Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun September 21st, 2014, 14:06 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

When and why did you become a Dylan fan?
1960s 11%  11%  [ 20 ]
1970s 18%  18%  [ 32 ]
1980s 11%  11%  [ 20 ]
1990s 18%  18%  [ 31 ]
2000s 41%  41%  [ 73 ]
Total votes : 176
PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 03:31 GMT 

Around 2006 or 2007, when I received his greatest hits cd as a present from someone who randomly picked a cheap album from the sales bin at some store. I didn't even know who Bob Dylan was, but since it was a present, I was obligated to hear the album. I liked what I heard, but what really started my craze was when I crashed my car and happened to have Bob Dylan in the cd player. I was covered in blood and my car was destroyed, but the cd never stopped playing. It was a nice distraction during a moment of chaos and panic. I think after that I listened to him more often, and explored his musical history and all that fun stuff.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 03:53 GMT 

October 2009, after picking up a copy of the Last Waltz.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 04:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: where there ain't no police; ain't no need to escape from what is, only spirits at ease
glad to see many 2000s too!
2000 for me. Someone whose taste I admire was always listening to two things: Thelonious Monk and Blonde on Blonde. I already knew a few Dylan songs, but wanted to sing with this guy (he liked to sing with me, silly show tunes mainly). Bought The Essential Bob Dylan when it came out, had my head re-opened and never looked back.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 06:12 GMT 

I saw Hard Rain on TV. Must have been 1978, I guess, because that was he first came to tour Europe. He played Rotterdam, Berlin and Paris then.
So many years later Hard Rain is still my favorite live album.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 06:18 GMT 

Three legged man wrote:
1975. The Elton John album "Captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy" came with two booklets -one with lyrics and the other was a scrap book with a cartoon in the back. The cartoon depicted an early Elton performance, and one of the cells (if I remember correctly, it's been 30 years since I last saw it) has Bob Dylan meeting Elton after a song. I showed my Dad and he told me Bob Dylan was a famous musician so I decided to check him out. That was the end of my Elton phase and the beginning of my Dylan phase. Thank you Elton!

Seeing your avatar, I think your still in your Elton phase.
And why not?

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 10:18 GMT 

I firsr became a fan in the 1960s. I was not really into pop music preferring singers like Hank Williams and Bob's protest songs hit a nerve then when there was so much unfairness in society. I lost my way after that - moving to other music that I will not embarrass myself by owning up to. Bob was coming to my home town in 2007 so I thought why not go and see him? I was hooked after the concert and went on a mission buying cds and books about him. What I like about him is that he is still trying to do something fresh and not churning out the same concert every year like some big names do. On a personal level I admire him for keeping his private life to himself. I wish he was coming to my home town this year but he isn't so I will just save my money and go to more shows when he next hits the UK.
Can I just say how amazed I am at how many young people like him - good on you all.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 12:49 GMT 

ShoreGirl wrote:
Wow! I'm really surprised to see so many like me - 2000's!

I've posted this on ER before but happy to tell it again:
Bob Dylan was NOWHERE on my radar screen. I last saw him on TV do the David Letterman 10th anniversary show in NYC in 1990-something, and he mumbled so badly I was sure he was a has-been druggie. Paid absolutely no attention before or since then. Had no idea he went country or Christian. I assumed he just droned along in perpetual mumbles, and I spent my time loving Bruce Springsteen (since I live in New Jersey) :roll:

Then one day in 2006, I heard Nettie Moore on internet radio from my computer at work. It stopped me dead in my tracks. "WTF was that?," I thought. So different from all the other stuff out there. So mysterious and mystical. A heartbeat all the way through the song! And a voice like fine wine!

Then I learned it was Bob and that he had a new album out - Modern Times. I bought the album immediately - It completely blew me away. I finally learned what Bob has been up to since 1970, so I've been catching up! I bought a "greatest hits" collection to tide me over, and when TTS came out, it was a complete revelation to me. "Born In Time"????? Mississippi???? Tell Ol' Bill??? Why did I never hear those songs before?????? :o :o :x
Then I discovered DylanRadio.com and all hell broke loose! I was forever hooked. And I feel so lucky to be among those who have seen the light. I am reborn!!!!! :D :D Hallelujah!!!
Thank you Bob!

Awesome post.. like before I told my story of "finding" bob in 2006. But I had "time out of mind" back in the day. And I knew of the classics. I guess I got "hooked forever" after I learned how to burn cds and started listening to all his songs. Like bruce I will listen to bob the rest of my life.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 13:09 GMT 

I think I started listening Bob Dylan in 2005 or so. I was sleeping and the radio was on. Then they played Knocking on HEaven's Door and the music entered my dreams, I was half awake half asleep and I loved it.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 13:23 GMT 

I had a Dylan freak boyfriend who turned me on to Planet Waves when it came out and my interest started there.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 14:09 GMT 

Way, way back ... Bob's first album had just become available in Northern Ireland ... I borrowed if from a friend, played it at home, went out the next day and bought my own copy which I still have ... there was no stopping after that and I'm still buying him.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 15:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was impressed he'd written so many PP&M songs but didn't know his voice only knew it was "bad." I saw VH1's footage of "Like A Rolling Stone," loved it and started listening to Blood. I don't know if that was before or after getting Unplugged, alas it was the only one in the local CD store that had LARS. I knew then he was a singular performer.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 16:08 GMT 
1965. First time I heard "LARS" on the radio

I didn't know I'd been waiting for something until then. And when I heard it, I knew it was THAT.

