Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 17th, 2019, 01:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Is Bob on ER ?
PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 20:37 GMT 

briewski wrote:
Howdy folks !

Do we know if Bob is sometimes on ER ? It can seem incongruous, but why not ? Do we have information about this ?

It could be an great opportunity to talk about the relationship between Bob and internet (and his fanbase).

I somehow doubt that he has either the time or inclination for this. But come to think of it, I have never seen McG and Bob in a picture together. Do you think it's possible that.........never mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 21:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

McG wrote:
I care about all of you. Now x off.

The sweet words I say to the little llamas before i tuck them in at night.

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 21:56 GMT 

briewski wrote:
Howdy folks !

Do we know if Bob is sometimes on ER ? It can seem incongruous, but why not ? Do we have information about this ?

It could be an great opportunity to talk about the relationship between Bob and internet (and his fanbase).

Pepe Silviajust remember, you didn't hear it from me!

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 00:12 GMT 

I don't think Bob is as technically inept as some might think. If he can fly a plane he can work a smartphone.

That being said I do not believe for one moment that Bob has ever looked at anything on this site, ever. I don't believe he's ever participated in any forum about him.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 01:52 GMT 

Has Bob Dylan got a pilot's 'Night Rating'?

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 03:05 GMT 

clifford gage wrote:
Remember the DYLAN (2007) album? It had a pure red cover. An official chatroom was created to accompany the release of the record.

I'm convinced that Bob joined and contributed frequently on that board. Sadly the board only lasted a few months, but it was very interesting.

What?! :shock:

C'mon, give us a link!

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 03:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

I guess I'm the first one to trot out the story that he told a fan in on rec.music.dylan that he'd play Highlands live, and then did so within a week. So...I doubt he comes here often but I'm pretty sure he does once in a while and I'm guessing his people keep tabs on the place as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 03:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
I guess I'm the first one to trot out the story that he told a fan in on rec.music.dylan that he'd play Highlands live, and then did so within a week. So...I doubt he comes here often but I'm pretty sure he does once in a while and I'm guessing his people keep tabs on the place as well.

Here it is, from November 14, 1999: https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi ... j-dw7EpqoJ

PS Bob if you're reading this could you pretty please play Tin Angel on this next tour!

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 06:53 GMT 

I thought the same thing but it's actually George Clooney if you look carefully.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 09:49 GMT 

smoke wrote:

Not buying it. Coincidence, augmented by wishful thinking. (Not yours specifically, I mean in general.) People bring that up but if that's the only example in years and years of touring post internet, sorry but that's kind of flimsy.

You really think he comes here? Like you can really for really reals picture him scrolling through these threads to see what people say about him? Knowing what you know about him? I can't fathom it. Imo, in a million years he wouldn't come in here.

Not that it isn't a nice place and all. Packed with awesome fanboys and girls. I mean he wouldn't go to any forum about him.

I can picture him going into a Rolling Stones forum and saying silly mean things about Mick Jagger just for fun while on speaker phone with Keef... But himself? Nah.

Sony people come here probably. But wgaf about that.

(I think he has an instrument rating on his pilot's license. No such thing as a "night rating" is there? It's slang, eh?)

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 10:04 GMT 

Oh and it's not that I think he doesn't care about his fans. I'm sure he does as a big blob of us. Probably has some fond memories of meeting individual fans he's liked. But to come here and read? Hmm. No.

Believe me I'd like to think so too. Like pleeeeeease play something new by all that is frigging holy. I've posted things like that myself. To no avail.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 10:14 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:

(I think he has an instrument rating on his pilot's license. No such thing as a "night rating" is there? It's slang, eh?)

I have no idea about pilot's jargon, obviously. But an instrument rating sounds impressive. I once dreamt that I was on a jumbo jet and Dylan was flying it upside down over Toronto and then we all fell out of the plane. He didn't play any songs for us at all, but he was a very nice and polite pilot. Weird dream.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 10:24 GMT 

That is a weird dream. :P hahaha.

I think a sport pilot is rated to fly during the day in good weather sort of thing, where an instrument rated pilot can fly at night or in weather, basically blind, by instruments alone and without external cues like the horizon. That's how I recall it but honestly I know next to nothing about flying, other than I don't enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 11:09 GMT 

I'm with Sweetheart. I've seen too many people go Gaga over bob to look too far into one coincidence in twenty years.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 19:14 GMT 

David Kemper Fan wrote:
clifford gage wrote:
Remember the DYLAN (2007) album? It had a pure red cover. An official chatroom was created to accompany the release of the record.

