Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 15th, 2019, 22:50 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 01:27 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 19237
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
He enjoys being on the road, looking for another joint and seeing it from a different point of view.

What can you say?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 02:29 GMT 

Joined: Wed July 16th, 2008, 11:56 GMT
Posts: 506
The prime reason for Dylan's success lies in his ability to communicate a particular message in an intense way, that is almost uniquely his alone. Each great singer has their own way of getting the job done. Asking why he performs constantly is like asking why the sun comes up. It just does. Technically there are better singers, better musicians, better performers, but few share the gravitas that Dylan possesses. As the cowboy singer said on the back of one of his early albums," He is so God damn real".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 03:15 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5920
Location: on a rail leading West
He's going after some Guinnesses, clearly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 03:48 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 14th, 2006, 18:43 GMT
Posts: 5747
to ride the tupelo honey wave


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 09:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 28th, 2009, 14:20 GMT
Posts: 164
Lots of comments about why he performs. That is i think not the question. It's about why he continuously tours. To me that stuff about fate and some myth comes after the fact, as some kind of justification why.
This is classic and we all do it. We do things and then gather the reasons afterwards, just like with opinions, we find the evidence to support our stand. But the motivation stemmed from something obscure and we wear the mantle of fate to make it not our choice. Again i think it is restlessness. I don't think he likes himself too much, but he won't find anything new on the road. Cohen went inwards and to Buddha and seems a happier man now. Dylan went to Jesus but that only worked for a short while if at all. He needs to be put in jail and let out once in a while. he's looking for chains. That or be properly hen pecked...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 11:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 25th, 2010, 19:06 GMT
Posts: 1865
He's told to


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 12:42 GMT 

Joined: Sun October 13th, 2013, 23:21 GMT
Posts: 213
Maybe he tours because he enjoys it. Some of you are overanalyzing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 13:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 6078
Location: New Hampshire
ballynally wrote:
Lots of comments about why he performs. That is i think not the question. It's about why he continuously tours. To me that stuff about fate and some myth comes after the fact, as some kind of justification why.
This is classic and we all do it. We do things and then gather the reasons afterwards, just like with opinions, we find the evidence to support our stand. But the motivation stemmed from something obscure and we wear the mantle of fate to make it not our choice. Again i think it is restlessness. I don't think he likes himself too much, but he won't find anything new on the road. Cohen went inwards and to Buddha and seems a happier man now. Dylan went to Jesus but that only worked for a short while if at all. He needs to be put in jail and let out once in a while. he's looking for chains. That or be properly hen pecked...


I have to say ballynally, you have offered up some amazing insight - into your own deranged brain -

"he won't find anything new on the road" - only the most successful songwriting career in the history of the world. Minor point of course.


"Cohen went inwards and to Buddha and seems a happier man now" Yes, all the suffering in the world is simply an illusion - nothing to get upset about!


And your historic classic - "He needs to be put in jail and let out once in a while."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 13:14 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2413
Location: Ireland
Cohen didn't "go into Buddha", by his own account. He has long suffered from depression and said that Buddhism helped him find a new way to think, but that he didn't need a new religion as he already had one (Judaism).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 13:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 6078
Location: New Hampshire
Mickvet wrote:
Cohen didn't "go into Buddha", by his own account. He has long suffered from depression and said that Buddhism helped him find a new way to think, but that he didn't need a new religion as he already had one (Judaism).


Yes, I happen to like eastern religions much more than Christianity. I take these different beliefs as a philosophical buffet - taking from each what I want. The only real question? Stand up or sit down?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 18:46 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 5th, 2011, 06:05 GMT
Posts: 6602
Location: One Too Many Mornings and 1000 Miles Behind
kybo8845 wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:
I'm sure there's a joy in performing for him and all that, but I'm sure a large part of his motivation is the money. As is the case with most touring musicians.

You're just trolling right? Twenty-seven years of consistent touring. Mainly for the money!?


How am I trolling? I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy his work, but I'm sure he wouldn't do it for free. If you think he'd do it with no money to be made you're kidding yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 21:03 GMT 

Joined: Sat March 30th, 2013, 23:52 GMT
Posts: 233
Location: somewhere in the usa
Can we retire the word "grueling"? How many dates was the grueling 1966 tour? Was it the tour or the behavior that took their toll?

Sure, it can be tiring traveling from town to town, albeit in comfort. But singing for 90 minutes or two hours four or five times a week isn't hammering rocks or working a mind killing job on an assembly line.

Not that big a deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 21:25 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue November 5th, 2013, 11:01 GMT
Posts: 634
Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
Tommy_ wrote:
Maybe he tours because he enjoys it. Some of you are overanalyzing.


