Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 25th, 2019, 18:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 11:58 GMT 

Hi,

Here is my selection of perfomances, you can copy and paste on the adress bar

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/56ex5viu2wxt ... OhGna?dl=0

Does it works?

The dates are: day-month-year

Hope you enjoy it,

Cheers,

Ramón

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 12:48 GMT 

Scarletbegonias wrote:
Hi,

Here is my selection of perfomances, you can copy and paste on the adress bar

Does it works?

The dates are: day-month-year

Hope you enjoy it,

Cheers,

Ramón

Thank you! Fantastic post, I hadn't heard the live 95 versions before. After listening to all of them have to say Niagara Falls 03 is the strongest one for me.

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 17:27 GMT 

Niagara Falls 2003 is fantastic but Brixton Academy 1995 is the one I choose, wild and raw, both guitars (Bob & J.J.Jackson) are stunning and Bob also sings like a man possessed.

Ramón

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 19:07 GMT 

Thanks for the easy dropbox uploads. That's a lot of versions. Between Brixton and NF, I like the latter. But it's unclear who went running in the blackheart wind and looking for the cure. Also whatever was left at the river in the last verse-idk?

PostPosted: Mon January 8th, 2018, 20:06 GMT 

The Side Tracks Oh Mercy alt take is very nice - same vocal as the GH3 but in its original form without that over dubbed band. Apologies if the version has been mentioned already.

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 02:19 GMT 

I like all the versions, but I think the "unreleased" version on Tell Tale Signs would've been a good addition to Oh Mercy. I would assume the finished version would bring out Dylan's voice more (sounds a bit far away and such). But I think it's a great version. Funny, I think both outtakes of Mississippi would've worked on TOOM too.

The Unplugged version is pretty good, I'm partial to the studio takes though. Would love to hear it played now! I bet Dylan and his crew could make something great out of it.

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 07:33 GMT 

Dignity's never been photographed.

PostPosted: Wed January 10th, 2018, 19:05 GMT 

Dropbox streaming is CRAP you'll better download the FLAC files.

Ramón

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 06:05 GMT 

Very cool, love to hear about dignity ya know its so funny I had the essential bob dylan with this song on it then ended up losing it in 2015(?). Re-bought that same cd this year, and low and behold the songs not on there! Go figure, get your music stolen! Lol idk why they release a cd with the same title just different songs?? everything must be broken bahaha

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 06:58 GMT 

Oakshallis wrote:
Very cool, love to hear about dignity ya know its so funny I had the essential bob dylan with this song on it then ended up losing it in 2015(?). Re-bought that same cd this year, and low and behold the songs not on there! Go figure, get your music stolen! Lol idk why they release a cd with the same title just different songs?? everything must be broken bahaha
I thought it was on "Greatest Hits Vol. 3", not "The Essential"?

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 13:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

mjmooney wrote:
Oakshallis wrote:
I thought it was on "Greatest Hits Vol. 3", not "The Essential"?

Correct. Dignity was the only reason to buy GH3 at the time.

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 14:33 GMT 

Shiver me timbers, would never have taken pleasure in 'Silvio' , the only song I didn't know before, having not 'bought' GH3.

PostPosted: Tue January 23rd, 2018, 22:44 GMT 

4 pages about a song called 'Dignity', which concerns the search for dignity, and nobody refers to the walking cringefest leather keks and earring pisshead that is Dylan in the late 80s. You think a song like this comes out of nowhere?

PostPosted: Mon April 29th, 2019, 22:55 GMT 

I'm really happy DIGNITY has been revived!

In some ways this is the song that unlocked modern Bob for me....
I'd been a fan of the early stuff because my father had the early records...up to Street Legal.
My dad bought me Greatest Hits 3 for Christmas 1994....and the cover sticker pointed out that "Dignity" was a special unreleased song...so I paid extra attention to it....and I really loved it....it had a sort of philosophical flavor, but with poetic bursts that tickled me over and over again....

Then he played it on MTV Unplugged (does anyone know when that first aired?...I can't find it anywhere, but i know I watched it when it first aired.)
I first heard it live at Merriweather Post Pavillion in the summer of 2000...then twice in 2004 (Bender Arena, Washington, D.C...& Grantham, PA)

I'd love to see this one stick around!

PostPosted: Mon April 29th, 2019, 23:38 GMT 

Slmartin00 wrote:
There's something wrong with the tempo of this song. And the lyrics are a little melodramatic.

