Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat February 24th, 2018, 02:29 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 16:29 GMT 

My son (Dylan) was the LUCKY fan in the front row at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee on 8-1-11 that got an autograph from Bob onstage at the end of the show, on a 1930's Hohner harmonica that belonged to my father. Check out the link below for a story the Tennessean did on my son. Great pictures!

WOW! Still can't believe it happened!

THANK YOU BOB!! :D

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2011 ... field-fan/

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 16:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Tell us a bit about meeting the band, there's Tony's and George's autographs on your son's shirt.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:03 GMT 

oh, my god - Bob's growing old: just like other stars he plays the same songs every show and signs fans' stuff… ;-)

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:09 GMT 

I posted in the other thread dogtear but I'm curious, please tell us more about the harmonica thing. This is how I picture it... It's the end of the show, Bob's standing there in formation, notices super cute little boy in the front, boy is holding up harmonica (it its case or not in its case?), Bob walks over, crouches down to reach for it, boy hands it to him, Mom almost dies, Bob stands there signing in and hands it back. Yes? Close? Who had the marker? Did Bob gesture like "hey, want me to sign this?". Was there a pat on the head afterwards? A high-five? Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Your son's now in an elite club with Carla Bruni. Good to see that Bob doesn't just sign things for the glamour model wives of presidents! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:15 GMT 
Mercury Member

That is fantastic! Glad to hear that it won't be sold, too. Nice story...

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

very cool!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweet Melinda wrote:
I posted in the other thread dogtear but I'm curious, please tell us more about the harmonica thing. This is how I picture it... It's the end of the show, Bob's standing there in formation, notices super cute little boy in the front, boy is holding up harmonica (it its case or not in its case?), Bob walks over, crouches down to reach for it, boy hands it to him, Mom almost dies, Bob stands there signing in and hands it back. Yes? Close? Who had the marker? Did Bob gesture like "hey, want me to sign this?". Was there a pat on the head afterwards? A high-five? Thanks for sharing!

Bob probably thought Dogtear was handing him her phone number, only to be cockblocked by a 12 year old with a harmonica. Realizing he was beaten, he decided to sign the harmonica to save face.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:20 GMT 

My son & I hung out (for hours) around the (hot garbage smelling) alley to the left of the building hoping to catch a glimpse of Bob
arriving. While we were out there Charlie came out for a smoke & I said to my son "go over & ask him to autograph your shirt" & Charlie very graciously signed his left shoulder. Then, a few minutes later Tony Garnier came out & he signed the right shoulder. Charlie came out again an hour or so later & my son said should I ask him for a backstage pass & I laughed (knowing what the answer would be no) & said "go ahead". He went up to Charlie & said "have any backstage passes?" & Charlie smiled & said "sorry, all out". " Both of them were VERY nice. I have great pictures of them signing his shirt & a great one of Charlie posing with my son. We never did get to see Bob arrive but the hot garbage smelling alley was still fun & momorable.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hello dogtear72, I just love these kind of stories, thank you for sharing.... and welcome to ER.....

and to Harry Truman, you are bad..... but funny.........and just maybe right :lol:

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

dogtear72 wrote:
We never did get to see Bob arrive but the hot garbage smelling alley was still fun & momorable.

You know, he usually goes in just before hitting the stage, when people are inside already.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:43 GMT 

Congratulations to you and your son! Thanks for sharing the story--the photos are great! Fortunately, I got to see it this person since I was also at the concert.
LOL @ Harry

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:44 GMT 

What a wonderful story! You and especially your son, you are so incredibly lucky!

Thanks for sharing! :D

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
dogtear72 wrote:
We never did get to see Bob arrive but the hot garbage smelling alley was still fun & momorable.

You know, he usually goes in just before hitting the stage, when people are inside already.

not true

maybe sometimes, but certainly not usually...I've seen him enter many times and it was not just before hitting the stage

glad your boy got the autograph!!!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:53 GMT 

love to see the experts debate!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:56 GMT 

What a fantastic story!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 17:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

jman wrote:
love to see the experts debate!

and you love to make snide remarks too....don't forget that

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 18:02 GMT 

ok, here's how it went down:

Well, let me start off by saying I've been a huge fan of Bob's since I was a teenager (I'm 38). I promised my son I would take him to see Bob in concert a long time ago & just wanted to wait until he was old enough to really enjoy it. When I found out that he was going to be at the Ryman tickets were already sold out. I found someone who had the front row center stage tickets for sale & just had to bite the bullet & buy them.

Right before we left our house the day of the show, I said to my son "let's take one of your harmonica's". My son inherited a nice little (antique) collection of Hohner harmonica's from my father when he passed away 3 years ago. My son was very excited about the possibility of getting an autograph & ran upstairs & brought down his 1937 Hohner harmonica. I honestly thought he would never get an autograph from Bob, especially on a harmonica & an antique one at that. But, I knew my son would enjoy trying.

After getting our tickets we hung out (for hours) around the (hot garbage smelling) alley to the left of the building hoping to catch a glimpse of Bob arriving. While we were out there Charlie Sexton came out for a smoke & I told my son to go over & ask him to autograph his shirt & Charlie very graciously signed his left shoulder. Then, a few minutes later Tony Garnier came out & he signed the right shoulder. We never did get to see Bob arrive but it was still fun & memorable hanging out in the hot garbage smelling alley.

When Leon Russell finished playing his last song his lead guitar player was pulling his guitar pics out of his mic stand & I motioned to him to throw one our way & he threw one to my son & seconds later the drummer walked up to my son & gave him the drumstick he used & it was pre-signed! I said jokingly to my son "now all we have to get is that harmonica signed".

When Bob came out I went through my usual min-nervous breakdown I always have for the first 5-10 minutes when I see him live. My son had a sparkle in his eye & a grin from ear to ear the whole concert. I swear Bob looked at my son so many times when he was center stage. Even the people around us were saying Bob's staring at or locked in your son. It was odd! I caught my son rockin' out quite a few times. He was so cute & it was such a great experience for us to see Bob together front row at the Ryman. If the autograph didn't occur it still would have been an incredible memory for us.

***We had derived a plan earlier to take the harmonica out of my purse & the case it was in when the lights went down for the encore. The Ryman doesn't allow fans to have musical instruments in the building. My son put the harmonica on the stage right in front of him right before they started with Blowin' In The Wind. At the end of Blowin' In The Wind, Bob & the band lined up & started their usual "shows over" routine & my son & I both looked at each other at the same time & said "NOW"! My son raised the harmonica up in the air in one hand & the Sharpie marker in the other hand. Then my son motioned like he was signing it himself & then he yelled "Bob Please"! My son shook them both a couple more times in the air. The band started walking off the stage & Bob walked up to the his mic & paused for second, then walked right up to my son & took the harmonica & the Sharpie from him, signed it & handed it right back to my son. Bob never said a word & I was so lucky to have snapped the most perfect picture of Bob (hat to boot) while he was signing the harmonica with my cell phone. After Bob walked away my son & I turned around & a large crowd of people were moving towards us. Men & women started yelling things like: "Did Bob give that to you?", "I'll give you 30 bucks for it", "Did Bob sign that?", "Do you know how lucky you are?", "Bob doesn't sign autographs", "This going to go viral", "Let me see it", "You're a lucky boy", "He doesn't do that", "I've seen Bob over 70 times & I have never seen him do that", etc, etc....... It was SO overwhelming! I was crying & shaking. My son was white as a ghost. I said to my son early in the day "were never going to forget this day". So odd because it turned out to be SO true.

