Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 1st, 2014, 02:18 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 11:50 GMT 
Senior Moderator

There'll be the opening with all the connoissuers sipping champagne, nibbling little canapes and talking in their art appreciating voices - I wonder if Bob will turn up.

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 11:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

I was wondering about that too, since he's got September off the road as far as we know. But then, he never turned out for the previous openings, either.

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 14:44 GMT 
Senior Moderator

moonlightransom wrote:
So who's going to this? If I lived (slightly nearby) in the US I'd be there in a heartbeat. However, I'm way up in Toronto and it's about a 10-11 hour trip by bus, one way. It may just be the insanity bit of insomnia kicking in, but I think it might be do-able. Am I crazy?

I'd like to go see them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to see Elvis Costello in NYC in October so I'll plan on heading to the gallery during the day.

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 19:27 GMT 

I went to see the Brazil Series in Copenhagen this Spring and it was really a great experience. They had the big "clothes line" picture right in front when you enter, and it was by far the best one of those series in my opinion, very impressive, made you fantasize about all kinds of stories going on, before, after, outside the frame. No matter what people might say of his technique, they work, I think they're very sensitive and emotional/empathical?(is that a word?), behind/within the actual motive.
They make you feel! :) Especially the oil paintings, which have that more texture than the water colours. It's really worth seeing, a totally different experience than seeing the reproductions on TV/PC.
They also have a video room, showing a bit of Bob Biography and some critics talking about the pictures.
I heard the exhibition was extended until February because of the large crowds.

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 21:58 GMT 

Ursie Green Pastures wrote:
I went to see the Brazil Series in Copenhagen this Spring and it was really a great experience. They had the big "clothes line" picture right in front when you enter, and it was by far the best one of those series in my opinion, very impressive, made you fantasize about all kinds of stories going on, before, after, outside the frame. No matter what people might say of his technique, they work, I think they're very sensitive and emotional/empathical?(is that a word?), behind/within the actual motive.
They make you feel! :) Especially the oil paintings, which have that more texture than the water colours. It's really worth seeing, a totally different experience than seeing the reproductions on TV/PC.
They also have a video room, showing a bit of Bob Biography and some critics talking about the pictures.
I heard the exhibition was extended until February because of the large crowds.

Nice way to say that. I agree, and see no judgement about the subjects, but compassion. I would love to see them as you did.

PostPosted: Tue August 9th, 2011, 00:51 GMT 

Haha Johanna, I think you convinced me. Another ER-er from Toronto should join!

PostPosted: Sat August 13th, 2011, 16:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

Catalogue coming soon - with four (!) collectable covers. I don't usually invest in that kind of thing, but I'm a fool for Bob's art books. :roll: Even though I only have one of the two Chemnitz exhibition catalogues.
But hey, we get a glimpse at a few further paintings!
See here:
http://www.gagosian.com/publications/20 ... ia-series/

There's a new Bob interview in there, too!
Strangely enough, the book was designed and printed in the UK.

PostPosted: Sat August 13th, 2011, 17:55 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Ah, which cover to choose, which to choose. Or is like collecting all the variants of a comicbook and you get them all.

And I'm not sure that it is entirely strange that the book is designed and printed in the UK, there are, afterall, some presses here which produce beautiful books (which isn't to say that gorgeous books aren't printed and bound in the US, Canada, Europe, China and many other places too).

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 15:45 GMT 

The original...

and the Dylan adaptation...

Very, ah, "Warholian," for someone who doesn't think much of Warhol. :lol: The "Prick?"

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 15:53 GMT 

This may be his best yet. Get ready for the ill informed news articles entitled 'Dylan speaks out on Vietnam'.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 18:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

I still think it's been put on the site by mistake - it doesn't look like one of Bob's works. Either a mistake or some kind of joke. What you see under "selected works" on the Gagosian website is only one from the Asia Series if we don't count the Life one - Opium. The other two are from the Brazil Series.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 18:54 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
I still think it's been put on the site by mistake - it doesn't look like one of Bob's works. Either a mistake or some kind of joke. What you see under "selected works" on the Gagosian website is only one from the Asia Series if we don't count the Life one - Opium. The other two are from the Brazil Series.

