Crash on the Levee ...

And
It was
Just what
I needed

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 00:36 GMT 

Maggie's Farm (Florence 2009)

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 02:53 GMT 

Subterranean Homesick Blues (George, WA '88 - Tracy Chapman opened)

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 09:25 GMT 

Friend Of The Devil (acoustic)
Munich, Germany, May 2, 1999.
A great start in my personal NET!

PostPosted: Sat November 10th, 2018, 10:55 GMT 

The first song I heard was Tampa Red's 'Love Her With A Feeling'. It came after an instrumental 'Hard Rains A Gonna Fall'. Earls Court London. June with 1978.

PostPosted: Sun November 11th, 2018, 18:03 GMT 

Wilkes-Barre, PA 1991.

Apparently was Maggie's Farm. I was a young un (15 years old) back then, and it's been a while, so that show doesn't really stick out much for me, except for a horrible quality recording I used to have of the show where during the harmonica intro to song 4 of the night, Tears of Rage, there was a call from the crowd of someone yelling "go white boy!" Which I always found an oddly amusing thing to yell for a Dylan harp solo.

PostPosted: Sun November 11th, 2018, 20:05 GMT 

^ Nice. ... Was Vanilla Ice a thing yet w/ Play That Funky music?? ... Actually, feel like '91 was to early in the decade. (Mid-typing correction: My wife just informed me that the time area is right-on for Vanilla Ice craze)
.... Oh geez, ...
Shameful admission - My neighborhood friend had a ticket to see Vanilla Ice in Boston with his mother, sister & friend of his sister. He wanted to go when purchased, but by the time of the show Vanilla's coolness had took a sudden, yet expected dive & he refused to go. I got invited last minute & off I went to see my first evah concert - Vanilla Ice & often overlooked, VIP ;) . .... My friend who didn't go grew up to become a Navy Seal & is fresh on da mind because of it being Nov 11th. ....

Back to more on topic. I posted in a previous page my first Dylan show was August of '97 & first song played Absolutely Sweet Marie. ... Had to look it up and have near zero remembrance of it.

I recently turned 19 at that time and the only Dylan I had known was his folk & 1960's material (even that was fresh. Discovered Dylan like late winter/early spring of '97 [I think?]). Went with a buddy and due to reading poor reviews of Bob's live shows at the time was only going to see him outta of respect for his past early works. ... Along with my low expectations beforehand only part I can remember about that first Bob show was mid through Tangled being overwhelmed by how awesome the performance was and finally speaking to my buddy (we were both open mouthed & speechless until then) and us talking about how unexpectedly great it was and me declaring I needed more of that sound in my life. ... LoL, I got tickets to Avalon Boston, Fleet Center w/ Van Morrison Fall/winter '97 & Springfield MA early '98 more or less directly afterwards.

... Thankfully Ice & VIP didn't have the same affect on me ;)

Love reading this thread. ... Tis a good one! :)

PostPosted: Sun November 11th, 2018, 21:52 GMT 

Lol, that's the whole thing about that show that made that little comment stick out. I don't recall Vanilla Ice hitting the scene yet (1991) so it was just so... random...of a thing to yell.

It's funny how certain things on certain bootlegs always strike a memory. There is the 2001 or 2002 bootleg where you can clearly hear someone ask someone else, in the vicinity of the taper, "Is that Robbie Robertson or a look-alike?". Red Bluff maybe?

Comically, the next year, 1992, Dylan came back to Wilkes-Barre and played a quite memorable and great (by most standings) show. But one of the best and widely circulating recordings that came out from it is marred by the taper's 11 year old kid talking to his dad and asking questions the entire time. I think it starts during song 3, Watchtower, and never lets up. He was my neighbor at the time, so I gave him a hard time for years over that!

PostPosted: Mon November 12th, 2018, 04:45 GMT 

^ That's funny. ....
I'm very familiar with the Red Bluff boot. LoL, I always think the guy is hitting on the lady. ... Trying to approach her for conversation at the very least. ... The awkwardness is what makes it standout to me. Hope he did better off tape ;) .

Regards to the VIP featuring Vanilla Ice - My wife was VERY sure with her boy band + school grade = Iceness math.

... I confidently just looked it up & she was right. ... To The Extreme was releasd in 1990. ... '91 was peek VIP & V-Ice (Did it last 2years?? ((Think so)) ). ... Dark times in musicville fo'show. ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_Ice - Van ;) 's

I also discovered from my post that I started listening to Dylan when I was 18/19 yo. ... I always say 16/17 yo area (until next time asked). Might've even posted as much hERe at some point. Guess I somehow got my age mixed in with the years ('96 / 97) somewhere along the line.. ... Memory is a silly thing. .. Don't trust it unless it's a lady talking about boy band's & what grade she was in.

PostPosted: Mon November 12th, 2018, 07:20 GMT 

My Back Pages (Blackbushe 1978) - not the most memorable opener, I had to refer to the set lists to confirm it!

PostPosted: Tue November 13th, 2018, 16:21 GMT 

LoL, tis a well known famous show at least!! ... Only chance I really had for one of those was Newport deuce or Bonnaroo.

.... Went to shows before & after 2nd Newport & 2 or 3 before Bonnaroo '04.

Now that I think about it - The 2 shows before & after Newport '02 were my most memorable openers. ... First in Worcester MA they did Hummingbird with shared vocals on one mic & in Augusta ME Bob, Charlie and Larry each had their own.

Was soon obsessed with that song after seeing. ... Feel of the original version reminds me of that movie, Raising Arizona.

https://youtu.be/3cBR_UkV8OQ - Hummingbird, Johnnie and Jack styles

...... (Shoulda used it during Huggies chase scene ;) ((IMO)) )

PostPosted: Wed November 14th, 2018, 00:10 GMT 

All Along The Watchtower