Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 16:51 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 04:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks very much Sphere and amo, for the play by play.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 04:39 GMT 

Surprised that Jolene closed. Kind of a meh closer IMO.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 04:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was hoping he'd dump Jolene for Shake Shake.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 05:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
Word, Q.
Thanks, friends!

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 05:53 GMT 

Bob seemed to be having a good time, he interacted a lot with Charlie during the first few songs. At one point, Charlie flipped his guitar around and pretend-shot Bob and then flipped it back to continue playing lead. And After TOTM, Bob took off his hat to Charlie for a split second.

Can't wait for the recording to surface, I was front stage directly in front of Bob after they let the front row seat people move to the stage. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:09 GMT 

'Gonna Change My Way of Thinking'! Wot the Newman? The Seinfeld Four returning (first of five shows was on tonight) for reunion and Bob sings about Jesus! It's a Festivus Miracle!

What's next? Raisins in bagels?...

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:17 GMT 

I was there in 4 row. Have to say that it was a very enjoyable show. Change my way ofthinkin was the new version. Bob was at center stage more than other shows. Charlie did really good but at times missed it. Don't get me wrong, the magic is back. Charlie interacting with bob a lot. The only reason I could tell was because Charlie made dissapointing faces after he missed a lick or two. The first part of the sow was stellar but it had to be because opening with gonna change was unreal. Oh other biggie was Dylan wearing a diamond wedding band. No joke, maybe someone has mentioned it before but it was really shiny on definitely on his ring finger.

Dylan plyed the same guitar from afi. Oh what else can I remember?

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

uuhhhh he's been wearing those for the past few years... since 07 I think..... have you seen him since then?

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

jayk61 wrote:
, At one point, Charlie flipped his guitar around and pretend-shot Bob and then flipped it back to continue playing lead.

I can't stand him already.... :roll: I'm sorry. He annoys me.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:23 GMT 

no I hadn't seen him since he last played the pacific northwest. So I have not seen his bling before tonight.

slightly new arrangement of highwater. The band gets knew quiet on the verse and the rythym and vocals were more folky than the rock version on bs8. Sorry for the poor grammar and typos . I'm on my iPhone :)

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

hahahahahahaha I knew you hadn't seen him... you couldn't have..... if you reported the ring as big news.... that's funny. sometimes he wears one on each hand, sometimes one, and sometimes none.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:34 GMT 

I only catch him on the west coast. It's probably been a couple years since I have seen him live.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 06:45 GMT 

I'm pretty sure that the last verse in Nettie Moore was new/improvised. We'll have to hear the boot if someone recorded it.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 07:13 GMT 

Wow!! This was a fantastic show, my fourth Dylan concert (I'm a new fan as of Spring 2009). Bob seems extremely fresh and fluid so I guess opening night is a good time to see him! Seattle showed the love with a sold-out crowd at the beautiful historic Moore Theatre.

Honestly, you would never know Bob is in his late 60s by the way he moves and sounds. This was a super-long show with 16 songs! This is really some of the best rock-and-roll/blues/whatever-you-call-it on the planet. I especially liked the new tunes from Beyond Here Lies Nothing, and also Not Dark Yet and Shooting Star. Did not miss AATW and BITW, although I like those too, because the sets were full, rich and satisfying as is. I wish I could thank him and the band and crew somehow....I guess he already knows. I've got it -- maybe I'll buy a Christmas album! :D

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 07:21 GMT 

Read all about it at my blog:
http://theglenblog.blogspot.com/2009/10 ... attle.html
or at Blogcritics.org:
http://blogcritics.org/music/article/co ... -and-his1/

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 07:28 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
Show is up at Dime!

(Just kidding)

i hadn't scrolled down enough to see the brackets, so i shot off to dime immediately and was hunting everywhere for it. Very confused why i couldn't find it anywhere!!!

That's a very crude joke indeed!!!!

:evil: :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 07:44 GMT 

shadow wrote:
rimbaud wrote:
Show is up at Dime!

(Just kidding)

i hadn't scrolled down enough to see the brackets, so i shot off to dime immediately and was hunting everywhere for it. Very confused why i couldn't find it anywhere!!!

Scroll down? It was right below!

Sorry anyway.

The last nights of the last song were still ringing when I made this post!

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 08:13 GMT 

that must have been you amo, boppin n texting right in front of me...i didnt tell you who i was on here..but anyway..that was a great show..i was surrounded by awesome people.. we all were rockin to the tunes for sure~.. bob looks great, hes got energy to burn from the look of him tonite. Not Dark Yet was a total surprise to me .. i almost got teary eyed.. it was close. Cant wait to see how it goes tomorrow nite too.. and i hope i see amo and friends there~ t.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 08:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

A small review from someone at the Pool.
As for the Charlie love, wait'll you hear what's in store. It's not just that it's a different guitarist, it's that it's a change in sound. It's no secret that Bob's just as adaptable to who he plays as he is able to dictate what he wants. And Charlie is an incredible guitarist, completely different than what we've had. And no one has been more sad about the loss of Denny than me. I am a huge fan and think back fondly on the last four years. But again, after hearing yesterday, I am very excited about his return. In a way, it feels like a return to an older more loose style of playing but incorporating what Bob's done in the last 4 years (organ, Stu and Donnie, Modern Times) that it'll be a whole new show.
There's plenty to be excited about. I'll definitely give my post-show thoughts tonight, but now I'm gonna go get some coffee & wait in line.
Bob's back!!!! "

I really cannot wait to hear this!

