Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri July 25th, 2014, 18:15 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun November 25th, 2012, 20:36 GMT 

In Episode 28, "Sleep", Bob Dylan states the difference between the 3 Louisiana styles of music:
Creole,
Cajun,
and Zydeco

Can anyone post here his exact words? It is a great quote and I can't seem to grab it every time in comes by.

PostPosted: Mon November 26th, 2012, 02:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bob sez: The difference between cajun, creole & zydeco must be hard to pin down if you don't listen to a lot of 'em but here's a couple of handy hints:

cajun tends to sound more like early country . It's typically a waltz or a two step.

creole's very similar but the rhythm's tend to be more pronounced and the vocals are a bit more blues influenced.

zydeco on the other hand sounds more like gospel or r&b with accordian and rub-board washboard.

A lot of people who play one kind won't play with people who play another kind, but me personally, I never understood any kind of border patrol when it comes to music.

I'd add: cajun is traditionally the music of white Louisiana "Acadians"; creole and zydeco are traditionally African American forms. But I'd go along with Bob - who needs a border patrol?

PostPosted: Mon November 26th, 2012, 03:00 GMT 

Very good! Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Mon November 26th, 2012, 04:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

I thought that was on the 'dancing' show? i listened to half a dozen last week for the first time in ages - they are so brilliant! "Nixon - the most misunderstood man of the 20th century".... "Shakespeare - Def poet" another 100 shows please Mr Dylan....

PostPosted: Mon November 26th, 2012, 13:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
I thought that was on the 'dancing' show? i listened to half a dozen last week for the first time in ages - they are so brilliant! "Nixon - the most misunderstood man of the 20th century".... "Shakespeare - Def poet" another 100 shows please Mr Dylan....

Nope, 'twas "sleep". It followed the 1958 'swamp pop' hit "Another Sleepless Night" by Jimmy Clanton. An old friend of mine is credited with coining the term 'swamp pop' ...

(I must track down the show where he compares his voice to Pavarotti's or Caruso's :P - just can't remember which show it was. Any one know?)