I think this is it, really. The simple answer is sometimes the right one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 27th, 2015, 22:28 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 28th, 2007, 07:16 GMT
Posts: 25362
Location: any where a music tragic might be found
Hibbing91 wrote:
Tommy_ wrote:
Maybe he tours because he enjoys it. Some of you are overanalyzing.


I think this is it, really. The simple answer is sometimes the right one.

I agree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 00:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18th, 2011, 14:27 GMT
Posts: 184
Location: New York, New York
Some coworkers of mine could comfortably retire, but they still come to work everyday. I think they do it because it provides a sense of purpose and direction. People also like to be respected and praised for their work product. They also like to build legacies.

I think much of above applies to Bob. I think he's also wanted to play music for people his entire life, and he fundamentally enjoys performing.

It also gives some structure to his life. I know I'm a wandering soul if I have a week of vacation. What else could Bob do with himself? He writes, tours, and records albums. Thank god he didn't run for office or start doing charity in Africa instead.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 00:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18th, 2011, 14:27 GMT
Posts: 184
Location: New York, New York
Also, I think that "deal with the chief commander" is a bit of a put on and an obvious reference to Robert Johnson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 01:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 6078
Location: New Hampshire
He said once that the only place he really felt right was when he was on a stage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 03:11 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:46 GMT
Posts: 3559
Location: Meh
Frequent flyer points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 14:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 31st, 2011, 13:57 GMT
Posts: 1032
[quote="utley04"]Some coworkers of mine could comfortably retire, but they still come to work everyday. I think they do it because it provides a sense of purpose and direction. People also like to be respected and praised for their work product. They also like to build legacies.

I think much of above applies to Bob. I think he's also wanted to play music for people his entire life, and he fundamentally enjoys performing.

I think some people would tell you he's damaging his legacy by continuing to tour. I wouldn't say I entirely agree but I don't think he's helping it any either. One thing is for sure, no one can take away what he has done.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 16:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18th, 2011, 14:27 GMT
Posts: 184
Location: New York, New York
Tim Finnegan wrote:
I think some people would tell you he's damaging his legacy by continuing to tour. I wouldn't say I entirely agree but I don't think he's helping it any either. One thing is for sure, no one can take away what he has done.


I saw him at the Beacon at the end of the last tour. I'm 25, and have seen him ten or so times in the last five years. The Beacon was the best show I've seen. The acoustics, the defined and perfected "set," the SITN voice. I was thoroughly impressed, and I hope he tours for ten more years. I'll pay the price every time he comes through.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 16:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 6078
Location: New Hampshire
Tim Finnegan wrote:
utley04 wrote:

I think some people would tell you he's damaging his legacy by continuing to tour. I wouldn't say I entirely agree but I don't think he's helping it any either. One thing is for sure, no one can take away what he has done.



He's not helping his legacy by touring??? In other words, if it was up to you - we wouldn't be enjoying the other worldly presence of Bob Dylan today? No offense Tim, but I think the best cure for someone of your mindset is a firing squad!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 20:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 31st, 2011, 13:57 GMT
Posts: 1032
chrome horse wrote:


He's not helping his legacy by touring??? In other words, if it was up to you - we wouldn't be enjoying the other worldly presence of Bob Dylan today? No offense Tim, but I think the best cure for someone of your mindset is a firing squad!


So death is the penalty for giving your opinion on expecting rain these days? Shouldn't you be in a mental hospital somewhere?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 21:02 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon January 5th, 2009, 19:09 GMT
Posts: 638
Location: UK
A man (or woman) needs a reason to get up in the morning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 21:25 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed January 9th, 2008, 13:29 GMT
Posts: 10839
utley04 wrote:
Also, I think that "deal with the chief commander" is a bit of a put on and an obvious reference to Robert Johnson


Huh??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 22:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 18th, 2011, 14:27 GMT
Posts: 184
Location: New York, New York
jimb727 wrote:
utley04 wrote:
Also, I think that "deal with the chief commander" is a bit of a put on and an obvious reference to Robert Johnson


Huh??


According to legend, as a young man living on a plantation in rural Mississippi, Robert Johnson was branded with a burning desire to become a great blues musician. He was instructed to take his guitar to a crossroad near Dockery Plantation at midnight. There he was met by a large black man (actually the Devil) who took the guitar and tuned it. The Devil played a few songs and then returned the guitar to Johnson, giving him mastery of the instrument. This was in effect, a deal with the Devil mirroring the legend of Faust. In exchange for his soul, Robert Johnson was able to create the blues for which he became famous.

Dylan's comment on 60 Minutes was an appropriation of this legend.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group