Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 25th, 2014, 12:39 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 00:56 GMT 

CHECK THIS OUT! WOW! It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I watch it. I didn't look at this video I tried to get at the Ryman until last night. I found it messing around with my cell phone. I just didn't think I had anything becuase I was trying so hard to hide it I didn't know if I had even started the recording.

It is just after Bob does All Along The Watchtower. When the video starts out you can hear my son & I talking about when to bring out his harmonica. The screen starts out black & stays black. You can hear the anxiety building in our voices! Then at 20 seconds into the video, a beautiful crisp clear shot of Bob & the band appears. WOW! Were we close or what! As if the perfect still shot I took wasn't enough now, I have this gem too!

For those of you waiting for this since last night sorry, I was so busy today & It took me quite awhile to figure it out! It should stay on youtube because it isn't during a song.

By the way Dylan (my son) did very well this morning when he was interviewed by Bill Cody on 650AM WSM radio Nashville. He had the best first day of school ever. He told all of his friends & teachers his story!

http://youtu.be/okMT1Z2JZDc

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 01:06 GMT 

CHECK THIS OUT! WOW! It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when I watch it. I didn't look at this video I tried to get at the Ryman until last night. I found it messing around with my cell phone. I just didn't think I had anything becuase I was trying so hard to hide it I didn't know if I had even started the recording.

It is just after Bob does All Along The Watchtower. When the video starts out you can hear my son & I talking about when to bring out his harmonica. The screen starts out black & stays black. You can hear the anxiety building in our voices! Then at 20 seconds into the video, a beautiful crisp clear shot of Bob & the band appears. WOW! Were we close or what! As if the perfect still shot I took wasn't enough now, I have this gem too!

For those of you waiting for this since last night sorry, I was so busy today & It took me quite awhile to figure it out! It should stay on youtube because it isn't during a song.

By the way Dylan (my son) did very well this morning when he was interviewed by Bill Cody on 650AM WSM radio Nashville. He had the best first day of school ever. He told all of his friends & teachers his story!

http://youtu.be/okMT1Z2JZDc

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 01:11 GMT 

Bob looks good!! :D

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 01:13 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I love this story! I'm so glad your son will have this memory for the rest of his long life.

What a great way to end your son's first Bob Dylan show! Bravo to Bob and to young Dylan, too. :)

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 01:55 GMT 

It appears that Tony was looking your way just before walking off. I think he may have said something to Bob about your party. Based on my experience at shows Bob doesn't normally look down at fans in the front when standing out there after the encore. Point being: I think it's entirely possible that Tony tipped your son off to Bob (while offstage between Watchtower & Blowin' in the Wind).

Esp. since Tony had already met your son before the show!!

Your screams probably helped get their attention too.

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 02:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sphere wrote:
It appears that Tony is looking your way just before walking off. I think he may have said something to Bob about your party. Based on my experience at shows Bob doesn't normally look down at fans in the front when standing out there after the encore. Point being: I think it's entirely possible that Tony tipped your son off to Bob (while offstage between Watchtower & Blowin' in the Wind).

that might be possible... also Bob does look at the audience sometimes... it doesn't look like it so much here so maybe tony did say something.... or maybe bob did notice it after.
In Phoenix Bob did look at the audience in the line up...pointed to a few people too...so you never know

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 02:23 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
Sphere wrote:
It appears that Tony is looking your way just before walking off. I think he may have said something to Bob about your party. Based on my experience at shows Bob doesn't normally look down at fans in the front when standing out there after the encore. Point being: I think it's entirely possible that Tony tipped your son off to Bob (while offstage between Watchtower & Blowin' in the Wind).

that might be possible... also Bob does look at the audience sometimes... it doesn't look like it so much here so maybe tony did say something.... or maybe bob did notice it after.
In Phoenix Bob did look at the audience in the line up...pointed to a few people too...so you never know

Yes it's just as likely that Bob saw it all himself. I couldn't tell in the video whether or not Bob looked down there. Tony did though...just before starting to walk.

I think Tony is a part of why Bob did it but it's just a theory.

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 02:28 GMT 

That is so Great to see!! What a precious memory for you, and it does seem your son had a date with destiny, doesn't it! It was extraordinary that the video on your phone picked the event up just as it did, because you can feel the excitement building with you, and then WOW!- there was the picture of all that it was- and all that that concert was, really!- I have only heard praise for all of it. DogTear, I think I was fairly close to you in the seating-but then again, weren't we all?! I didn't see your son lift the harmonica, because everyone was standing, but the tall man next to me did, and he was overjoyed as he was saying what he saw happening. Out of all souvenirs, a harmonica signed by Bob would be in the top tier of most wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri August 5th, 2011, 12:57 GMT 

Over the years Dylan has picked up things on stage and reacted with members of the crowd. I recall him taking off his leather jacket and tossing it to someone in the crowd (Earls Court '78). In addition to visiting hospitals he has also been known to donate money to schools for sporting equipment and the like.

PostPosted: Sat August 6th, 2011, 04:33 GMT 

absolutely brilliant.. i laughed with joy at your building excitment , planning and finally yelling in your youtube clip. thanks for posting this.. such a great story that will never be forgotten. how wonderful to have that clip and photos for yourselves.not ot mention the autographed harmoica of coures.. but i'd think youd need these things just to convince yourself it really happened.. totally brilliant!!!

PostPosted: Sat August 6th, 2011, 05:21 GMT 

Dylan asked me to go buy him a harmonica holder (because of Bob) earlier tonight & within an hour (NO JOKE!) he taught himself how to play the harmonica to a song he already knew how to play on the piano. The song is "Near My God To Thee". I knew he would learn eventually how to play the harmonica but, I never thought it would be so FAST & I didn't really know if he'd be able to play it while playing the piano. I can't believe it! I am SO very proud of him & I am so happy that this experience has encouraged him even more to pursue his intrest in music. It is all so hard to believe! It still doesn't seem real. I thought it would be cool to post the link on here so everyone could listen to it. Let him know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-iYtq6qV8A

PostPosted: Sat August 6th, 2011, 05:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

I left him a comment

PostPosted: Sat August 6th, 2011, 07:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

Congratulation, nice harp :D :D

PostPosted: Sun August 7th, 2011, 00:45 GMT 

dogtear72 wrote:
Dylan asked me to go buy him a harmonica holder (because of Bob) earlier tonight & within an hour (NO JOKE!) he taught himself how to play the harmonica to a song he already knew how to play on the piano. The song is "Near My God To Thee". I knew he would learn eventually how to play the harmonica but, I never thought it would be so FAST & I didn't really know if he'd be able to play it while playing the piano. I can't believe it! I am SO very proud of him & I am so happy that this experience has encouraged him even more to pursue his intrest in music. It is all so hard to believe! It still doesn't seem real. I thought it would be cool to post the link on here so everyone could listen to it. Let him know what you think!

first a charlie autogaph, then tony's. Front row seats. The gift of an autograph from bob, from stage no less. and then he asks you for a harmonica holder.. and within an hour! ....... your spoiling the kid!! :P You should have told him to make one for himself.. out of a coathanger! :lol:
but seriously. he is obviously very talented.youve every reason to be a proud mum...maybe one day bob will be asking him for an autograph.

PostPosted: Sun August 7th, 2011, 10:57 GMT 

dogtear72 wrote:

_________

what a kid !!! give him a big hug from me :-)

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 12:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

Isn't life just so beautiful?

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 18:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:
I happened to be about 5 feet behind this lucky child. It seemed pretty calculated by bob.(as was his 'reluctance' to play a 3rd encore). Coordinated to the reverbing tempo and youthful optimism that his BITW closer provided. A great symbolic gesture from an aging artist whose given up on the world but appreciative of the possibility of childhood dreams and optimism.

I like to think I spurred this gesture on by blowing a huge hit onto the band's stage during the last verse of LARS in this nonsmoking church that was the venue.

Everyone's gotta do their part 8)

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 21:18 GMT 

Troubadour64 wrote:
:lol:

I like to think I spurred this gesture on by blowing a huge hit onto the band's stage during the last verse of LARS in this nonsmoking church that was the venue.

Everyone's gotta do their part 8)

The stage was full of "things" happening^ It looked like someone threw something else up there a few songs before the end, and one of them on stage was looking at it like 'is that a problem piece of something?" :lol: What a great night! The person I went with commented that she felt all of the musicians seemed to be playing with such joy that night, and that she thought Bob's showmanship was outstanding. She was sitting in the balcony, but said the crowd was moving as one up there too.

PostPosted: Mon August 8th, 2011, 22:06 GMT 

Troubadour64 -- LOL!! My son & I smelled that smoke! We looked at each other & said "where's that comming from?". And, it was you!! TOO FUNNY!!

Belle Laugh -- It was a silver bracelet someone threw up there. I saw it laying just a foot or two from us, on the stage floor. It looked like one of those medical bracelets.

Was anyone else there (reading this)? What did you see, hear, do etc? While your memories are still fresh. But, please do not mention the MELTDOWN I had after the autograph. I think they had to mop the floor after we left. I was crying SO hard! I could't help it! My son was teared up too!

PostPosted: Wed August 10th, 2011, 06:11 GMT 

I was there, and actualy on the floor seats too, kinda well the 1st row actualy. But it was basicly the floor, I did see him take the harmonica and sign it though, pretty sweet.
But the best memory of that show was really before the show, I was waiting for about an hour for bob to come out of the bus with a crowd. A blacked out car came flyin behind everybody and all you could see was a really big head lookin though the window. I love bob but I didnt know his head was that huge. like huuuuuuuge

PostPosted: Wed August 10th, 2011, 13:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

that's great! - I think I saw Donny and Bob share a chuckle, and I presume they got a whiff too. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed August 10th, 2011, 13:41 GMT 

That's cool...Your son is sooo lucky... :)

PostPosted: Thu August 11th, 2011, 03:02 GMT 

dogtear72 wrote:
Troubadour64 -- LOL!! My son & I smelled that smoke! We looked at each other & said "where's that comming from?". And, it was you!! TOO FUNNY!!

Belle Laugh -- It was a silver bracelet someone threw up there. I saw it laying just a foot or two from us, on the stage floor. It looked like one of those medical bracelets.

Was anyone else there (reading this)? What did you see, hear, do etc? While your memories are still fresh. But, please do not mention the MELTDOWN I had after the autograph. I think they had to mop the floor after we left. I was crying SO hard! I could't help it! My son was teared up too!

Hi Dogtear,

Your last IM to me was deleted before I was able to see it (-I had not signed in for a day or so)- I don't want you to think I ignored it!( And I answered your other one-hope you saw the reply I sent)

Everyone I've talked to around is SO excited about the turn of events for you and your son. You were asking people to recall other things about the show, and I remembered something else I haven't seen anyone mention: When Leon Russell told the story of Bob taking him around and showing him the locations connected to some of his writing and how it encouraged his own writing... Leon had a catch in his voice at the end of the story- told with such affectionate respect- it seemed a build up to the small but mighty encouragement given to your son.

PostPosted: Fri August 12th, 2011, 02:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

dogtear72 wrote:
WE ARE STILL IN SHOCK HERE! I can't believe this has happened to MY son. I want to thank all of the well wisher & congrats postings. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer some of the posts. Very overwhelming, this just doesn't feel real. My son starts school tomorrow & couldn't fall asleep, neither can I obviously (because I am posting SO late). I never thought too deep into why Bob signed that harmonica for my son until someone posted it. What if it did have something to do with the Buddy Holly experience Bob had as a young man? Very strange to think about when it's YOUR son. I will say this to EVERYONE (including Bob), my son & I will NEVER EVER sell that harmonica. It is priceless to us. I would love to put it on LONG TERM loan to a museum where ALL Bob fans could enjoy it! My father was VERY ill for months before he passed away & it was very difficult to watch him suffer. My father's harmonica's are our connection to him. They were his prized possesions. I just know my father has been smiling down on us since Monday, I feel it. Thanks again to all kind words for my son & I.

Congratulations to Dylan May! I know we're all thrilled for you!

For the people who are arguing re: when Bob enters a venue - I know from my own experience that Bob is sometimes inside the venue long before the doors open. I think it depends on the type of venue and where it's located. I saw him in a theater in Manhattan an hour before the doors opened.

PostPosted: Sat August 13th, 2011, 08:53 GMT 

I want to THANK EVERYONE AGAIN on this site that has viewed this topic, posted positive comments and sent thoughtful private messages for my son and I. And, also for those of you who have viewed and posted positive and encouraging feedback for my son on his youtube (frenchhorn0) videos. It is very touching how supporitve everyone has been!

I was asked by Belle Laugh (in a private message) if I thought that The Ryman Auditorium show was the best Bob Dylan show I've ever seen. She said my reply to her was deleted before she could read it. So I thought I would answer her again under this topic, since she also pointed out I hadn't mentioned it here:

Out of the 14 prior Bob Dylan concerts I've been to (not including the 30th anniversary concert, that is in a category of its own), the Ryman show was THE BEST SHOW EVER, even if the autograph hadn't occured. First of all, for those of you who have never attended The Ryman for a show (this was my first time there): It is the former home of The Grand Ole Opry. It is the most beautiful and unique venue I've ever attended. The atmosphere is mezmorizing. The interior has stained glass windows, church pews for seating, tounge and groove pine floor, very nice lobby that includes a bronze sculpture (Minnie Pearl & Roy Acuff) and the front row view was unbelieveable (there is nothing inbetween you and the stage)! VERY cool place! This all set the stage for THE BEST SHOW EVER!

From the time Bob and the band took the stage that night: I've never seen Bob enjoy himself so much in concert! He was happy (smiled ALOT), full of energy (danced ALOT), playful (with the band), looked so healthy (looked younger than the last time I saw him, years ago). He was so observant and responsive to the audience and the band and he was so into putting on a great show and he SOOOO did! I could not stand still! Bob and the band were on FIRE the whole show! I soaked it all up, then Bob autographed my son's harmonica! MY OH MY, WHAT A NIGHT!

Well, 12 days later...........WE ARE STILL IN SHOCK HERE! :lol: I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAPPENED AND I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAPPENED TO MY SON! We are just like you, FAN'S!

Bob TRULY is a WONDERFUL MAN to have signed that harmonica for my son, onstage, in front of the whole crowd. Bob's VERY KIND gesture has inspired my son even more to become a musician in such a special way he WILL NEVER FORGET IT! Words really can't express how I feel about Bob now. I do wonder what he was thinking and why he did it? My son and I will FOREVER be greatful to Bob for being so kind! WE THANK YOU BOB! :wink: WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN!

As long as there continues to be posts on this topic, I will keep everyone updated on Dylan (my Dylan). I will also periodically post new music videos of Dylan on his youtube account (user id: frenchhorn0). Thanks again! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next