Agree and disagree. :lol: I think it's real and think it demonstrates both the quirky Dylan humor and obsessions. "The Shadow," "The Mask," and "The Bowl" are pure pulp with an Asian theme. All we'd need is a reference to Dr. Fu-Manchu. We get Vietnam and Life in one painting. And if that painting ain't a nod to the whole "Dylan steals" meme, I'll eat my bolero hat.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 19:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's not a painting at all though, it's a "scan with some additional typing on it"? It looks nothing like the other works in that series that we can see (there's 5 known so far).

If you or someone else can explain the references, I'd be much obliged though.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 19:18 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's not a painting at all though, it's a "scan with some additional typing on it"? It looks nothing like the other works in that series that we can see (there's 5 known so far).

If you or someone else can explain the references, I'd be much obliged though.

As I said, "The Shadow," "The Mask," and "The Bowl" and "The Underworld" all feel like pulp references, and there are numerous examples of Dylan's love of pulp fiction. I suspect, that given the period he grew up, Vietnam has more associations to Dylan with smoky opium dens, the "yellow peril" and evil heathens bent on nefarious schemes than it before it became America's Bane.

"The Prick" confused and confuses me :lol: but leaving aside the thought that many grievous wounds began with a mere pin-prick, as did the U.S. involvement in 'Nam, the wide-read Mr. D. might have read that the PRC-25 Radio, the most widely-used by the U.S. Army, was nicknamed, "The Prick." You can come up with similar explanations for several of the other additions, but there's only one man who could say what they mean for sure... and if the past is evidence, I doubt if he'll say.

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 19:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Of course, the interview in the new catalogue will reveal all about it! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 19:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

See Bob make a drawing in '86.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpXBk0WTYmE

PostPosted: Sun August 14th, 2011, 21:09 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Original painting
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5590 ... 02jets.jpg
F102 jets Feb 1966... so far, this painting stand world wide on the name of Larry Burrow .

I don,t think it's a Dylan painting but who knows ... time will tell ... so far it's a mystery .
How has painted F102 Larry Burrows ore Bobby Dylan ????????????????????
I hope the interview in the new catalogue tell us more and I think jp wil be the firts one to tell us I think she already has ordered the catalog .
The two magazines are identical there is no difference in the covers .

PostPosted: Mon August 15th, 2011, 07:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Blue Midnight wrote:
I hope the interview in the new catalogue tell us more and I think jp wil be the firts one to tell us I think she already has ordered the catalog .

You can't order the catalogue yet, it's still "coming soon".

PostPosted: Fri August 26th, 2011, 05:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

There's a rumor that Bob's been seen in Philadelphia near the Art Museum recently, and someone over at NEP reasons that he might have been to see a Rembrandt exhibition there - Rembrandt being one of Bob's favorite painters.
http://www.theneverendingpool.com/compo ... 3/catid,6/

PostPosted: Fri August 26th, 2011, 14:28 GMT 

Anybody know if this gallery is gonna be open on weekends in October?

PostPosted: Mon August 29th, 2011, 21:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: I was looking for a job and then I found a job and...
"The art world still awaits official details of the forthcoming show of paintings by Bob Dylan, which, as Artnet Magazine reported in July, is slated to bow at Gagosian Gallery, Sept. 20-Oct. 22, 2011. Though the famed folk troubadour has previously exhibited his artworks in London and Germany, New York has not yet had the pleasure. The Gagosian show includes 18 new paintings, called “The Asia Series,” inspired by the Dylan’s travels."
http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/news/a ... -stars.asp

See also: http://www.gagosian.com/artists/bob-dylan/ which has some visuals.

PostPosted: Tue August 30th, 2011, 03:33 GMT 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61322

PostPosted: Fri September 9th, 2011, 08:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

From today's front page - there has been a press release and a few more painting titles are now known.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/ ... wanted=all

The other day I read that there will be "only" 18 new paintings. I guess we're spoiled by the 400 Drawn Blank Series paintings and 40 Brazil Series works.

PostPosted: Sat September 10th, 2011, 16:00 GMT 

DId he draw that image on the LIfe Mag cover?

PostPosted: Sat September 10th, 2011, 17:11 GMT 

never saw that "Opium" painting before. Can't wait to go and see it. Is all his other work going to be shown? not just the asia series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 903 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next