Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon May 21st, 2018, 14:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue March 31st, 2009, 23:13 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
thajuggler wrote:
Looking for the download link :?: ...I'm flummoxed and embarrassed, as it can't be too hard to find.

Thanks in advance!

Link was only good for 24 hours. I'm sure someone here can upload it though.

Man, even worse...thanks for the help though! The article I read said midnight 3/30-midnight 3/31...a day late and a download short. Ah well...

PostPosted: Tue March 31st, 2009, 23:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

BDYLAN61 wrote:
Yeah - I love it. Don't think the lyrics are his best but love the sound. The only prob is that after I hear it i find myself singing 'Black Magic Woman'!

This is my very first post on expectingrain btw and I have been a regular to the site since about '98!

It's about time!! Were you named and shamed?

PostPosted: Tue March 31st, 2009, 23:21 GMT 

very, very, very mediocre. bland in the extreme, if that's possible.
is this really the same guy who gave us tambourine man, sad eyed lady, angelina, chimes of freedom, senor, its all over now, gates of eden, series of dreams, seven days, desolation row, its alright ma, rolling stone, queen jane, wiggle wiggle, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.............
bob, I first heard ya in 1965. has it really come to this?

PostPosted: Tue March 31st, 2009, 23:34 GMT 

Uh, I think some of Bob's lyrics in the new album will not be discerned without his code, once again.

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 00:59 GMT 

elizabethann wrote:
fleep wrote:
Searching for a meaning for this song, I Googled 'nothing lies beyond here', and got this via Google Book Search from 'Wordsworth's Biblical Ghosts':

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=AiDa ... #PPA146,M1

'...a metaphysical nothing- that which is no thing and not thing- is what is left at the end of ontology and theology: "Nothing lies 'beyond' ontotheology. This nothing is the unthought that we are now called to think."..' (etc)

If Bob can sort this, then he's a clever lad. He's not just a writer of simple pop songs about 'pretty baby'.

I tend to agree....very clever lad.

Much ado about Nothing?

Google that one! Have fun, Willy sure did, so does Bob. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 01:51 GMT 

Yes, BHLN........it's there and it's threatening to get up and grab you. Why doesn't it. Has Bob been taking Valium recently?

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 02:36 GMT 

Someone says it's the same music as Otis Rush's "All Your Love (I Miss Loving)"...

Here it is at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OafGFPbPsY

I gotta admit the 2 songs do sound alike. And the lyrics??

All the love pretty baby
I have in store for you
All the love pretty baby
I have in store for you
I know you love me baby
You know I love you too

All your lovin' I've been lovin'
All your kissin' I've been kissin'
Before I met you baby
I didn't know what I'd been missin'

Before I met you baby
I didn't know what I'd been missin'

All the love pretty baby
I have in store for you
All the love pretty baby
I have in store for you
I know you love me baby
You know I love you too

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 05:46 GMT 

terry_shute wrote:
very, very, very mediocre. bland in the extreme, if that's possible.
is this really the same guy who gave us tambourine man, sad eyed lady, angelina, chimes of freedom, senor, its all over now, gates of eden, series of dreams, seven days, desolation row, its alright ma, rolling stone, queen jane, wiggle wiggle, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.............
bob, I first heard ya in 1965. has it really come to this?

yes and the same guy who wrote honey just allow me one more chance, all i really wanna do, i'll be your baby tonight, to be alone with you, tell me that it isnt true, if not for you, one more weekend, on a night like this, rita may and any more number of simple love songs.

your memory is failing? was 'on a night like this' the sum total of planet waves?

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 05:59 GMT 

I like how the poster added in wiggle, wiggle into the list of songs...

Like Love Sick & Thunder on the Mountain, I think this is a cracker of an opener.

PostPosted: Wed April 1st, 2009, 10:27 GMT 

The more I find out about these words, the more I find my senses being sharpened for the album.

Bob's been an education to me ever since the first time I heard Blood on the Tracks, freshly released and played on the radio, under the blankets, in its entirety, about eleven o'clock on a school night, and wondered, amongst many other wonderings, just how things went on for Verlaine and Rimbaud. A few weeks later I was reading The Drunken Boat, the first few pages of it, anyway: Bob had pointed out something worthwhile along the way. Then there was that Italian poet from the 13th century...

