Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu July 24th, 2014, 12:59 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: youtube embedding
PostPosted: Wed April 29th, 2009, 00:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
hello mods..

any possibility you'd consider switching on the youtube embedding feature of phpBB?

Post subject: Re: youtube embedding
PostPosted: Mon July 6th, 2009, 17:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Location: In a Conker Tree. Miles behind. Who to Baba. Skate boarding is not a crime..
onetwomany wrote:
hello mods..

any possibility you'd consider switching on the youtube embedding feature of phpBB?

it's a real nifty feature..

PostPosted: Thu July 9th, 2009, 19:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

http://gawker.com/5310339/embedding-a-y ... scap-bills

Fresh off a court victory against Google's YouTube, ASCAP tells us it is setting its sights on users of the video-sharing site. Welcome to the exciting world of copyright licensing, blogger; you may already owe gobs of money!

ASCAP licenses the performance rights for music, collecting royalties for its songwriter members when their songs are played in certain contexts.

Those contexts now include a YouTube video embedded on your blog or website, assuming your site is not "purely" non-commercial and is deemed large enough by ASCAP. The group just sent a collection letter to internet entrepreneur Jason Calacanis (pictured) for YouTube videos embedded on his Mahalo reference site. Based on what the group told Valleywag, other startups should be worried:

ASCAP does not offer licenses to – or require licenses from – those who simply make their personal blogs available on purely noncommercial Web sites. Mahalo.com is a larger venture than simply a personal blog, and therefore ASCAP is engaged in discussions with Mr. Calacanis concerning the use of ASCAP members' music on the site.

ASCAP sent collection letters to other website owners in the spring; YouTube told recipients to refer the group back to YouTube. But then a judge ruled Google owed ASCAP $1.6 million while a court fight between the two sides over licensing drags on. At some point, website owners are going to start wondering how much longer Google will offer to handle all the legal complaints over YouTube embeds — and just how many songs they've embedded over the years and now owe royalties on.

PostPosted: Sun July 19th, 2009, 19:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

i doubt that is the reason..

more likely it costs more for er because it requires more bandwidth..

PostPosted: Tue June 7th, 2011, 19:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Harry Truman wrote:
http://gawker.com/5310339/embedding-a-youtube-video-may-cost-you-a-bundle-in-ascap-bills

Fresh off a court victory against Google's YouTube, ASCAP tells us it is setting its sights on users of the video-sharing site. Welcome to the exciting world of copyright licensing, blogger; you may already owe gobs of money!

ASCAP licenses the performance rights for music, collecting royalties for its songwriter members when their songs are played in certain contexts.

Those contexts now include a YouTube video embedded on your blog or website, assuming your site is not "purely" non-commercial and is deemed large enough by ASCAP. The group just sent a collection letter to internet entrepreneur Jason Calacanis (pictured) for YouTube videos embedded on his Mahalo reference site. Based on what the group told Valleywag, other startups should be worried:

ASCAP does not offer licenses to – or require licenses from – those who simply make their personal blogs available on purely noncommercial Web sites. Mahalo.com is a larger venture than simply a personal blog, and therefore ASCAP is engaged in discussions with Mr. Calacanis concerning the use of ASCAP members' music on the site.

ASCAP sent collection letters to other website owners in the spring; YouTube told recipients to refer the group back to YouTube. But then a judge ruled Google owed ASCAP $1.6 million while a court fight between the two sides over licensing drags on. At some point, website owners are going to start wondering how much longer Google will offer to handle all the legal complaints over YouTube embeds — and just how many songs they've embedded over the years and now owe royalties on.

How does facebook and every other non-commercial internet forum and blog get around that? Did ER start selling stuff? Where are the ads?

I suspect it costs more for the bandwidth, but I don't know if it's a fact..it doesn't really make sense to me..

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 16:05 GMT 
Senior Moderator

That would be a question for MadCow. I'm sure she'll eventually see this - she maintains the programming of ER.

PostPosted: Mon June 13th, 2011, 17:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

It would be great to have if it's doable.

PostPosted: Wed June 15th, 2011, 04:17 GMT 

smoke wrote:
It would be great to have if it's doable.

Agreed--I have such an opposition to clicking random youtube links, as I'm sure most people do. Plus I just don't really like leaving a page when I'm reading a conversation--I get distracted and the rest. But anyhow, yes, it would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon July 11th, 2011, 07:13 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
..it's much better to be able to send someone straight to the target youtoobie.
- without all the distraction they can get back to the discussion that should be. 8)

PostPosted: Wed August 3rd, 2011, 14:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

BUMP.

No reason why the ER owners should do anything, though it would be nice and real cool and all that, but as the request/enquiry has been up here for >2 years, I see no harm in pushing it back to the top again. We live in hope.

EDIT: other forums I sometimes use, which have youtube embedding, do not pay extra to their providers for the functionality - it's provided as part of the board software. (Perhaps phpBB don't have this functionality? :? )

EDIT: maybe one of the admin/mod team could bring this to MadCow's attention? So she can say, definitively, Yes, No, or You're avin a larf entcha?