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 16:17 GMT 

I became a Dylan fan in 1995, after finding three of his early albums in a truck stop in Ogallala, Nebraska. There weren't many long-haired truckers left on the Big Road in the nineties, and almost none with bushy beards, like I wore. I was hungry for the past, and looking for anything from the Sixties. I found Bob...and my life was changed for the better. I didn't feel so alone anymore. I began to bond with Bob in my mind. It's been a great ride since then, and someday I'll tell you more about. :D

PostPosted: Sun April 11th, 2010, 23:39 GMT 

Never heard of Dylan until freshman year of college (2000s),
when I was searching for new music and downloaded some of his albums.
And whoever says downloads don't help music sales is nuts:)

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 01:17 GMT 

Late 90's when I heard "Like a Rolling Stone" in the car on my way to dance class. I've never looked back, and as I get older my love for Bob just keeps growing. Hearing that song (and countless others) changed my life.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 04:42 GMT 

My older brother played Greatest Hits Vol II till my ears bled.

At first I hated it, then started to love it. Been hooked ever since.

Must have been late '70s.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 05:21 GMT 

7SadForests wrote:
Around 2006 or 2007, when I received his greatest hits cd as a present from someone who randomly picked a cheap album from the sales bin at some store. I didn't even know who Bob Dylan was, but since it was a present, I was obligated to hear the album. I liked what I heard, but what really started my craze was when I crashed my car and happened to have Bob Dylan in the cd player. I was covered in blood and my car was destroyed, but the cd never stopped playing. It was a nice distraction during a moment of chaos and panic. I think after that I listened to him more often, and explored his musical history and all that fun stuff.

OK - You win. :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 07:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

The day I first heard "Love Minus Zero"

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 07:59 GMT 

Early '80s, age 14 or 15. I was interested in all things '60s and so of course came across Bob. First song I heard was Blowin' In The Wind, sung and accompanied on guitar by a girl I was madly in love with at the time. Went and bought Freewheelin' and then went through his '60s catalogue. Though I understood only half of the lyrics at the time (at best), I got the rebellious spirit and the great humour and Bob at once became one of those few voices (musicians as well as writers) I've come across in my life that make me feel like they are talking to me and I share something with them.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 08:36 GMT 

It was probably 1967. My brother-in-law played me, a 13-year old kid, Bringing it All Back Home like he was sharing the secrets of the universe with me. He might have been. The next year I bought my first Dylan album, the 3rd I had ever bought - John Wesley Harding.

I'm fascinated by this poll. Half of the respondents discovered Dylan for the first time in the last decade. That's great.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 09:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yeah, really interesting that the vast majority are post-millenials. I would've thought the opposite... I was sure this place was 99% geezers :lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 11:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

I fit into the geezer category; 1972, aged 14.. seeing the brooding blue of the cover of More Greatest Hits in Wessex Records in The Corridor in Bath and knowing I had to have it. From the first chord of Watching the River Flow.. that was it!

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 13:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Warren Peace wrote:
Yeah, really interesting that the vast majority are post-millenials. I would've thought the opposite... I was sure this place was 99% geezers :lol:

Well when I did a thread about if I was the oldest poster here only Super Ma bel admitted to being older than I am . And I am only 60.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 13:39 GMT 

Hi, I have often wanted to tell this story, but most non-Dylan fans are not interested !

I was driving home from work one late afternoon 1997, must have been Winter or Autumn, 'cos it was dark. Robert Elms a DJ on Radio London, who I listened to alot, said here is a song from the new Bob Dylan album Time out of Mind, and he played Not Dark Yet.

I was completly blown away by this track, particularly as I was suffering from being a bit down at that time, relationship problems etc, and I went out the next day and bought the album, which of course I loved!

At this time I was only aware of Dylan by his greatest hits stuff, the things that are played on the radio Like a Rolling Stone, Knocking on Heavens Door, Lay Lady Lay etc

Around that time Uncut Magazine had a Dylan Special Issue out with a Bio and albums you must have etc, I started with Blood on the Tracks, and went the through the list of other albums (about 10 in all I think).

Normally when a particular artist has sparked my curiousity, after a few albums and the odd book, my interest has been satisfied, but with Dylan I am still as fascinated today as I was that day I heard Not Dark Yet.

Now in 2010, I have every studio and Live release, every compilation, 100's of Bootlegs, seen him live many many times, dozens of books, posters etc etc etc ..............and still my curiosity is there.

Dylan's music has helped me thru good times and bad, and continues to be the most amazing education in modern music history (Blues, Folk, Rock, Bluegrass etc), literature etc . The number of other artists I have heard or collected since getting into Dylan is literally endless and of course I continue to learn more.

My interest in Dylan has opened up such a huge window, I am forever grateful for getting into him when I did.

PostPosted: Mon April 12th, 2010, 13:44 GMT 

ShoreGirl wrote:
7SadForests wrote:

OK - You win. :shock: :shock:

:lol: It's dramatic, but it's an amusing story (well, it amuses me, at least).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next