I'm convinced that Bob joined and contributed frequently on that board. Sadly the board only lasted a few months, but it was very interesting.

What?! :shock:

C'mon, give us a link!

I think the chatroom was an official Sony creation entitled dylan07.com. I may be wrong; it's 12 years ago now and as I say, it did not have long life before it was pulled.

I just looked up dylan07.com and it's apparently returning soon. Look it up for yourself.

Cliff

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 22:37 GMT 

clifford gage wrote:
I think the chatroom was an official Sony creation entitled dylan07.com. I may be wrong; it's 12 years ago now and as I say, it did not have long life before it was pulled.

I just looked up dylan07.com and it's apparently returning soon. Look it up for yourself.

Cliff

There must be other people here who were around at that time who remember, eh? I mean that's a big deal in most fans minds, like that Highlands story, so it would be interesting to hear more about it. News to me.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 07:41 GMT 

I don't know if he actually visits here but I'm sure some of the rest of the band and crew visit various Dylan sites to see how gigs and new releases are being received by the fans and maybe report back to the man in charge. He surely must be interested in how a new set list goes down and any other feedback from fans? Or are we saying he just doesn't care and ploughs on regardless?

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 09:44 GMT 

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 13:40 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
I don't know if he actually visits here but I'm sure some of the rest of the band and crew visit various Dylan sites to see how gigs and new releases are being received by the fans and maybe report back to the man in charge. He surely must be interested in how a new set list goes down and any other feedback from fans? Or are we saying he just doesn't care and ploughs on regardless?

I'm thinking it's more like he's oblivious, because he doesn't know anything about smartphone s or that new fangled internet machines...
I work with the elderly so that's where I'm coming from ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 14:40 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I think there are a number of common misconceptions about fandom, online activity and Dylan fandom in particular. I don't really believe that any of them are particularly harmful, but it might be worthwhile considering them.

I don't think we should ever forget that the contributors to this site (myself included) are a tiny unrepresentative fragment of Dylan fandom.

There's the hilariously misguided idea held by the small minority of boors and bores who try to police opinion here (mainly by swearing at or insulting anyone who they disagree with) that Expecting Rain is like some Leninist central committee where fan "consensus" is hammered out and fan policy is adopted - any deviation from which is ruthlessly punished. No, we are a bunch of individuals who, for the most part, just enjoy talking about Dylan.

What is said here has little relevance outside our small group - and surely it's better that way. It's all about how we think and feel and what we understand and appreciate about Dylan. About how we express ourselves and interact with each other - and how we come to know ourselves better by doing so. There's no recording angel enshrining our glorious opinions for posterity. There's no Inquisition checking our utterances for heresy. Nobody earns extra "Bob Dylan Points" whatever they post here.

Dylan has got his own artistic fish to fry, he's not checking websites, he's is not in constant dialogue with his "fans", he's not playing some silly game with fan expectations - he'd be a lesser artist if he did.

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 14:50 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
I think there are a number of common misconceptions about fandom, online activity and Dylan fandom in particular. I don't really believe that any of them are particularly harmful, but it might be worthwhile considering them.

I don't think we should ever forget that the contributors to this site (myself included) are a tiny unrepresentative fragment of Dylan fandom.

There's the hilariously misguided idea held by the small minority of boors and bores who try to police opinion here (mainly by swearing at or insulting anyone who they disagree with) that Expecting Rain is like some Leninist central committee where fan "consensus" is hammered out and fan policy is adopted - any deviation from which is ruthlessly punished. No, we are a bunch of individuals who, for the most part, just enjoy talking about Dylan.

What is said here has little relevance outside our small group - and surely it's better that way. It's all about how we think and feel and what we understand and appreciate about Dylan. About how we express ourselves and interact with each other - and how we come to know ourselves better by doing so. There's no recording angel enshrining our glorious opinions for posterity. There's no Inquisition checking our utterances for heresy. Nobody earns extra "Bob Dylan Points" whatever they post here.

Dylan has got his own artistic fish to fry, he's not checking websites, he's is not in constant dialogue with his "fans", he's not playing some silly game with fan expectations - he'd be a lesser artist if he did.

Ducking heck mate.

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 16:42 GMT 

That needs a sound track. And an intermission.

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 17:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

This place ain't changed at all. :lol:

IDK, but "he doesn't check websites" seems like a pretty strong statement. I don't believe for a minute that he doesn't use the internet.

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 19:19 GMT 

I always thought Long Johnny was bob but I don know what happened to him

PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 19:53 GMT 

This thread is all of ER discussions distilled down to its very essence.