Go to main page
It is currently Thu August 21st, 2014, 04:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 15:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

When was the last time Bob sang the

"When it all came crashing down / I became withdrawn"

verse?

I just realized that it wasn't there this tour. Has it been gone for long? I think there were times in recent years when he would sing that verse....

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 15:48 GMT 

I just checked the shows I've been to this year. He sang it definitely in Mainz in June 2011. That should help narrow it down, I hope.

Last edited by XRaylroad on Thu November 24th, 2011, 15:52 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 15:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Interesting, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 17:29 GMT 

New Orleans, July 26 2011
If only there was a recording :(

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 18:05 GMT 

:?

PostPosted: Thu November 24th, 2011, 18:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

When will he next sing it? in the bath?

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 02:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

he sang it in april, too

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 03:06 GMT 
Mercury Member

Wasn't there in August, I don't think.
Not sure why it matters though.
Fun tidbits?

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 05:48 GMT 

The last time he sang the "keep on keeping on" line was at Borlange, Sweden on 7/2/2011, last concert of the first European Tour.

Pretty sure he replaced it with the "she lit a burner on the stove" verse at the start of the US tour 2 weeks later.

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 10:07 GMT 

Unless I'm mistaken, he sang the "Keep on keeping on" verse and "lit a burner on the stove' verse at Thackerville on the 23rd of July, but then again it's late at night in my time zone and my mind could be fabricating these memories. But I'm pretty sure he sang both. Keep on keeping on is my favorite line in that tune and I was happy that he sang it at a show that I attended. I'll take a listen to the boot in the morn.

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 10:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

I found this interesting because it's actually an important verse for the song. The current four verse version seems really stripped down. It's usually very well performed though.
I can't find any summer tour videos of Tangled on youtube, so I wasn't sure quite when he stopped singing this.

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 11:54 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I found this interesting because it's actually an important verse for the song. The current four verse version seems really stripped down. It's usually very well performed though.
I can't find any summer tour videos of Tangled on youtube, so I wasn't sure quite when he stopped singing this.

Aren't all verses of this song important? I can only speak in terms of me, but I'd like to hear the entire song; but those days are over, I guess. :(

Slightly off-topic: when was the last time he played the entire song? Does anyone know that perchance?

PostPosted: Fri November 25th, 2011, 18:07 GMT 

I was also at Thackerville and he did play "keep on keeping' on," as well as the following two nights.
Here it is at Pensacola: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZWC7EQEDzo
The boot for Canyon Lake TX can attest to this fact.

PostPosted: Sat November 26th, 2011, 02:44 GMT 

I think the truncated version he's been doing since 2010 shows that every single verse is important to the song. The arrangement's good, but the song has lost something.

PostPosted: Sat November 26th, 2011, 03:28 GMT 

Well, I didn't see Bob Dylan in 2011 :( but when I saw him at Rothbury in 2009, he did the entire song, and it was a highlight, not only of that concert but out of all 9 shows I've been to.

Then when I saw him in 2010, he did Tangled Up in Blue with...wait for it.....3 verses! I don't want to say I was upset, but I was disappointed. It is his music, and he can do whatever he wants with it, but only getting 3 verses is kind of like only getting to lick the Thanksgiving turkey and not eating it.

PostPosted: Wed November 30th, 2011, 03:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Imagine if he ever goes back to a few Dylan-only acoustic guitar breaks? Remember when the band left the stage for 3 songs in the middle? I miss those, and it wasn't that very long ago. I don't remember any Tangled verses being left out then. Don't get me wrong, I like it any way I can get it, so 2011 was good!

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 03:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Imagine if he ever goes back to a few Dylan-only acoustic guitar breaks? Remember when the band left the stage for 3 songs in the middle? I miss those, and it wasn't that very long ago. I don't remember any Tangled verses being left out then. Don't get me wrong, I like it any way I can get it, so 2011 was good!

It's been a long while since the 3 song accoustic set within the set...in the middle of the set. Miss those myself. My problem with Tangled nowadays is....he guts the song. He leaves out half the verses of one of his greatest story songs...rendering it incoherent...for anybody who doesn't know the story. Funny...he almost never leaves a verse out of HW 61...when you can leave out all but the first and final verse, and not miss a thing. And he plays 112 verses of Desolation....when you can skip a whole lot of verses and not miss a thing. But...it's been years since he's played Tangled in it's entirety. (If memory serves me well.)

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 03:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

I don't know Wineman, I'm listening (this moment) to Esch-sur-Alzette from October of this year and I'm really enjoying this rendition of Tangled. I must admit, there was a period in the mid 2000's where I was sick to death of it. This is a really a treat though. "Some are doctors and lawyyyyyers wives..." It doesn't feel at all "gutted" to me. (Thank you soomlos!)

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 03:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

I didn't say there haven't been enjoyable versions/performances. But how can ya say it hasn't been gutted, when half the verses are left out? It's not a surrealistic song with 20 stanza's, and if you skip one here and there, it means nothing. He leaves out a good portion of the story. That's gutting a song. Sing the song, Bob...the whole song. Don't sing 3 out of 6 verses. But HW 61...is sung to completion every single show? I could do without her complextion being much too white...but don't leave out verses from Tangled. He's made Tangled a token hit...like he has with Like Rolling Stone...which he hasn't sung to completion in...how many years? (Although you can skip verses of LARS and still get the picture. Whereas you can't with Blue.) Yeah...I'll give the fans what they want...and sing a part of one of my best known songs. That'll satisfy them.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 04:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

wineman wrote:
you can skip verses of LARS and still get the picture. Whereas you can't with Blue.

Maybe I've heard it so many times that the picture is engrained in my head. I'm finding the latest version quite enjoyable for the first time in many years. We gotta drink some wine together and sort this out.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 04:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

I agree with it being ingrained...that's exactly it. But...how about the listener...who's told "Bob's songs are all about the lyric"....then they sit back and listen (IF they can understand him)...and hear a story that lacks cohesion...because he sings every other verse?

But I agree about the wine. And after all's said and done, we'll probably agree to disagree. Not really...I break people down in the end. Red or white?

Actually I was thinking about doing a wine thread. "Wineman's Holiday recommendations" 8)

I was also thinking of writing a group of wine songs: Life is a Cabernet, Living in Zin, Leave Me a Rhone, Kay Syrah Syrah, etc.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 04:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Does the original have "cohesion"? It's certainly not a story song in the standard sense. It is a lyrical masterpiece, however, a song of unfathomable mysteries and richness, and when it's not complete it definately loses some of it's magic. I love the new arrangement though, and seeing it live in 2010 was a highlight of the show - which is amazing considering how sick I was of the song during all those years (seems like a decade) when it was played nightly. Would it be better if he sang all of it? Of course - he's a frustrating bastard and always has been 8)

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 04:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sure the original is cohesive. And the arrangements are almost always pretty good. No complaint there.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 05:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

Quote:
wineman wrote: But I agree about the wine. And after all's said and done, we'll probably agree to disagree. Not really...I break people down in the end. Red or white?

It's true that it's stripped down to the Reader's-Digest-condensed-version. No question there. I mean, he's keeping only 4 out of 7 verses for public consumption right now. But gutted? It's still a good musical meal for me. I don't mind if someone leaves out details of a story I've heard a million times as long as the discussion is energetic and fun. And, accordingly, the memories too.

OK, so the new listener doesn't learn about cooking in the great north woods, getting sacked and ending up in NOLA to go fishin' and chase women. Or about going home with a flirting stripper. Instead, they only know about the morning after, which might be any day. The new listener misses the basement scene, the music, the revolution, the slaves and things going down the tubes again like it did up the north woods. They don't get the full pick-yourself-up-kick-yourself-in-the-ass-and-face-reality feeling of inspiration. Instead, they get the singer trying to just go find his lost love.

But, I don't think the average Dylan concert goer is really paying that close attention. Everyone's on their friggin' smart phones texting and calling their friends about being at the show or whatever else. It's an A.D.D. society, my friend. Half of them are trying to talk to one another about something that doesn't matter. I try to tune them all out and attempt to focus.

Anyhow, a long way around the barn to tell you that I think I get what you are saying, Wineman, and I'm OK with it. I suggest that we start off with Burgundy before we hit the harder stuff...I Can't Wait.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2011, 09:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
Have any of you guys ever taken lsd?