Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 17th, 2018, 11:15 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 21:11 GMT 

I'm simply amazed by Spotify. I listen to a fairly eclectic range of music, and I simply love that I can compare different versions of a classical piece recorded by a huge range of artists. I can try music I'd never ever buy. For a fiver a month, just great.

Shame no bootlegs. And shame a few bands aren't there.

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 21:45 GMT 

RichardW wrote:
I'm simply amazed by Spotify. I listen to a fairly eclectic range of music, and I simply love that I can compare different versions of a classical piece recorded by a huge range of artists. I can try music I'd never ever buy. For a fiver a month, just great.

Shame no bootlegs. And shame a few bands aren't there.

It’s absolutely great for classical isn’t it? My classical music collection was more or less CD ripped entirely from my local music library until the council closed it, so I just took what I could get. I spent years listening to a comparably crap performance of Beethoven’s 7th Symphony without even realising it as I didn’t have anything to compare it to.

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 21:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Agree with you both. Spotify is great for exploring different genres with relatively no cost. Large volumes of classical and jazz music at the click of a finger. I've been using it for years and I still have no major complaints!

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 21:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

Once the CD format is dead, then streaming will become your only option and the prices will go up. Corporate entities have the patience and foresight to subsidize this transition for a bigger and longer term payout.

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 22:34 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Once the CD format is dead, then streaming will become your only option and the prices will go up. Corporate entities have the patience and foresight to subsidize this transition for a bigger and longer term payout.

I don't think the CD format will entirely die out, no more than vinyl did. It is a quality, durable format, more long-lasting than cassette or eight-track, I suspect, and there will always be a market for an objectified music format. If there's a market, it will be supplied, although it's likely to become more expensive. This won't effect me much, as I buy no music now, other than what Dylan releases, apart from a little of old blues, country and a bit of classical.

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 22:58 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:

The prices probably will go up when the marketplace is less competitive, but the challenge for streaming is to retain better quality and convenience than piracy or legally streaming for free via YouTube and Vimeo etc. YouTube announced measures recently to cut down the number of listeners using it constantly as a streaming service, but I am sure they know they’re walking a fine line between discouraging said undesirable users and impacting on the average visitor. Right now I would say both the record companies and the consumers are in a good position. Artists themselves is more debatable and convoluted whether they benefit or lose out, people seem to forget the music business has always been cut throat though.

PostPosted: Fri June 15th, 2018, 23:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

You Yube has it's own subscription music service it's shortly to unveil.

I use TIDAL, 'cos it's lossless. Reasonably deep catalog. Been happy with it. Hear it's been having troubles, so if it goes under, I'll sign up for Quobuz when it launches in the U.S. this year. It's lossless too and supposedly a very deep catalog.

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2018, 00:00 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
You Yube has it's own subscription music service it's shortly to unveil.

I use TIDAL, 'cos it's lossless. Reasonably deep catalog. Been happy with it. Hear it's been having troubles, so if it goes under, I'll sign up for Quobuz when it launches in the U.S. this year. It's lossless too and supposedly a very deep catalog.

I used Tidal on and off for a few years but everytime I was emailed the student offer for Spotify at a quarter of the price I felt like a schmuck for paying that much so I eventually relented. I’m hoping it will all be lossless soon enough anyway, it’s not like the bandwidth is that big a deal now.

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2018, 02:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

My last vinyl was Traveling Wilburys 3, the day of release.
Have thousands of LPs & thousands of CDs & buku hardrives of
digital stuff as well as more Dylan bootlegs than I can listen to in
several lifetimes, but keep buying & downloading more regardless.

Quite pathetic when you really think about it!

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2018, 02:57 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Aw, I don’t think it’s pathetic, or if it is at least take some consolation in that I am more pathetic in admiring you for your collection and commitment! I am too disorganised and lazy, I have never been able to successfully collect anything - that’s why I get on well with streaming, no CDs or DVDs to lose, scratch or lend to a crap friend who never returns them.

I had a few carrier bags full of hundreds of assorted videogames (some highly collectible if I had kept the cases), CDs and DVDs I finally unceremoniously threw in a skip when I moved last year. Most were scratched to buggery and rendered useless, thousands of pounds worth of stuff. That’s pathetic to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2018, 07:41 GMT 

I agree that streaming is sometimes useful for discovering new stuff - 'taste and try'. But when I make a discovery, my next step is always to buy the CDs. Only then, do I feel that the music is in my collection, and not in some ephemeral pseudo-radio station. Yes, I have about 500 albums on an SD card in my phone, for shuffle play on long road trips - but that's just the modern version of the days when I ripped LPs to cassette for the car. I always knew that the cassettes would eventually go in the bin, while the LPs were the real deal. Now, the real deal is the CDs, and it will remain so until I die.

