Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 10th, 2014, 14:10 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 01:48 GMT 

I don't think Gisele is all that pretty either. I think she looks kind of masculine without makeup, but then again I am kind of short. My sister thinks she is gorgeous. All I know is that the last picture I saw of her she didn't look that good and she had darker roots than I do (or did until a few days ago! :lol: ). However, I would love to be that skinny. Really, she must have a great life. Hi Shoregirl, I hope you are doing well. I do think Tom Brady is kind of a hunk though. Cock fight! Cock fight! :lol: :lol: Love, Joanna XOXO

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 02:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Funny, you seem like someone that would imagine something and then believe it.

okay not usually, but we had a whole topic here about how people imagine posters look like their avatar... and of course they don't.... same idea.... sometimes when someone writes since you don't see them, you assign a gender by a guess.... and then you end up thinking they are that gender until that person tells you otherwise....that's what I meant.

PS I don't look anything like Bob's ass.... except I am also small.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 02:34 GMT 

Milky does NOT look like Bob's ass at all. She is adorable and I do the same thing as she does - assign a gender based on the posts. It always surprises me when somebody turns out to be a girl and I thought they were a guy or vice versa. I do like Bob's ass though and it is quite adorable too especially in this picture. I wonder what it is doing tonight?? :D Love, Joanna XOXOXO

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 03:19 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
She's an Artist wrote:
There is something about this whole thing that just seems like there must be more to it than we know yet. Gagosian Gallery is HUGE in the artworld. Gagosian has had an interesting past. Even saying that, I don't think anyone would wish to face two lawsuits about the same issue within a year. I could be wrong. But it doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how anyone like Gagosian or also John Elderfield (a Chief Curator of Painting at MoMA for many, many years and the person who conducted the interview with Dylan that appears in the catalog for the Asia Series show) could have looked at the paintings we've seen from the photos from the Gallery and not immediately realized that these were painted from photos - they have that 'Tell Tale' look. And then asked Dylan outright to comment on his process. And if they still had any doubts, not to do a search on their own before signing a contract to show this work. Doesn't make sense.

And it is beyond laughable that they could see this work, that we've seen so far, and believe that it was Dylan's own 'visual journal' and 'firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, architecture and landscape'. It doesn't make sense.

If they knew that this work was done directly from photos that were not Dylan's - and if they knew he had cleared the rights to use this work - why would the catalog state that it was Dylan's own 'Visual journal' and 'firsthand despictions...'? And what would they have seen in this work that would make it so interesting for a major Gallery to show? (I'm hoping it was something more than the 'charm' of the signature.)

I keep thinking there has to be something more to this. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid.
Very perceptive post

Thank you, Doug.
I had one more thought which I forgot to mention in my comment. Why was the 'LIFE magazine cover' piece (which you asked the gallery to confirm as Dylan's work - and they did) used prominently on the Gagosian website to announce the upcoming Dylan show? It clearly had an 'Asian theme' - even if it bore no resemblance to the paintings in the show, beyond the fact that it was also an appropriated piece. They used it prominently, and yet, I believe that I've read, that it is not hanging with the exhibition or in the catalog. It was a 'focus' of sorts and yet not part of the actual show or included in the catalog. A missing puzzle piece, and another reason why I keep thinking there has to be something more to this. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 04:30 GMT 

She's an Artist wrote:

I had one more thought which I forgot to mention in my comment. Why was the 'LIFE magazine cover' piece (which you asked the gallery to confirm as Dylan's work - and they did) used prominently on the Gagosian website to announce the upcoming Dylan show? It clearly had an 'Asian theme' - even if it bore no resemblance to the paintings in the show, beyond the fact that it was also an appropriated piece. They used it prominently, and yet, I believe that I've read, that it is not hanging with the exhibition or in the catalog. It was a 'focus' of sorts and yet not part of the actual show or included in the catalog. A missing puzzle piece, and another reason why I keep thinking there has to be something more to this. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid.

it was a clue that he was painting from life

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 04:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^^ :shock:
Now that puts a different spin on things. Great. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 04:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

everything about that vietnam cover thing was relevant to the controversy that came later.

it was adapted closely from an existing thing
the shadow and the mask and the prick refer to bob
the test of time refers to his work
what happens next is obvious

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 05:01 GMT 

That was like a poem Tellmemomma! But I am now really confused. Obviously the photographs spoke to him and reminded him of things in his life, but can you explain it better. I am not trying to be a smartass; I am just intrigued by what you said so eloquently. Love, Joanna XOXOX

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 05:24 GMT 

The date of the Life magazine is also rather interesting.

Perhaps it was at one time considered as a "cover" image for the exhibition - for flyers, PR etc.?

Also, regarding the gallery's motivation for hosting the exhibition, given the hefty price of the paintings and the prominence of the artist, they are probably not concerned about possible legal costs (especially if they know it's all been cleared and paid for). 18X350,000 - gallery "cut" is considerable. Controversy can only help their sales.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 05:40 GMT 

Quote:
Controversy can only help their sales.
Duh. All those who have been wringing their hands about fellow ERers drawing attention to Bob via this thread take note.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 06:06 GMT 
Senior Moderator

geranium_kiss wrote:
The date of the Life magazine is also rather interesting.

The dimensions given for LIFE Magazine are another interesting aspect. 8 feet x 4 feet make it a pretty large work.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 06:48 GMT 

tellmemomma1966 wrote:
everything about that vietnam cover thing was relevant to the controversy that came later.

it was adapted closely from an existing thing
the shadow and the mask and the prick refer to bob
the test of time refers to his work
what happens next is obvious

I get that. I understood that - well maybe not exactly your take on the words, but the theme of the LIFE Cover. That's what I'm trying to say - and obviously not doing it well. Gagosian, Elderfield and Dylan are not stupid. There has to be something more here. According to the gallery, The LIFE Cover is confirmed to be a Dylan piece. It does seem that 'a game' was set from the start. Read that Cover. I assume Gagosian and Elderfield must have known exactly what Dylan was doing with these paintings. My guess is they have been in the artworld too long not to know what they were seeing. That Richard Prince has written a piece in the catalog leads me to believe that everyone must have known that this series was all about 'appropriation to the maximum'. The line that these paintings were Dylan's own 'visual journal' and 'firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, etc...' could only work publicly BEFORE these paintings went on view. I believe they all must have known that the photo sources would be found. And they were. So far: of the 18 paintings on view, 11 photos have been found. And what has that done? It's turned what seems to have been a PR game into a PR nightmare. Why would all of these intelligent people wish to put their credibility on the line, to this extent, if there isn't more to this than what we already know? Appropriation is not new in the art world. It is a part of art history. One artist 'borrowing' from another to create a new statement. It is USUALLY not the kind of almost total appropriating from a source that we see here. I really do believe that there is something more that we are still missing. At least I sure hope so. Because right now it seems that from the reporting of this Internationally that many people must be wondering how Gagosian could have been fool enough (or worse) to have mounted this exhibit and how Dylan could have been naiive enough (or worse) not to believe his photo sources would be found. This is alluded to on the LIFE Cover. I can't believe that they started this game to destroy their credibility. What would be the point? I believe there is a key to all this that we have not found yet.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 06:51 GMT 

Frank?

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 06:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

smlngfrgttntrth wrote:
Frank?

Exactly! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 10:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

She's an Artist wrote:
I get that. I understood that - well maybe not exactly your take on the words, but the theme of the LIFE Cover. That's what I'm trying to say - and obviously not doing it well. Gagosian, Elderfield and Dylan are not stupid. There has to be something more here. According to the gallery, The LIFE Cover is confirmed to be a Dylan piece. It does seem that 'a game' was set from the start. Read that Cover. I assume Gagosian and Elderfield must have known exactly what Dylan was doing with these paintings. My guess is they have been in the artworld too long not to know what they were seeing. That Richard Prince has written a piece in the catalog leads me to believe that everyone must have known that this series was all about 'appropriation to the maximum'. The line that these paintings were Dylan's own 'visual journal' and 'firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, etc...' could only work publicly BEFORE these paintings went on view. I believe they all must have known that the photo sources would be found. And they were. So far: of the 18 paintings on view, 11 photos have been found. And what has that done? It's turned what seems to have been a PR game into a PR nightmare. Why would all of these intelligent people wish to put their credibility on the line, to this extent, if there isn't more to this than what we already know? Appropriation is not new in the art world. It is a part of art history. One artist 'borrowing' from another to create a new statement. It is USUALLY not the kind of almost total appropriating from a source that we see here. I really do believe that there is something more that we are still missing. At least I sure hope so. Because right now it seems that from the reporting of this Internationally that many people must be wondering how Gagosian could have been fool enough (or worse) to have mounted this exhibit and how Dylan could have been naiive enough (or worse) not to believe his photo sources would be found. This is alluded to on the LIFE Cover. I can't believe that they started this game to destroy their credibility. What would be the point? I believe there is a key to all this that we have not found yet.

Or, maybe, just maybe they all got a bit greedy and either thought nobody would notice or that - more likely - the publicity would help sell more of the overpriced ripoff paintings, and promote the gallery at the same time?

There is no great mystery or game - just people wanting to fill their already overstuffed wallets. Dylan's a businessman more than artist these days.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 11:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I found it interesting that the original pieces on exhibit are not signed.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 11:38 GMT 
Mercury Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I found it interesting that the original pieces on exhibit are not signed.

He probably didnt do those ones then.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 11:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Of course not. Tony made them.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 13:24 GMT 

She's an Artist wrote:

As you know if you've been following the thread from its start, I've also felt that the Life cover is a deliberate message and something, given the image, of a preemptive strike against the whole "Dylan steals" meme. People were speculating about its meaning even before the "Opium" painting was discovered to be based on the Leon Busy photo. I think Dylan asked that it be placed on the Gagosian site as a representative "artist work" and that the Gagosian was instructed to respond to inquiries that it was part of the "Asia Series," knowing full well that speculation would increase when the image was placed in neither installation nor catalog.

I also think it deliberately Warholian and probably connected to this...

http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... =6&t=49396

Given his reference to Warhol in the Elderfield interview, one of the few times he's gone on record about Warhol and hasn't spoken of him with disdain, btw, and that the dimensions of the Life image are even larger than the Double Elvis that used to belong to Mr.D. I think someone is making a statement, as most of that (what I believe is a) bogus "interview" is a statement. The references to Duchamp, photos and camera obscura are very deliberate planted, in my opinion.

In some ways, the whole thing has become a work of art, hasn't it? as "She's an Artist" noted.

As to why the Gagosian and Elderfield would knowingly be a party to it, to misquote Una Merkel in the original "Parent Trap," I can think of more than six million reasons why, or at least a good chunk of that action, if they were actually aware that the paintings were based on photos. However, it's just as likely that they weren't, and chalked up the whole Life image thing as a wonderful example of Bob eccentricity.

And, in the end, what harm? I know from my research that Dylan licensed the two Magnum images. It's worth noting that when I contacted one of the photographers, it was obvious he wasn't aware of the situation and was shocked and a little angry when I informed him. A few days later when I followed up, he refused to make any comment. What had happened during the intervening period? I had contacted Magnum, that's what had happened. After checking with a few other sources, all of whom dried up as the story hit the media, it became clear that the lid had been clamped down and no one involved was going to say nothing to no one no how.

Anyway, if Dylan's people licensed two photos, I feel pretty confident that they also licensed any more they felt needed to be licensed. As to the Okinawa Soba photos, they're public domain and clearly stated so on his site. As he said in this thread, common Creative Commons practice is to acknowledge the source. But, as I said, would we really expect Bob Dylan to do that or expect any more or any less from someone who is a serial appropriator?

Again, I feel pretty confident that if any more photos are discovered, they also will be public domain or licensed.

And finally. just to note how over-the-top this has become, I recently received an email from someone who felt the Dylan additions to the Life cover were a hidden anagram and, when s/he had decoded them, found...

"Bob Butts Tempt," which, rather than some reference to Milkcow's obsession with Mr. D.'s posterior, my correspondent claimed was "obviously" making note of the fact that Dylan had a smoking addiction.

I'm afraid they were serious. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 13:36 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Quote:
it's just as likely that they weren't, and chalked up the whole Life image thing as a wonderful example of Bob eccentricity.

How do you explain this ..... if the live time cover is a Dylan painting what is it doing in the photo book of Larry Burrows
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media ... F8&index=3

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 13:42 GMT 

Blue Midnight wrote:

How do you explain this ..... if the live time cover is a Dylan painting what is it doing in the photo book of Larry Burrows

In a word, as I said, "licensing."

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 13:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Blue Midnight wrote:
Quote:
it's just as likely that they weren't, and chalked up the whole Life image thing as a wonderful example of Bob eccentricity.

Bob made the extra text on it...
that was pretty clear

@ Fred...hahahahaha oh please....it's all about me and my avatar... you're all just jealous... hahahahaha

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 14:14 GMT 

So you can put some text on something and then you have the rights or license of the subject and you can say it’s yours ?

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 14:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

No, licensing means you give money to the owner in order to use his image.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 14:38 GMT 

Okay now I understand .

sorry guys but I will never win a Nobel prize with my bad english :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next