Now he’s got me reading Ovid.
“Here is the ultimate torture for me, exposed amid foes. What banished person lives more remote from home? Beyond here lies nothing but chillness, hostility, frozen waves of an ice-hard sea”

The lines are from Tristia ('Sadness') written by the Roman poet Ovid some time after he was banished from Rome in AD 8. He’d been sent to Tomis, on the Black Sea, where he eventually died.

How fitting that Bob should even now be up in chilly northern Europe – the lands of his ancestors - pumping out the never-ending stuff .

Wikipedia tells us that Tristia “holds out the poet's hopes for alleviation of his punishment.” It’s a plea for understanding, as well as a defence of the poetic arts.

And now I’m reading these lines:
“Little book — and I won't hinder you — go on to the city without me:
Alas for me, because your master is not allowed to go!”
and seeing how he could not help but feel somewhat the same about Together Through Life.

I don’t think these words are hackneyed or trite or cast off thoughtlessly. I do wonder if the rest of the lyric is completely improvised, or whether he’s tried it few times.

I think he felt a great affinity for that title phrase, must have been buzzing in his head so strong that he wanted nothing more than a stomping slice of Chicago blues to launch it as a meditation. Cue All Your Love (I Need Loving). Of course he knows the Otis Rush track, the same one John Mayall latched on to when he had a fresh-faced Eric Clapton to present to the world. Peter Green followed Clapton in that band. He found a minor-key variation on the theme, called it Black Magic Woman and made it the second single of his next band, Fleetwood Mac. Bob knows all this, who could doubt it? Hears all those versions, and the ones Otis Rush was recalling when he stood up that day.

And when it comes to the words, there’s the same depth of understanding, the same sense of being just a link in the chain of tradition. In Cold Irons Bound indeed.

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

How come there's a "cover" for this?

http://dylanstubs.com/pictures/2009_1/single_09.html

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 12:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

SIXTY QUID???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-Beyond- ... 240%3A1318

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 12:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol: What an enterprising little toerag!

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 13:57 GMT 

And probably it is a promotional = free demo for press...

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 14:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nappy wrote:
Like Love Sick & Thunder on the Mountain, I think this is a cracker of an opener.

I take offense to that racist remark.

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 15:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Gypsygal wrote:
And probably it is a promotional = free demo for press...
I think he made it at home on his computer. The gold disc gives it it away. SCAMMER city.

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 20:23 GMT 

just wonder why Bob does not sing the original text from what he calls "Beyond here lies nothin": Got a black magic woman...

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 21:06 GMT 

Baker's son wrote:
just wonder why Bob does not sing the original text from what he calls "Beyond here lies nothin": Got a black magic woman...

You might have a black magic woman but your clean out of ears!

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 21:16 GMT 

I'd like to reiterate that Bobby's vocals sound like ass in this song. It looks like he cut the album without letting his voice recover somewhat from the last NETscapade. Based on this song, Modern Times has infinitely better singing.

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 21:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

THERE IS NO NEW ALBUM, YOU FOOLS!

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 22:03 GMT 

What you cannot find in this song, you will never find in yourselves.

PostPosted: Thu April 2nd, 2009, 22:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Baker's son wrote:

That's so page one of this thread... :roll:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 01:04 GMT 

huck wrote:
Baker's son wrote:

You might have a black magic woman but your clean out of ears!

Well you are not a musician, Huck, and I don't know how clean your ears are... but Fleetwood Mac played long long time ago Black Magic Woman quite like Bob plays his new song... (I don't speak about Santana, obviously...). The studio version from Fleetwood Mac is not available on Youtube, but a live version that comes close... help yourself and try it... if you are not deaf you might find some great similarities.... -- I don't know the album name from F.M. right now, but Scorcese's blues compilation disc 4 has it on it... (now don't try to prove my eyes, too, I know Scorcese does film...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-ELydnDgKY

found another version that comes very close....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivARjng56-s

Last edited by Baker's son on Sat April 4th, 2009, 01:26 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 01:18 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
Got a black magic woman.... :)

Yeah, just oversaw it, but as you mentioned ... right, same impression to me... three legs hear better than two ears :lol:

Well anyway, that brand new Dylan song is a good cover of a Peter Green cover of an old Carlos Santana tune... :lol: :lol: :lol:

That does make that recording bad, it is just absolutely not new to my ears... (which are clean) :?

PostPosted: Sat April 4th, 2009, 03:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

I´d just like to reittarate that this song is killer. Fantastic vocals, fantastic music. Fantastic. Much better than most of the tracks on MT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next