And so ends Phase 1
of the vinyl poll. I've burned my way through my Dylan vinyl collection,
with a few exceptions:First:
I have Witmark Demos
and Tell Tale Signs
to put out there.
I will get around to this soon...Second:
I will eventually acquire most of the rest (there are a few I can get from the library too). I've left out some of the BEST yet, including H61, BIABH, Knocked out LOADED...even "L&T" - so I'd like to save these top pics
for the grand finale. Third:
I have no interest in evaluating the live albums this way, doesn't make much sense to me, but if anyone else does, by all means feel free.
I have no idea when I will get my hands on the following: WGW, GAIBTY, and L&T, so if anyone would like to poll these, go right ahead!
(I'd be interested to know how many ER members have WGW on vinyl).
Actually, I just saw that GAIBTY is now available as an import on Amazon, so I may indeed get that soon! Has the re-issue been well received?
So, we have some albums with clear favorites.
Some with dead ties (from which I infer that they are perfect albums
And some that people just got wrong.
Here's a wrap-up so far:
CLEARLY EXEMPLARY SIDES:Modern Times
- DISK TWO -> Working Man Blues/Beyond the horizon/Nettie Moore/Levee/Ain't talkin'Time out of Mind
- DISK 1, SIDE TWO -> Tryin' to get to Heaven/'Til I fell in love with you/Not Dark Yet
(but keep voting, we need to explore the other sides, especially so that we can compare Highlands to Lowlands)Empire Burlesque*
- SIDE TWO ->Trust yourself/Emotionally yours/When the night comes falling from the sky/Something's Burning/Dark Eyes.Infidels
- SIDE ONE -> Jokerman/Sweetheart like you/Neighborhood Bully/License to KillShot of Love
- SIDE TWO -> Dead Men/In the Summertime/Trouble/Every Grain of Sand
(technically I should do a t-test to make sure they are statistically different,
but since my pick was favored, I made an upper management decision to be lazy and not to
- I guess I'm a TROUBLE maker)Saved
- SIDE ONE -> Satisfied Mind/Saved/Covenant Woman/What Can I do for you?/Solid Rock
(no love for Pressing On)Slow Train Coming
* - SIDE ONE -> Gotta Serve Somebody/Precious Angel/I Believe in You/Slow Train ComingStreet ~ Legal
- SIDE TWO -> Is your Love in Vain?/Senor/True love ttf/We better talk../Where are you tonight?Desire
- SIDE ONE -> Hurricane/Isis/Mozambique/One More Coffee please/Oh, sisterPat Garrett and Billy the Kid
* - SIDE TWO -> Turkey Chase/Knockin' on Heaven's Door/Final Theme/Billy 4/Billy 7Self Portrait
- SIDE ONE -> All Tired horses/Alberta #1/I Forgot more.../Days of 49/Early Morning Rain/In Search of Little Sadie
(I'm guessing few have bothered to listen to it all the way through
- SIDE TWO -> Lay Lady lay/One more night/Tell me it isn't True/Country Pie/Tonight I'll be with staying here with you Greatest Hits Volume II
- SIDE FOUR -> If not for you/Baby Blue/Tomorrow is a Long Time/Masterpiece/I Shall Be Released/You Ain't Goin Nowhere/Down in flood
(the people have spoken and they like the previously unreleased)Basement Tapes
- SIDE FOUR -> You ain't goin' nowhere/Don't Tell Henry/Nothing was Delivered/Open the Door, Homer/L-D operator/This Wheel's On FireBlonde on Blonde
- DISK 1, SIDE TWO -> I want you/Memphis Blues/Leopard-skin/Just like a woman
(at least we got the critical one right, 3 way tie for second place too, that's pretty good.)Another Side of Bob Dylan
- SIDE ONE -> All I really want to do/Black Crow Blues/Spanish Harlem Incident/Chimes of Freedom/I Shall be Free/To Ramona The Times They are A-Changin'
- SIDE TWO -> Only a Pawn in their Game/Boots of Spanish Leather/When the Ship Comes In/Hattie Carroll/Restless FarewellThe Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
- SIDE ONE -> BITW/Girl from the North Country/Masters of War/Down the Highway/Bob Dylan's Blues/Hard RainBob Dylan (debut)
- SIDE TWO -> Gospel Plow/Baby Let me follow you down/House of the Rising Sun/Freight Train Blues/Song to Woody/ See.. my grave... clean
TOO CLOSE TO CALL:Oh Mercy New MorningPlanet Waves
TOO EARLY TO TELL (get voting people):Christmas in the HeartBiographDown in the Groove
more than 16 of you have listened to it...come on now. be brave.
There's a clear favorite, but i need at least twenty to cap it.
OOPS YOU GOT THAT WRONG:Dylan
-should not have received any votes. It was a trick question. It ended up too close to call. I understand, it's a tough choice, and most participants were probably drunk. Together Through Life
- Disk 1 won by a long shot. But really it's too early to tell. Feel free to continue voting.
But really I think we had a lot of album haters pick the one song they liked on this album, Forgetful Heart
Yes it's hard to pass up, I know. It's just one song, come on now.
The correct answer is probably 'too close to call.'John Wesley Harding
- SIDE ONE won by a long shot. Side two was underrepresented. Again another dreadfully tricky question. Everyone who voted needs to do penance. To pick any one side was a Cardinal Sin. Say three Hail Mary's and listen to the album indefinitely, then call me in the morning. Some posters weren't tempted. They have heard the album's message. Blood on the Tracks
- SIDE ONE was favored. The correct answer should have been 37 to 38 in favor of side two. You may be in real trouble if you voted on both this pole and JWH's. Your penance is to listen to the Christian Trilogy until you see the light.
*approached nearly unanimous territory