Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 18th, 2019, 23:55 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 17:59 GMT 

I've never tried this before, but going to for these next few shows. I've got a ticket for the last night at the Beacon, but until then seeing as I'm in nyc for 6 days (I could only seem to get a cheap flight if I stayed for 6 days!?), I'm planning on wandering around new york, staying at the Chelsea HoStel, and going to the beacon when Bob plays..I was just thinking maybe if touts or whatever have tickets after the show starts I could try and get one for not much. Who here has done this?

I may even make myself a 'I need a free ticket' sign :)

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good luck, and I hope you get to see more than the one show.

Hey I have been listening to Dylan since 1965,and I am yet to see him play live. Enjoy New York, one of the most brilliant cities in the world.

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:16 GMT 

Leonard wrote:

Hey I have been listening to Dylan since 1965,and I am yet to see him play live. Enjoy New York, one of the most brilliant cities in the world.

Thanks. By the way, I have often sat in the lower gwladys, weird seeing that as your location there!

I was thinking I might have enough to buy another ticket full price, but it's not looking good money wise, jam butties for the week I think haha

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

nightly moth wrote:
I've never tried this before, but going to for these next few shows.

...I was just thinking maybe if touts or whatever have tickets after the show starts I could try and get one for not much. Who here has done this?

I don't know about the "I Need A Miracle" approach or the "need a free ticket" sign.
If it makes you comfortable though, do it.

Very basic & simple approach is: know that you'll get in and don't care if you don't.

There's always a ticket lurking...sometimes lots of free ones...lots!
I've been at shows where I was trying to give away the free tickets that random people were asking me to get rid of because they wanted to go in.

Hang out out front, have fun meeting people and tell people to remember you and where you will be when they can't get rid of their spare ticket. Touts will usually eventually dump tix for $20 or less once the show starts...Of course, they will never let you know that, but just know that they will, rather than walk away with nothing.

There's ALWAYS a ticket. You won't be sorry.

Have fun with it, Moth!

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

Leonard wrote:

:shock:

Leonard you need to step up your game and see a show!!

Last edited by jimb727 on Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:28 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:28 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
nightly moth wrote:
I've never tried this before, but going to for these next few shows.

...I was just thinking maybe if touts or whatever have tickets after the show starts I could try and get one for not much. Who here has done this?

I don't know about the "I Need A Miracle" approach or the "need a free ticket" sign.
If it makes you comfortable though, do it.

Very basic & simple approach is: know that you'll get in and don't care if you don't.

There's always a ticket lurking...sometimes lots of free ones...lots!
I've been at shows where I was trying to give away the free tickets that random people were asking me to get rid of because they wanted to go in.

Hang out out front, have fun meeting people and tell people to remember you and where you will be when they can't get rid of their spare ticket. Touts will usually eventually dump tix for $20 or less once the show starts...Of course, they will never let you know that, but just know that they will, rather than walk away with nothing.

There's ALWAYS a ticket. You won't be sorry.

Have fun with it, Moth!

Thanks!

I'm relaxed about not getting in! I'll probably leave the sign, just have a wander about and see what happens.

Strangely a few years back. Maybe five or so, in Amsterdam I made a I need a ticket sign, I didn't mean for free, just I wanted to buy one full price, just not off a tout! A kind person gave me a free one! I was trying to force him the money but he insisted it was a friends who hadn't turned up and wanted me to have it for free. I really appreciated it, and years later gave someone a ticket for free to even things up haha :)

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 18:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's exactly how it works. May good karma be with you.

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 19:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

jimb727 wrote:
Leonard wrote:

:shock:

Leonard you need to step up your game and see a show!!

:)

It's number 1, In my 'Things to do' list, but I have been really busy.

PostPosted: Sat November 29th, 2014, 19:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

nightly moth wrote:
Leonard wrote:

Thanks. By the way, I have often sat in the lower gwladys, weird seeing that as your location there!

I was thinking I might have enough to buy another ticket full price, but it's not looking good money wise, jam butties for the week I think haha

Are you from Liverpool?, and up the Toffee's.....

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 01:23 GMT 

I think the touts, (we call them scalpers) are getting hammered....last night at intermission my wife moved from a not great seat to 2nd row center...seats empty around her....i didn,t see her so i say it didn't happen......my rules.

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 02:49 GMT 

seems like an awful lot of tix available on stubhub for nyc shows.
what a joke...people buying tickets for a profit...
i hate to promote it, but paperless tickets are the way to go for true fans.
looks like aprox 300 tickets availalble through scalper outlets per nyc show.
that's a lot for a show that holds less than 3000.
especially if they are prime seats.

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 02:51 GMT 

btw,
i will have an extra ticket for dec 2 show.
its an orchestra row L .
i will likely give it away on show night.
a freebie.

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 03:55 GMT 

Hey Mr. Happy, very kind of you. My brother would love a free or cheap ticket, prices are a little steep for him this tour. Let me know! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 12:04 GMT 

Hey Moth! Glad to see you made it to NYC :) I hope you can get tickets to all the shows!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon December 1st, 2014, 21:11 GMT 

nightly moth wrote:
I've never tried this before, but going to for these next few shows. I've got a ticket for the last night at the Beacon, but until then seeing as I'm in nyc for 6 days (I could only seem to get a cheap flight if I stayed for 6 days!?), I'm planning on wandering around new york, staying at the Chelsea HoStel, and going to the beacon when Bob plays..I was just thinking maybe if touts or whatever have tickets after the show starts I could try and get one for not much. Who here has done this?