I agree, it reads (although there are some dodgy lyrics here and there) and feels like it should be one of his best
but for me it falls short, especially the studio versions. I think if it had been recorded during the TOOM sessions
or L&T sessions it would have been brought closer to its full potential.

PostPosted: Tue April 30th, 2019, 00:31 GMT 

In Chronicles, Dylan said if he had wrote a song like Dignity 20 years before, he would have rushed to the studio to record it, but he lost his enthusiasm for capturing a song/making records. When he did finally get to recording it, they tried it a bunch of different ways, and worked long and hard on it, but each time they compared it to the original piano demo (released on Tell Tale Signs) something was missing. He said they never got back to the feel of that original demo. It seems Dylan felt it was the strongest composition he had written at the time of the Oh Mercy sessions, but felt he had failed to realize the song in studio. Seems he blames himself for waiting so long, and Lanois for killing it in the studio. The 95 lives are really good though! Brixton and Brussels are real powerful that year

PostPosted: Tue April 30th, 2019, 00:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

“Sometimes I think I’m at rhe edge of the lake...”

PostPosted: Tue April 30th, 2019, 11:46 GMT 

The 2003-2004 versions of this are great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPxU5I58dvQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVfGb5wISlU

PostPosted: Tue April 30th, 2019, 12:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Baltimore wrote:
I'm really happy DIGNITY has been revived!

In some ways this is the song that unlocked modern Bob for me....
I'd been a fan of the early stuff because my father had the early records...up to Street Legal.
My dad bought me Greatest Hits 3 for Christmas 1994....and the cover sticker pointed out that "Dignity" was a special unreleased song...so I paid extra attention to it....and I really loved it....it had a sort of philosophical flavor, but with poetic bursts that tickled me over and over again....

Then he played it on MTV Unplugged (does anyone know when that first aired?...I can't find it anywhere, but i know I watched it when it first aired.)
I first heard it live at Merriweather Post Pavillion in the summer of 2000...then twice in 2004 (Bender Arena, Washington, D.C...& Grantham, PA)

I'd love to see this one stick around!

I have never heard a bad performance of Dignity but the MTV Unplugged and 2003-04 performances with Freddy Koella and Larry Campbell are my favorite. He played it both nights for the MTV gig. The officially released performance is fantastic. What I find interesting is the other performance is good but feels "flat" and less energetic when compared to the officially released performance even though they were performed on consecutive nights.

I am glad its been revived and hope it stays around a while. And I'm hoping to hear it soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2019, 08:15 GMT 

Here's 'Dignity' from Bilbao a few days back - courtesy of Markitospb's recording of said show which has just surfaced.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9kepp357 ... .flac/file

Apart from the lyric flubs, its a fine rendition, says me, with Bob in comparatively lucid and powerful form.

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2019, 17:53 GMT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY43h6dijE8&feature=youtu.be

April 29th

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2019, 20:52 GMT 

this song is the anthem of bob's comeback. He wrestles with it some years before riding it like a great wave in MTV UNPLUGGED.

it's wonderful to see it back in the set.

Thanks for the FLAC, McG. Bob sounds energized.

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2019, 23:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

trent_vinyl wrote:

Something is missing... the instrumentation sounds off... too much clangy guitar and piano chopping away. To me it doesn't feel like it flows naturally.

But I'm glad to see it return to the setlist and maybe after a few more times of listening I'll "get it".

PostPosted: Wed May 1st, 2019, 23:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Untrodden Path wrote:
trent_vinyl wrote:

Something is missing... the instrumentation sounds off... too much clangy guitar and piano chopping away. To me it doesn't feel like it flows naturally.

But I'm glad to see it return to the setlist and maybe after a few more times of listening I'll "get it".

I felt that way to UP! I didn’t want to be a wet towel but I really missed the polished Rumble version of Cry Awhile..

But then Secondo44 pulled off a lap recording of tonight’s Porto show.
Check it out at the bottom of page 1 in this link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97528&start=0

It sounds like the best 2019 version yet, out of the few since Bilbao.
Take a listen and let us know what you think.

The strange resemblance to Pay in Blood bugs me just slightly.
Its developing better & better though!

PostPosted: Thu May 2nd, 2019, 20:13 GMT 

Dylan playing "Dignity" in Bilbao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeJImmYj0Q

First performance since 2012.

I combined the clean audio track recorded by "Markitospb" with some footage shared by a generous concertgoer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next