Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 31st, 2014, 21:36 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon December 12th, 2011, 23:31 GMT 

The four CD set of Dylan covers is about the50th anniversary of Amnesty International, which is probably the foremost human rights group on the planet. At various times here in numerous threads, I have pointed out the huge influence that the music of Bob Dylan has had on civil and human rights movements here in America and around the world. Some of the so called experts have said, "baloney, it's a minor part of his work, and no big deal"etc., and he doesn't really care about that stuff. Wrong.

PostPosted: Mon December 12th, 2011, 23:46 GMT 

is someone going to cover Hallelujah?

:lol:

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 00:00 GMT 

i liked.. Drifters Escape..Patti Smith, Simple Twist of Fate, Diana Krall (hometown gal~~) Paul Rodgers n Nils Lofgrend doin Abandoned Love, and Pete Seger doin Forever Young.. just cuz hes livin the dream, not just dreaming thru it. Best *like* goes to Evan Rachel Wood for I'd Have You Anytime.. that was just beautifully done.

i LOVED Dierks Bentleys version of Senor.. Ziggy Marley doin Blowin', Gaslight Anthem doin Changin of the Guards, Elvis doin License to Kill, Natasha Bedingfield doin a great version of Ring them Bells, Belle Brigade doin No Time to Think. Sinead gets honourable mention for her version of Property of Jesus.. she does have a way around any song to call it her own...well done~

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 13:29 GMT 

XRaylroad wrote:
What's wrong with the I'm Not There soundtrack? Jim James and Calexico's cover of Goin' to Acapulco is worth the price alone.

I must say this version made me buy "I'm Not There" Soundtrack, best version ever. Even better than Dylan himself, Jim james evokes happiness just perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 19:17 GMT 

OK I love Sinead's version of Property of Jesus

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 19:56 GMT 

arabia wrote:
OK I love Sinead's version of Property of Jesus

So do I and I haven't even heard it yet.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 20:02 GMT 

Really, what this collection proves is that "Like a Rolling Stone" is more or less uncoverable. I have never heard a cover that does it justice. I haven't even heard a Dylan version post-1966 that comes close to the defiant heart of the thing.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 22:37 GMT 

Guys,
is this record going to be available only online?
no iTunes, no shops?

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 23:10 GMT 
Senior Moderator

No, my local record store has it for preorder.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 23:22 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
No, my local record store has it for preorder.

Good.
That's one of those items I want in *hardware*
:)

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2011, 23:22 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

What a wonderful tribute to Dylan... I will be buying this album as soon as it hits the shops... and it's further evidence of the impact that Dylan's work has had on 'human rights'... yes, sometimes 'human rights' may be political correctness gone mad... but I will feel proud when I buy my copy, knowing that it's going to a great cause.

I think that Amnesty could sell more copies if they promote it right... why don't they say that for every copy sold they will let a prisoner go free... that way, loads of folk in prisons will also buy the album... it would be like a lottery ticket for prisoners.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 02:42 GMT 
Mercury Member

Can't do it. I need Dylan doing Dylan. I'm done with covers. No way am I sitting through 76 of these when I could be studying boots. I've fallen for this before many a time. I won't do it.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 02:50 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Can't do it. I need Dylan doing Dylan. I'm done with covers. No way am I sitting through 76 of these when I could be studying boots. I've fallen for this before many a time. I won't do it.

But what will you do if they release an album of Bob Dylan doing Bob Dylan covers?

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 03:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

circus sands wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

But what will you do if they release an album of Bob Dylan doing Bob Dylan covers?

I think I covered that under "I need Dylan doing Dylan."

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 11:13 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

What a beautiful world is Dylan's world.
Same love, opposite reactions most of the time.
to me it's true the antipodal opposite!

The NET has dried me out completely; I can hardly listen to any post80s live Dylan.
Covers, instead, sometimes really get me on top of the world and make me even reconsider Dylan's stuff I had neglected for years.
It's the case of The Chemical Brothers' Desolation Row and/or Ash's Dusty Old Fairground.
(beautiful!!!)

I've listened to the samples of the album and most of the tracks are pure bliss.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2011, 12:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

Giuseppe Gazerro wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

What a beautiful world is Dylan's world.
Same love, opposite reactions most of the time.
to me it's true the antipodal opposite!

The NET has dried me out completely; I can hardly listen to any post80s live Dylan.
Covers, instead, sometimes really get me on top of the world and make me even reconsider Dylan's stuff I had neglected for years.
It's the case of The Chemical Brothers' Desolation Row and/or Ash's Dusty Old Fairground.
(beautiful!!!)

I've listened to the samples of the album and most of the tracks are pure bliss.

I think that it is wonderful to have musicians paying tribute to Bob through his music. Wonderful. So, please don't get me wrong. This is an honorable project supporting a good cause. If this gets you to reconsider neglected pieces of the library, then I think that is fantastic. I'm just not doing backflips over the chance to hear more covers, that's all. And, yes, I enjoy the differing opinions of the Dylan people in the world. Makes it interesting and rich. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2011, 10:54 GMT 

I THINK THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT TRIBUTE TO BOB AND HIS MUSIC. FOR ALL THE"UNHARMFUL GENTLE SOULS MISPLACED INSIDE A JAIL" AND ALL OF THE BEAUTIFUL WORDS HE HAS WRITTEN ABOUT FREEDOM, WILL CHIME FOREVER!!!!

ALSO A GOOD IDEA TO INCLUDE ARTISTS FROM ALL AGE GROUPS AND KINDS OF MUSIC. SO MORE AND MORE PEOPLE CAN BE PART OF THE ANSWER THAT IS" BLOWING IN THE WIND"!!

LOVE YOU BOB

PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2011, 11:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think its crap. I shall donate the price direct to Amnesty. Bah, humbug!

PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2011, 13:35 GMT 
Mercury Member

Amnesty International are one of my clients. I will see if I can get a free copy.

PostPosted: Thu December 15th, 2011, 14:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cheers Ben!

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2012, 20:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Here's Mileys take.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI20c01S1Ug

Nice one too.

PostPosted: Wed January 4th, 2012, 23:43 GMT 

Taj Mahal's version of Bob Dylan's 115th Dream is AWESOME.

PostPosted: Wed January 11th, 2012, 22:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

The Avett Brothers will perform on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on January 19th!! We will play our rendition of "One Too Many Mornings" - a track we sang along with the late-great Johnny Cash for the Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan: Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International. The album will be available January 24th!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5