Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:02 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun January 24th, 2016, 18:56 GMT 
Senior Moderator

The Spanish band Hinds playing live on KPEX last year. During a rather stilted interview section (at 7 mins 50 secs in) Carlotta and Ana talk about their origins as a duo doing Bob Dylan covers, "weird versions" they say - good for them!

https://youtu.be/OBzLGM454LY

PostPosted: Tue February 2nd, 2016, 12:00 GMT 

I have been to Amsterdam last weekend and came across this TV ad for a dutch railway company. The spot features the original version of "I Want You":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfM7roPYpg

PostPosted: Wed February 3rd, 2016, 19:12 GMT 

Watched the first episode of "The People Vs. O.J. Simpson" last night on FX and it closed out with "I Shall Be Released" ... not performed by Dylan though.

PostPosted: Thu February 4th, 2016, 13:48 GMT 

^Sung by the extraordinary Nina Simone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCn8IC5RpE

PostPosted: Thu February 4th, 2016, 14:19 GMT 

They played "Dreamin' of You" very loudly in the men's locker room at my gym the other day. Didn't see that coming.

PostPosted: Fri February 5th, 2016, 01:24 GMT 

Dylan appears many, many, many times in the new biopic on Steve Jobs. In the dialogue more times than I can remember, appearing in two or three posters on walls, and three of his recordings on the soundtrack.

PostPosted: Fri February 5th, 2016, 16:41 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
The Spanish band Hinds playing live on KPEX last year. During a rather stilted interview section (at 7 mins 50 secs in) Carlotta and Ana talk about their origins as a duo doing Bob Dylan covers, "weird versions" they say - good for them!

https://youtu.be/OBzLGM454LY

Interesting! But the interviewer annoyed me by asking "[Did you play the songs] in the style of Bob Dylan or, like, rock versions?". :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri February 5th, 2016, 18:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Crayfish wrote:
I have been to Amsterdam last weekend and came across this TV ad for a dutch railway company. The spot features the original version of "I Want You":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfM7roPYpg

:D Cheers for the link Crayfish.

One of my favorite Bob song's of all time.

PostPosted: Fri February 5th, 2016, 18:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not to say he's totally unexpected on late night television shows,
but he 'made' his comeback this week on Colbert, from the mouths of Kermit and Stephen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjAb498Ax60

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2016, 20:08 GMT 
Senior Moderator

There were some strong winds here over the weekend. Just when I was passing by a particularly fearsome gust came round the corner and nearly knocked a busker over as he got to the chorus, "The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wi....."

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2016, 20:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

The resurrection of this thread reminded me that I forgot to mention after watching 'Hail Caeser' by the Cohen brothers, that there was a plug for the phrase 'expecting rain'.

PostPosted: Mon February 22nd, 2016, 22:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
:lol:

The resurrection of this thread reminded me that I forgot to mention after watching 'Hail Caeser' by the Cohen brothers, that there was a plug for the phrase 'expecting rain'.

Someone else mentioned that on ER, without giving away too many spoilers, what was the context?

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2016, 01:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

I can't even remember the context, it is so uncontextual

PostPosted: Tue February 23rd, 2016, 08:17 GMT 

The "Two Chainz" episode of Comedy Central's series "Broad City" had a shirtless guy playing the 1998 Grammy-disruptor Soy Bomb.

PostPosted: Tue March 8th, 2016, 18:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Dylan's new album and tour earned a spot on Colbert's One More Thing bit during last night's late night opening. Happy day :)

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 09:16 GMT 

Just watched an episode of the TV series "Falling skies". It plays in a kind of dystopian earth, where aliens took over the planet and suppress all remaining humans which are left on earth after the initial alien attack. Just out of nowhere a girl tells a rumor that she heard that Dylan might be "holed up in a mineshaft in Minnesota, rewriting his protest songs into war ballads". :lol:

PostPosted: Sat April 2nd, 2016, 18:21 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Yesterday on german TV there was a portrait of Hans-Dietrich Genscher, ex foreign minister of germany who passed away. I was half asleep as I suddenly heard: I'm walking, through streets that are dead.... Yes, they've chosen Love Sick as musical background at some point on this politician-bio. Kind of strange...

PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2016, 10:24 GMT 

I've been watching a trashy tv show, Shadowhunters. It's romantic YA urban fantasy with supernatural elements loosely based on Jewish lore. The plucky heroine's best friend-turned-vampire has an indie rock band that seems to specialize in noodly acoustic covers. At their gig, what do we hear? "Forever Young", of course. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 15:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Someone told me that Richard Lewis had mentioned Dylan in his delicious and nutritious twitter feed. I don't find that all that unexpected, but the song Lewis was hip to was Political World, which is a bit of a surprise.

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 15:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I was prepping myself to see the Chet Baker film this week by watching some interviews,
The director of the film is here with Ethan Hawke and he cited how he fell into jazz.
Same way he fell into any music he said: following Dylan's breadcrumbs.
Seems to be a huge fan

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8yUHL_mVNI

PostPosted: Tue April 12th, 2016, 10:11 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
In episode 5 season 3 of The Bridge the brilliant Danish/Swedish noir TV series a young couple are driving back into Copenhagen at night. Ballad of a Thin Man is playing very loudly and sounding very sinister. They swerve to avoid a dead deer in the middle of the road and end up in a ditch. A big black SUV drives up, the pregnant young woman is bundled out of the car and into the SUV by black clad figures. The leading figure in the abduction goes round to the driver's side and warns, "She was never in the car with you, remember that." He turns to go, then he turns back, "Great music," he says. Something is happening and you don't what it is, do you Mr Jones? echos over the bleak outskirts of Copenhagen - fantastic scene!

I was watching the series and was surprised too. Seems Bob Dylan likes The Bridge too :)
http://www.thelocal.se/20150924/how-did-bob-dylan-end-up-in-the-bridge

PostPosted: Tue April 12th, 2016, 17:54 GMT 

Watching the excellent "Billions" on Showtime.
Paul Giamatti's character US Attorney Chuck Rhoades whilst speaking to a fetishist friend, paraphrases "as the man says it might be the devil or it might be the lord but your'e gonna have to serve somebody"
The shows end credits played out to Gotta Serve Somebody. :)

PostPosted: Fri April 15th, 2016, 07:22 GMT 
Senior Moderator

In this, the seventh season of The Good Wife Alicia is in court defending a songwriter from a copyright claim by a label that has dumped him. The question is whether he was inspired to write the song in question while still under contract. Alicia (looking way cooler, more elegant and somehow ineffably sadder than ever this season) cites a couple of examples of inspiration - "Bob Dylan didn't start writing Tangled Up In Blue on the day he got married, though that's what inspired it" she says.

PostPosted: Sat April 30th, 2016, 21:45 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Yesterday early evening on the BBC Radio4 News programme PM there was a an item about what would replace the chimes of Big Ben when they are stopped while the tower is refurbished. They spoke to the architectural consultant for the Palace of Westminster, Mr Leon Trotsky, at least that's what I think he was called, I was reeling from hearing the sound of Bob's Ring Them Bells which played throughout the report.

PostPosted: Mon May 2nd, 2016, 11:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

This was playing in our car on Saturday morning the instant the car left the B10 and joined the B16 trunk road on our family day out at Legoland in Southern Germany:

"How old are you, my pretty little miss,
How old are you, my honey"
She answered to him with a lovin' smile
"I'll be sixteen come Sunday,
Be sixteen come Sunday."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next