Something else I should mention about my son is that he joined his school band last year when he started 6th grade. He began playing the trumpet, then piano, then french horn all within months. He had no interest in school prior to 6th grade & now he doesn't want to miss a day & his grades are fantastic. He said on the way home after the show he is going to really focus on learning to play the harmonica after hearing Bob play it live. He will not be playing the autographed one though! I believe that this experience will only strengthen his interest in music.

Check out this link of my son playing Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony 2nd
movement, on french horn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXA_wrbKXc

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 18:17 GMT 

Kerry was kind enough to share her story and photographs and I have created a page which displays them on Bob Links.

http://www.boblinks.com/autograph-ryman.html

Bill

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 18:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Milkcow wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

not true

maybe sometimes, but certainly not usually...I've seen him enter many times and it was not just before hitting the stage

He certainly doesn't go out of his way to give people the chance to meet him. Yes, we know you did. I guess you only go to seated shows and have more time to wait around back doors. However, if the entrance to any venue is not away or railed off from the crowd lining up for GA, he won't go anywhere near there before people are inside.

Bill, great addition to your site!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 18:31 GMT 
Senior Moderator

It's an uplifting story, well told too, I enjoyed reading it. Best wishes to the lucky mother and son.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 18:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

He certainly doesn't go out of his way to give people the chance to meet him. Yes, we know you did. I guess you only go to seated shows and have more time to wait around back doors. However, if the entrance to any venue is not away or railed off from the crowd lining up for GA, he won't go anywhere near there before people are inside.

never said he talked to anyone.... I just said he doesn't always go in right before he goes on stage.... and who is we? I don't think I've posted before that I saw him enter a venue, did I? or are you referring to me meeting him? I didn't mention that at all, nor would I in someone else's thread about their GREAT memory of Bob... thanks for bringing it up :roll:

anyway, If a show is GA (and the Ryman wasn't so there was a possibility of seeing him enter), and the stage entrance is not blocked and people are standing there.... I wouldn't expect any artist to walk through it.

Look, I'm not here to start a pissing contest with you over when Bob enters a friggin venue.... it's not a big deal and it doesn't matter anyway because he won't usually even turn around while walking in. He has, but it is not usual. You said he usually enters right before he goes on stage. All I said was that it may happen often, but it is not usual since I (or someone else) have/has seen him enter the venues long before he goes on stage (since 2005). No hidden meaning there and no references to anything.

Anyway, back to why I'm in this thread.... I love the fact that the mom took a pic of Bob signing the harmonica and she got a GREAT shot of his snazzy boots.

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 19:02 GMT 

dogtear72 wrote:
ok, here's how it went down:

Well, let me start off by saying I've been a huge fan of Bob's since I was a teenager (I'm 38). I promised my son I would take him to see Bob in concert a long time ago & just wanted to wait until he was old enough to really enjoy it. When I found out that he was going to be at the Ryman tickets were already sold out. I found someone who had the front row center stage tickets for sale & just had to bite the bullet & buy them.

Right before we left our house the day of the show, I said to my son "let's take one of your harmonica's". My son inherited a nice little (antique) collection of Hohner harmonica's from my father when he passed away 3 years ago. My son was very excited about the possibility of getting an autograph & ran upstairs & brought down his 1937 Hohner harmonica. I honestly thought he would never get an autograph from Bob, especially on a harmonica & an antique one at that. But, I knew my son would enjoy trying.

After getting our tickets we hung out (for hours) around the (hot garbage smelling) alley to the left of the building hoping to catch a glimpse of Bob arriving. While we were out there Charlie Sexton came out for a smoke & I told my son to go over & ask him to autograph his shirt & Charlie very graciously signed his left shoulder. Then, a few minutes later Tony Garnier came out & he signed the right shoulder. We never did get to see Bob arrive but it was still fun & memorable hanging out in the hot garbage smelling alley.

When Leon Russell finished playing his last song his lead guitar player was pulling his guitar pics out of his mic stand & I motioned to him to throw one our way & he threw one to my son & seconds later the drummer walked up to my son & gave him the drumstick he used & it was pre-signed! I said jokingly to my son "now all we have to get is that harmonica signed".

When Bob came out I went through my usual min-nervous breakdown I always have for the first 5-10 minutes when I see him live. My son had a sparkle in his eye & a grin from ear to ear the whole concert. I swear Bob looked at my son so many times when he was center stage. Even the people around us were saying Bob's staring at or locked in your son. It was odd! I caught my son rockin' out quite a few times. He was so cute & it was such a great experience for us to see Bob together front row at the Ryman. If the autograph didn't occur it still would have been an incredible memory for us.

***We had derived a plan earlier to take the harmonica out of my purse & the case it was in when the lights went down for the encore. The Ryman doesn't allow fans to have musical instruments in the building. My son put the harmonica on the stage right in front of him right before they started with Blowin' In The Wind. At the end of Blowin' In The Wind, Bob & the band lined up & started their usual "shows over" routine & my son & I both looked at each other at the same time & said "NOW"! My son raised the harmonica up in the air in one hand & the Sharpie marker in the other hand. Then my son motioned like he was signing it himself & then he yelled "Bob Please"! My son shook them both a couple more times in the air. The band started walking off the stage & Bob walked up to the his mic & paused for second, then walked right up to my son & took the harmonica & the Sharpie from him, signed it & handed it right back to my son. Bob never said a word & I was so lucky to have snapped the most perfect picture of Bob (hat to boot) while he was signing the harmonica with my cell phone. After Bob walked away my son & I turned around & a large crowd of people were moving towards us. Men & women started yelling things like: "Did Bob give that to you?", "I'll give you 30 bucks for it", "Did Bob sign that?", "Do you know how lucky you are?", "Bob doesn't sign autographs", "This going to go viral", "Let me see it", "You're a lucky boy", "He doesn't do that", "I've seen Bob over 70 times & I have never seen him do that", etc, etc....... It was SO overwhelming! I was crying & shaking. My son was white as a ghost. I said to my son early in the day "were never going to forget this day". So odd because it turned out to be SO true.

Something else I should mention about my son is that he joined his school band last year when he started 6th grade. He began playing the trumpet, then piano, then french horn all within months. He had no interest in school prior to 6th grade & now he doesn't want to miss a day & his grades are fantastic. He said on the way home after the show he is going to really focus on learning to play the harmonica after hearing Bob play it live. He will not be playing the autographed one though! I believe that this experience will only strengthen his interest in music.

Check out this link of my son playing Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony 2nd
movement, on french horn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXA_wrbKXc

Lovely and wonderful, happy for you and your son!

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 19:04 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

never said he talked to anyone.... I just said he doesn't always go in right before he goes on stage.... and who is we? I don't think I've posted before that I saw him enter a venue, did I? or are you referring to me meeting him? I didn't mention that at all, nor would I in someone else's thread about their GREAT memory of Bob... thanks for bringing it up :roll:

anyway, If a show is GA (and the Ryman wasn't so there was a possibility of seeing him enter), and the stage entrance is not blocked and people are standing there.... I wouldn't expect any artist to walk through it.

Look, I'm not here to start a pissing contest with you over when Bob enters a friggin venue.... it's not a big deal and it doesn't matter anyway because he won't usually even turn around while walking in. He has, but it is not usual. You said he usually enters right before he goes on stage. All I said was that it may happen often, but it is not usual since I (or someone else) have/has seen him enter the venues long before he goes on stage (since 2005). No hidden meaning there and no references to anything.

Anyway, back to why I'm in this thread.... I love the fact that the mom took a pic of Bob signing the harmonica and she got a GREAT shot of his snazzy boots.

I hope both of you will be writing books like Dylan suggested!
Milkcow wrote:

and you love to make snide remarks too....don't forget that
You make it all too easy Milky, thank you for that! :lol: