Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 25th, 2018, 06:25 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2009, 13:29 GMT 

Long Johnny wrote:
Milkcow wrote:
can you make a motivational schlong poster? i would really love that

Yes, but then I'd get banned. :shock:

Wonder if there are pictures of Dylan playing (guitar) with it.
What a solo would that be?

PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2009, 18:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUpMvnKLDQ

PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2009, 21:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

Or this. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2009, 02:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Futile Horn wrote:
Long Johnny wrote:

Yes, but then I'd get banned. :shock:

Wonder if there are pictures of Dylan playing (guitar) with it.
What a solo would that be?

oh don't get me started.... or all fired up...it's thanksgiving...hahahahaha

PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2009, 02:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Long Johnny wrote:

Or this. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I knew you'd come through with something!!!!!

xo

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 17:24 GMT 

Early 2007 gigs. Worst "Not Dark Yet" of all time.

Stockholm, I'm looking at you.

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 18:04 GMT 

The title of this thread is an oxymoron.

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 18:21 GMT 

I've heard shows from the Larry-Charlie era where Bob plays pretty much every solo himself, with his guitar turned up at least twice as loud as everyone else. I often wonder what was going through Larry and Charlie's minds during those solos.

Bob could sometimes peel off a pretty good solo in the 90s, though; I like his playing from the 1998 Grammy performance. And, going back a bit further, I didn't know until recently that Bob played lead guitar on 'Saving Grace': https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p338w

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 19:12 GMT 

To the question of can Bob even play bass. Of course he can play the bass. If you can play guitar, you can play bass. Obviously, that doesn't automatically make you Tim Drummond, but the strings are the same. It's not rocket science.

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 19:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

I long for the return of the one note wonders of Bob's soloing expertise.

Never heard what I would consider a bad guitar solo from Bob. On many occasions I asked myself "where did that come from" because it caught me off balance and during numerous mystifying experiences I have asked myself "where is this going?"

Just some of the joys of listening to Bob do a guitar solo. (He needs to do more solos on a Telecaster...)

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 20:08 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I long for the return of the one note wonders of Bob's soloing expertise.

Never heard what I would consider a bad guitar solo from Bob. On many occasions I asked myself "where did that come from" because it caught me off balance and during numerous mystifying experiences I have asked myself "where is this going?"

Just some of the joys of listening to Bob do a guitar solo. (He needs to do more solos on a Telecaster...)

Hear, hear! Bob's solos are far superior to Led Zeppelin or any of those flashy pretenders. We need more of them.

PostPosted: Fri May 18th, 2018, 22:07 GMT 

I agree with TimEdgeworth1. Case in point: Here's video proof of Bob not only shutting down what would surely have been an awesome solo from Charlie (at 1:59), but he does his crappy plinka-plinka-plinka nowhere solos throughout. Yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMDO_lvSQYE

PostPosted: Sat May 19th, 2018, 08:39 GMT 

What about that horrible 76 Maggie's? :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat May 19th, 2018, 13:51 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:

I learned harmony and the pentatonic scale from that intro guitar line!
I think the actual lead break in the song is Mick Ronson, and it's a good solo.

I always thought it was funny how, during You're a big girl now (on hard rain), Dylan plunks away with his little pentatonic noodlings while the violin solo is going. Good thing they kept it low in the mix. As a guitarist who does a lot of leads, I can't stand it when someone tries to solo at the same time as me. It's one of the rudest things for a musician to do!

PostPosted: Sat May 19th, 2018, 23:13 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
dylanswife wrote:

I always thought it was funny how, during You're a big girl now (on hard rain), Dylan plunks away with his little pentatonic noodlings while the violin solo is going. Good thing they kept it low in the mix. As a guitarist who does a lot of leads, I can't stand it when someone tries to solo at the same time as me. It's one of the rudest things for a musician to do!

Yeah, he has made this a habit throughout his entire career. Even at the piano, Bob will plink plonk over a lead. I'm not sure what point he is trying to make.

But back to this show, I never really got into it, be it in audio or video form. It does showcase a few interesting things rarely seen; Bob full of lead guitar, solos, one offs, and slide guitar licks.

