Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 19th, 2014, 04:38 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 06:38 GMT 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27229983

Bob Dylan's original hand-written lyrics for his ground-breaking song Like a Rolling Stone are to be sold at auction in New York in June.

Experts at Sotheby's have described the manuscript as "the most significant piece of rock material to appear at auction."

Dylan wrote the song in pencil on four small sheets of hotel stationery in 1965. The manuscript features corrections, revisions and additions.

Sotheby's say bids could reach £1m.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 07:11 GMT 

On a totally unrelated note--anybody want to lend me £1m?

I'm good for it, I swear.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 07:45 GMT 

I hope it goes to a museum or any other place where it can be viewed publicly. This is not just a fan item. I wonder who sells it?

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 07:48 GMT 

Can anybody identify the hotel the stationery comes from? I can't see it on the picture in the link.
Anyway, I would buy it,if I could.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 08:13 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
I hope it goes to a museum or any other place where it can be viewed publicly. This is not just a fan item. I wonder who sells it?

"The manuscript is being sold by a Californian friend and business associate of Dylan, who bought it from the singer three years ago."

I wonder how much Dylan sold it for!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 08:17 GMT 

Interresting. I wonder WHY he sold it, too. Seems he is organizing his legacy.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 10:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here's the NY Times article: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/ ... paper&_r=0
You can see the stationery better - it's the Smith Hotel in Washington, DC.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 10:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wasn't this sold just recently?
Or was that something else? The complete mid-'60s seem to be on auction these days.
:?

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 11:20 GMT 

There were some hand written lyrics included with he recent Newport guitar sale:
https://music.yahoo.com/news/dylan-39-electric-guitar-newport-sale-073208018.html

"Christie's also is selling five lots of hand- and typewritten lyric fragments found inside the guitar case — early versions of some of Dylan's famous songs.
The lyrics for sale include "In the Darkness of Your Room," an early draft of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" from Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" album, and three songs from the record's 1965 recording session that weren't released until the 1980s: "Medicine Sunday" (the draft is titled "Midnight Train"), "Jet Pilot" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover."

I'd love to see those lyric sheets! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 14:14 GMT 

Can someone post Direct Links to the Images?

I don't know why, but they aren't visable to me in the article when I click the link.

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 18:13 GMT 

WoollyRockers wrote:
There were some hand written lyrics included with he recent Newport guitar sale:
https://music.yahoo.com/news/dylan-39-electric-guitar-newport-sale-073208018.html

"Christie's also is selling five lots of hand- and typewritten lyric fragments found inside the guitar case — early versions of some of Dylan's famous songs.
The lyrics for sale include "In the Darkness of Your Room," an early draft of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" from Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" album, and three songs from the record's 1965 recording session that weren't released until the 1980s: "Medicine Sunday" (the draft is titled "Midnight Train"), "Jet Pilot" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover."

You can.
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/bob-dylan-guitar/

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 18:32 GMT 

This affair shows that modern culture knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing. For this, perhaps we should be thankful. Just as there is more intrinsic value in the performance of Hamlet by any village amateur dramatic society than in the discovery of an original manuscript of the play, so there is more value in the original studio performance of this song by the original artist and his band than in this lyric sheet. Fortunately, this performance is available to us all for a few euro/dollars/pounds. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 1st, 2014, 21:28 GMT 

sadeyedprophet wrote:
WoollyRockers wrote:

You can.
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/bob-dylan-guitar/

Excellent! Thank you Hmm...Uranium Sunday. I like that. I'm going to study these! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 2nd, 2014, 01:11 GMT 

WoollyRockers wrote:

Excellent! Thank you Hmm...Uranium Sunday. I like that. I'm going to study these! :mrgreen:

Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 2nd, 2014, 01:35 GMT 

Illy Dylan wrote:
Can someone post Direct Links to the Images?

I don't know why, but they aren't visable to me in the article when I click the link.

http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/embedded/1000x600/dylanlyrics-600x400-1398953536.jpg
Hope it works!

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 07:34 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
This affair shows that modern culture knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing. For this, perhaps we should be thankful. Just as there is more intrinsic value in the performance of Hamlet by any village amateur dramatic society than in the discovery of an original manuscript of the play, so there is more value in the original studio performance of this song by the original artist and his band than in this lyric sheet. Fortunately, this performance is available to us all for a few euro/dollars/pounds. :)

I'm more than surprised that this post didn't draw any comment or meet with any disagreement. This affair? What affair? Since when has this upcoming auction become an affair? A fellow is selling the handwritten lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone at Sotheby's. How does this constitute an affair? And the premise that any old village amateur dramatic performance of Hamlet outweighs in value the original Shakespeare manuscript is, quite frankly, absurd, insulting even- as is comparing village amdram with the recording of Like a Rolling Stone. Those handwritten lyrics, that manuscript, they were the genesis. Without them there would be no recording, no performance. You get to hold them, and you're holding the only original physical incarnation of those words, words that measure up against the most famous and memorable in the history of the English language. All great art, design, scientific breakthroughs made their fundamental passage to immortality in the simple mental then physical journey from mind and imagination to page, sheet or canvas. They should be priceless, but of course you can end up putting a price on anything, including that which is deemed priceless. And so, the original handwritten lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone will fetch a price at Sotheby's.

PostPosted: Sun May 4th, 2014, 13:52 GMT 

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

I'm more than surprised that this post didn't draw any comment or meet with any disagreement. This affair? What affair? Since when has this upcoming auction become an affair? A fellow is selling the handwritten lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone at Sotheby's. How does this constitute an affair? And the premise that any old village amateur dramatic performance of Hamlet outweighs in value the original Shakespeare manuscript is, quite frankly, absurd, insulting even- as is comparing village amdram with the recording of Like a Rolling Stone. Those handwritten lyrics, that manuscript, they were the genesis. Without them there would be no recording, no performance. You get to hold them, and you're holding the only original physical incarnation of those words, words that measure up against the most famous and memorable in the history of the English language. All great art, design, scientific breakthroughs made their fundamental passage to immortality in the simple mental then physical journey from mind and imagination to page, sheet or canvas. They should be priceless, but of course you can end up putting a price on anything, including that which is deemed priceless. And so, the original handwritten lyrics to Like a Rolling Stone will fetch a price at Sotheby's.

af·fair (ə-fâr′)
n.
1. Something done or to be done; business.
2. affairs Transactions and other matters of professional or public business: affairs of state.
a. An occurrence, event, or matter: The senator's death was a tragic affair.
b. A social function.
4. An object or a contrivance: Their first car was a ramshackle affair.
5. A matter of personal concern.
6. affairs Personal business: get one's affairs in order.
7. A matter causing public scandal and controversy: the Dreyfus affair.
8. A romantic and sexual relationship, sometimes one of brief duration, between two people who are not married to each other.

My use of the word 'affair' seems to trouble you. What is your problem?

I stand over my statement. My point is that a copy of Hamlet has just as much intrinsic value as the original, because the words are identical and it is in their particular arrangement and meaning that the value lies, not in the original ink or handwriting. Likewise, any copy of Lyrics shows us the words of LARS, not to mention any recording. The notion of some grossly increased value due to this original manuscript is a highly spurious one, mostly for the convenience of generating wealth. One can have feelings about these things as you describe, but that's only sentiment.

As for you're running down of the village amdram society: it's these people that you denigrate who keep Shakespeare alive-they are plays, not just words in a book and Dylan's works are songs, best exemplified on a recording or live performance, not just noted on a manuscript.

And: "insulting even- as is comparing village amdram with the recording of Like a Rolling Stone.": The insulting here is yours. Why necessarily should a village play based on Shakespeare be less a work of art than a performance by Bob Dylan? There may well be great actors involved, because they are not famous has nothing to do with it, no more than the obscure and forgotten bluesmen that Dylan based much of his work on. I'd advise you to think twice before denigrating folk art of any kind. It'll be there long after the big money Sothebys version of it.

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 19:21 GMT 

If you want to believe that a dog-eared paperback copy of Hamlet is worth as much as Shakespeare's original manuscript, and you're unhappy that the hand-written lyrics of LARS may fetch £1m at auction, that's your prerogative. However, I'm not having this:
Mickvet wrote:
As for you're running down of the village amdram society: it's these people that you denigrate who keep Shakespeare alive
Please don't twist my words into a fabrication that I'm running down and denigrating amdram (or folk art), in a crude attempt to gain some kind of moral high ground here. All that does is destabilise your argument further. Oh, and these people that I don't denigrate should also not be accorded the sole credit of keeping Shakespeare alive today, as you imply. If you don't believe me then I suggest you pay a visit to Stratford-upon-Avon or Southwark, and check out the new National Curriculum:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10166697/National-Curriculum-overhaul-pupils-to-study-more-Shakespeare.html

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 20:43 GMT 

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
If you want to believe that a dog-eared paperback copy of Hamlet is worth as much as Shakespeare's original manuscript, and you're unhappy that the hand-written lyrics of LARS may fetch £1m at auction, that's your prerogative. However, I'm not having this:
Mickvet wrote:
As for you're running down of the village amdram society: it's these people that you denigrate who keep Shakespeare alive
Please don't twist my words into a fabrication that I'm running down and denigrating amdram (or folk art), in a crude attempt to gain some kind of moral high ground here. All that does is destabilise your argument further. Oh, and these people that I don't denigrate should also not be accorded the sole credit of keeping Shakespeare alive today, as you imply. If you don't believe me then I suggest you pay a visit to Stratford-upon-Avon or Southwark, and check out the new National Curriculum:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10166697/National-Curriculum-overhaul-pupils-to-study-more-Shakespeare.html

Oh you can have your opinion and I'll keep mine. You could have had the manners to answer my question about your 'affair' fetish. That puzzled me.

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 21:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

I suppose their monetary value will be precisely what is paid for them, by definition. Speaking more philosophically, I'm with mickvet; these pieces of paper have value as a collector's item, like a Mickey Mantle baseball glove or one of Elvis' suits, or Bob Dylan's Newport guitar for that matter...but their intrinsic value is a different question. I think it's wonderfully to consider that the reason for all the hubbub (if I may use that word) is based on the classic recording, which anyone can purchase for $.99 and treasure for a lifetime.

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 22:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

Before they sell it to some private collector they need to take pictures of each page so you can see it in detail, put those in a PDF and put the PDF someplace on the Internet. Let's see where should that be? Some place where a lot of Bob Dylan fans go. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 22:35 GMT 

I would put this piece of paper, or papers, on par with an original sketch by da vinci. It's a matter of opinion. Supply and demand in a free marketplace. I'm not sure the aesthetic experience of hearing the song live is far superior to experiencing this historical document.

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 22:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

carnap wrote:
Before they sell it to some private collector they need to take pictures of each page so you can see it in detail, put those in a PDF and put the PDF someplace on the Internet. Let's see where should that be? Some place where a lot of Bob Dylan fans go. :wink:

Pictures? Here you go:
http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/secrets-of-like-a-rolling-stone-revealed-in-dylans-working-manuscript-for-the-song/

PostPosted: Mon May 5th, 2014, 22:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh thank you Johanna!
All right I'm good. They can sell it now.

PostPosted: Tue May 6th, 2014, 07:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

carnap wrote:
Oh thank you Johanna!
All right I'm good. They can sell it now.

You might want to have a look at the Poet / Painter section of the forum where I just started a Dylan manuscript thread the other day.