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 08:34 GMT 

shadow wrote:
rimbaud wrote:
Show is up at Dime!

(Just kidding)

IFYOUCAN'TSCROLLWHATAREYOUDOINGONTHEINTERNETANYWAY??!!!

I mean really, DUDE!!!

Show's up on Hunger City now, btw.

(Jes' kiddin')

Now THIS was mean.

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 09:10 GMT 

don't get me wrong, friends. I'm not blaming rimbaud for my own stupidity. I acknowledge that it was right there, and most of the time i can manage to scroll down, it's just that i was so excited by the setlist and so looking forward to hearing what must be the most amazing set of songs for a very long time i would think.

Unlike some, i was really looking forward to the new tour, but i never envisaged anything like this. What are the chances of ever guessing those first four songs???? I am pumped....

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 09:12 GMT 

ps. http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=723111

is the link on hunger! Sounds good quality too!!

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 09:42 GMT 

So were "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" with the original "Slow Train" lyrics, or with the quite different lyrics he recorded with Mavis Staples in 2002?

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 09:50 GMT 

Can anyone tell us did Charlie's playing sound different to his guest spot earlier in the year? I'm assuming that with his own equipment (rather than using Bob's guitar that night), there was more of a return to the sound he employed around 2000?

PostPosted: Mon October 5th, 2009, 10:29 GMT 

Josepi wrote:
A small review from someone at the Pool.
As for the Charlie love, wait'll you hear what's in store. It's not just that it's a different guitarist, it's that it's a change in sound. It's no secret that Bob's just as adaptable to who he plays as he is able to dictate what he wants. And Charlie is an incredible guitarist, completely different than what we've had. And no one has been more sad about the loss of Denny than me. I am a huge fan and think back fondly on the last four years. But again, after hearing yesterday, I am very excited about his return. In a way, it feels like a return to an older more loose style of playing but incorporating what Bob's done in the last 4 years (organ, Stu and Donnie, Modern Times) that it'll be a whole new show.
There's plenty to be excited about. I'll definitely give my post-show thoughts tonight, but now I'm gonna go get some coffee & wait in line.
Bob's back!!!! "

I really cannot wait to hear this!

Uh that was actually me on another thread describing the soundcheck I heard the night before.

Anyway, let me just say that it was by far the best show of my Bob watching career. Charlie basically injects a huge dose of adrenaline into the band. Pretty much every song was the best version I'd heard in a very long time. Strangely, for me, the big highlight of the night was actually Like A Rolling Stone. And that said a lot to me tonight. Bob delivered a fiery intense version. And it was all in reaction to Charlie. He'd saunter over to where Bob was standing, pick up a riff, and let loose on a solo that would be the best solo you've heard in that song again in a very long time. It was a very interesting setlist. Change My Way Of Thinking set the tone just right. It's a new band everyone. Get used to it. And there he was again, going down on one knee, at the feet of Bob like a supplicant, and he'd tear it up at every opportunity. By the time Beyond Here Lies Nothin rolled around, it was really exciting. You realize that this is the way this song and all the songs in his latest repertoire should be played. He just f'n tore it up. Great to hear a showman finally get into these songs that needed some fire since their inception. Don't get me wrong. Denny was missed. I missed his sound on I Don't Believe You. I really missed his graceful solo on When The Deal Goes Down, and Jolene didn't ever really get its trademark riff. But its interesting to see how different these two guys are and how differently they play his now standards of the last three albums. High Water was super-charged, the closest its come to the strength of the song in 2003. But it also is now also in its current incarnation with the new rhythm and Tony's new bass riff. It was easily the best Lonesome Day Blues I've ever heard. Bob on organ now makes sense with a killer guitarist playing with him. The rest of the band also loved Charlie, lots of smiles and impressed jamming from Donnie and George. Nettie Moore was very different. Charlie sliding notes up after a verse just added a little nuance that made the song that much more freshly realized. And Bob almost always answered Charlie's passion with his harp center stage. Great interaction with that combo every time they did it. he danced around the entire night and was really into the show from beginning to the very end. He seemed really loose often walking over to the organ midway thru a song after crooning at the mike a la 1995. But honestly it's just a whole new fun vibe. Bob and Charlie duetting guitars on Don't Think Twice finally made Bob's guitar playing make sense. They played with each other instead of over top of one another. Highway 61 was monstrous and Ballad of a Thin Man was terrifying.
Overall, there is much to love about this new sound, but most importantly it reinvents these songs once again and breathes a wild new life into them.
They all felt very live tonight.

I cannot wait for LA...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next