Here's MF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0o_0b5 ... .be&t=1732

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 08:17 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtla286CTUo

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 09:55 GMT 

dylanswife wrote:
Winter Lude wrote:

Yeah, he has made this a habit throughout his entire career. Even at the piano, Bob will plink plonk over a lead. I'm not sure what point he is trying to make.

But back to this show, I never really got into it, be it in audio or video form. It does showcase a few interesting things rarely seen; Bob full of lead guitar, solos, one offs, and slide guitar licks.

Here's MF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0o_0b5 ... .be&t=1732

I suspect his point is to remind us who he is and that he's not like anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 12:41 GMT 

This is what I'm talking about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-rH0JwUHg

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 13:50 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
This is what I'm talking about: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-rH0JwUHg

Bob taking minimalism to a new level, or should that be low, with that one. Bob clearly enjoys taking lead solos, and they also seem to keep him interested in what he's doing, but there's very few instances where they actually add to the performance. In fact most of the times they detract simply because they stopped excellent players like Sexton, and Campbell, from expressing themselves fully.
How people can defend Bob's lead playing is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 14:05 GMT 

You can almost hear Larry's thoughts: "As long as the next paycheck clears, I'll keep strumming." And here's another Charlie video, free of Grumpy Bob:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emajeiEdDqk

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 14:36 GMT 

He plays lead guitar like he plays harmonica. His harmonica is safe because you can't hit a bad note. Lead guitar is a minefield of bad notes.

If you're gonna play lead in a live situation, you have to be really good. There are so many highly skilled guitarists, lousy ones never make it into a professional band. Unless it's their band.... BOB!

Think of the lost opportunities. Bob has worked with so many great players, and each one of them would have been honored to sit and show him things. Go through the list - it's staggering. A weekly lesson and a daily 30-minute practice routine with metronome would have transformed Bob's lead playing in very little time. It would take just a couple weeks to take what he had and turn it into something palatable. He could never have been a great lead player, but he could smooth out his picking technique and learn where the sour notes are and how to avoid them.

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 14:58 GMT 

I suspect that Bob might have been playing like that on purpose to amuse himself, just to see what people around him were prepared to put up with. He's definitely not a bad guitar player, as his acoustic albums show, so that's the only explanation that I can think of. The move to keyboard was a great move, in that it gave Larry and Charlie room to really show what they could do.

PostPosted: Sun May 20th, 2018, 21:14 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
....He's definitely not a bad guitar player, as his acoustic albums show, so that's the only explanation that I can think of. ...

There's a world of difference between strumming an acoustic tune and playing leads. Most people who play guitar are not well rounded enough to do both proficiently. That's what separates the real players from the hacks. Being a solid rhythm player who doesn't do leads is much better than being a good lead player who can't hold down a rhythm. Bob has done some impressive acoustic work, mostly on the earliest stuff. The first album is jaw dropping at times, I don't know how he pulled it off. With a good teacher and discipline in practicing he could have been a much better guitarist in the later years.

PostPosted: Mon May 21st, 2018, 01:20 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
Bob has done some impressive acoustic work, mostly on the earliest stuff. The first album is jaw dropping at times, I don't know how he pulled it off. With a good teacher and discipline in practicing he could have been a much better guitarist in the later years.

Yes, it's stunning how proficient he is on Bob Dylan (1962) and then how rudimentary he is on Another Side (1964). It's actually kind of inexplicably weird, but then that pretty much defines Bob anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 22nd, 2018, 02:01 GMT 

Winter Lude wrote:
Being a solid rhythm player who doesn't do leads is much better than being a good lead player who can't hold down a rhythm.

Not if lead guitar is what's called for. :) Plus, it's hard to be a "good" lead player without being able to hold down a rhythm.

panther wrote:
Yes, it's stunning how proficient he is on Bob Dylan (1962) and then how rudimentary he is on Another Side (1964). It's actually kind of inexplicably weird, but then that pretty much defines Bob anyway.

Drifting away from Folk.

bobfan wrote:
they also seem to keep him interested in what he's doing,

There it is.

I'm all for it. He plays with more soul than some of the other guitarists he's had in the band. They sometimes sound like they're on autopilot. At least when you're lost on the fretboard you are not on autopilot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next