PostPosted: Sat June 16th, 2018, 12:59 GMT 

For me, the only reason to buy a CD is for songs that I can't get on Apple Music.
Ergo, my last 4 CD purchases:
Bootleg Series 10
Bootleg Series 11
Bootleg Series 12
Bootleg Series 13

PostPosted: Sun June 17th, 2018, 18:33 GMT 

I suspect that retail downloading will disappear before the CD does. The CD will survive in a niche market for people who like excellent sound and stuff to read--box set buying types.

PostPosted: Mon June 18th, 2018, 02:16 GMT 

For me, I only buy cds for "special" packages-- the last two I bought were TROUBLE IN MIND (deluxe box) and the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper box set from last year. The experience you get when thumbing through and holding packages like these (stuffed with archival material, memorabilia, and well thought-out books) can not be replicated with via streaming or digitally downloads.

But for run of the mill new releases? Especially those without special packagign? Digital download is good enough for me.

I used to be a vinyl snob. The warmth and complexity of a good vinyl recording can't be beat by digital. Unfortunately, over the last 5-10 years, labels are no longer going back to original analog master tapes for even new archival releases.

Case in point: the new 20-LP Stones 1971-2016 set (retail price: $400) isn't sourced from the original master tapes. Instead, the Stones handed the mastering engineer a hard-drive loaded with digital transfers they made from the master tapes years ago. And I'm like-- what's the point? If the point of buy vinyl is to immerse yourself in the warmth of analogue recordings, aren't they sabotaging that experience by basing the whole set off a digital transfer? Why not put the material out on SACDs instead?

PostPosted: Mon June 18th, 2018, 08:26 GMT 

One thing that puts me off buying new music on vinyl (aside from the price) is how they are often double albums with 2-3 songs on each side, like they aren't really structured for that format.

PostPosted: Tue June 19th, 2018, 06:31 GMT 

I was beginning to wonder what topic I was on - Bootleg Series 14 or ways to get your music. I know I'm probably a bit old school here but if I purchase something I like to have something physical to show for it. I've been caught out before with downloaded music - if your computer goes down and you haven't got it backed up you could loose the lot, then even if you have an external hard drive it might not be compatible with your replacement PC or the USB cable might be the old type. When my last computer went down I even had trouble with my I-player as Apple are getting very tight on transferring stuff to a new PC because of piracy. It's not all as easy as it sounds sometimes!
Anyway when is the live 1995 - 2003 BS14 being released, wooops - said too much, of course it's BOTT!

PostPosted: Mon July 9th, 2018, 10:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
Anyway when is the live 1995 - 2003 BS14 being released, wooops - said too much, of course it's BOTT!

Either is welcome, although it
seems like it’ll be the Blood Box.
...finally.

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 19:34 GMT 

https://www.zupimages.net/up/18/28/tqtw.png

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 19:45 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Not pathetic at all. Perfectly normal behaviour. ;)

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 21:35 GMT 

Yama wrote:

Lots of discussion over on Hoffmans. Wonder how SDE got the news, title not great, some suggesting that may not be the final title. Lets see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 21:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yama wrote:

Don’t know who Paul @ SuperDeluxeEdition is...
But here’s what is says:

Paul @ SuperDeluxeEdition @sedition - 4 min
The next @bobdylan 'Bootleg Series' will be volume 14. It is going to based around the Blood on the Tracks album and will be called "More Blood, More Tracks'. It will be released later this year. #BobDylan

Seems to be in-line with the rumor mill, so far.

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 21:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Great! Wonder when an announcement will come! Hopefully that's not the title though.

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 21:51 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Great! Wonder when an announcement will come! Hopefully that's not the title though.

Ahaha, that's a terrible title. Though it also sounds like the kind of kooky thing that Dylan himself would pitch with a laugh. I'll buy it, whatever the name!

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 23:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Does not state

More Blood, All the Tracks

PostPosted: Thu July 12th, 2018, 23:52 GMT 

I wish people would stop commenting on this thread. Every time it gets bumped, I click on it hoping to see a link to the new "Bootleg Series 14" blurb on Bob.com.

But every time, it's still rumour and wishes. I can't stand the disappointment..........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next