So... How did it go/is it going? :D

PostPosted: Mon December 1st, 2014, 22:20 GMT 

Hoping to get a free or at least cheap ticket to the Beacon tomorrow or Wednesday...we'll see what happens!

PostPosted: Mon December 1st, 2014, 22:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

mrhappy wrote:
seems like an awful lot of tix available on stubhub for nyc shows.
what a joke...people buying tickets for a profit...
i hate to promote it, but paperless tickets are the way to go for true fans.
looks like aprox 300 tickets availalble through scalper outlets per nyc show.
that's a lot for a show that holds less than 3000.
especially if they are prime seats.

Some artist have started to work directly with scalpers to sell tickets to fans at a considerable markup! The broker doesn't have to wait in line and is guaranteed the ability to offer the best seats while the artist gets more than face value. It's a win-win for everyone except fans.

PostPosted: Mon December 1st, 2014, 22:33 GMT 

Harry Truman wrote:
Some artist have started to work directly with scalpers to sell tickets to fans at a considerable markup! The broker doesn't have to wait in line and is guaranteed the ability to offer the best seats while the artist gets more than face value. It's a win-win for everyone except fans.

Really? That's despicable, which artists? We need to know to avoid them.

PostPosted: Mon December 1st, 2014, 23:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Domino wrote:
Harry Truman wrote:

Really? That's despicable, which artists? We need to know to avoid them.

The con artists.

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 00:32 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The con artists.

Ha! Good one

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 01:44 GMT 

Just beware of scalpers selling printouts of electronic tickets. There could be a hundred copies circulating, and of course only the first copy scanned at the door will be allowed in.

Also, I wouldn't talk to any scalpers until nothing pans out with actual concertgoers. Or tell the scalpers you're looking to get in free or dirt cheap. Otherwise, they will not leave you alone. It's tiresome, and they can get a little rude (though they tend to be shooed away by venue security). Just be vigilant, read the tickets closely, etc...

Oh, and have a blast!

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 09:03 GMT 

Hey Moth! We met last year at the pub after the RAH shows, I remember you missed your train home... Have a wonderful time in New York, there must be so much to see and do without spending too much money? I hope you can meet up with some ER folks and get yourself in to the show tonight (how did you get on with Monday's?)

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 13:32 GMT 

Clapberry wrote:
nightly moth wrote:

So... How did it go/is it going? :D

Hello! Been having a bit of trouble getting online, phone keeps disconnecting from wifi. I'll see if this works!

Saturday night, I got there later than planned, about 7:30, then realised I didn't have any dollars on me, only pounds, debit card didn't work, so had to get subway to 44th street, ended up jogging round times square looking for exchange place, found it, dashed back to subway.. Thought I knew what I was doing, but I didn't and ended up the east side of central park, but I didn't realise! ask which way west, then got to park. That is one big park! Ended up running thtough it..eventually go back to beacon about 9:10..

By that point I was pretty flustered and couldn't think straight, could see it was the interval, asked the touts if had a ticket, one quite aggressive saying I should pay full price what am I doing asking for a ten dollar ticket. I said no way paying full price! walked away, one came running after me

In the end, I paid 30 dollars, I probably could have got for less, but just wanted to get my seat before the interval ended

The seat was awful, row d of middle balcony, but the furthest seat to the left, most of stage obstructed by some scaffolding type thing, sound sounded all off from tbe position, considered going looking for another seat, then thought no I'd just close my eyes and listen.. Turned out I enjoyed it quite a lot, considering things hadn't been ideal. (:

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 13:50 GMT 

Hello! Been having a bit of trouble getting online, phone keeps disconnecting from wifi. I'll see if this works!

Saturday night, I got there later than planned, about 7:30, then realised I didn't have any dollars on me, only pounds, debit card didn't work, so had to get subway to 44th street, ended up jogging round times square looking for exchange place, found it, dashed back to subway.. Thought I knew what I was doing, but I didn't and ended up the east side of central park, but I didn't realise! ask which way west, then got to park. That is one big park! Ended up running thtough it..eventually go back to beacon about 9:10..

By that point I was pretty flustered and couldn't think straight, could see it was the interval, asked the touts if had a ticket, one quite aggressive saying I should pay full price what am I doing asking for a ten dollar ticket. I said no way paying full price! walked away, one came running after me

In the end, I paid 30 dollars, I probably could have got for less, but just wanted to get my seat before the interval ended

The seat was awful, row d of middle balcony, but the furthest seat to the left, most of stage obstructed by some scaffolding type thing, sound sounded all off from tbe position, considered going looking for another seat, then thought no I'd just close my eyes and listen.. Turned out I enjoyed it q

PostPosted: Tue December 2nd, 2014, 14:03 GMT 

onemorecup wrote:
Hey Moth! We met last year at the pub after the RAH shows, I remember you missed your train home... Have a wonderful time in New York, there must be so much to see and do without spending too much money? I hope you can meet up with some ER folks and get yourself in to the show tonight (how did you get on with Monday's?)

Hello! Good to see you about (:

I have just written about ten lines about Saturday night and somehow lost it!

A bit annoying. I tried to copy it before sending and somehow pasted the previous message.

The highlight of the post was that I saw Tony leaving and hailing a cab.. he was as cool as hell, smiling to a few others on the left as he strode out, turning right, great timing a cab came around the corner, he looked surprised and shouted hey with arm up..and then turning back smiling, jumped in cab in one movement. I know it's a simple thing, but was cool to see.

If I hadn't been chatting to this bloke I reckon I might have got a picture of it.. If caught right I reckon would have made a great picture (: