Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 25th, 2019, 18:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon March 28th, 2016, 22:20 GMT 

ACOUSTIC GUITAR MAGAZINE (May 2016 issue)

AGM: When you look back on your 2013 tours in Bob Dylan's band, does it feel like a positive experience? A negative experience?

Duke Robillard: Both. It started off great and ended up not-so-great. I really enjoyed playing his material and trying to complement the song and the singing and the interpretation. Especially on the first tour. That was fantastic, nothing but enjoyment. Then we took a break and did a second tour, when he seemed to not know what he wanted. I wasn't doing anything different than on the tour he loved, so it's hard to say what was going on. He's not exactly one to tell you what he's looking for. You have to guess.

Watch this rough moment filmed during "Thunder on the Mountain." Dylan is clearly not pleased with Robillard's playing:

https://youtu.be/sL6q63j0m1E?list=PLulL ... 8ZOr&t=736

PostPosted: Mon March 28th, 2016, 22:48 GMT 

Judging by the video, I think he wants you to look at him for cues when you solo from time to time.

PostPosted: Mon March 28th, 2016, 23:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Duke continues to dig his grave on this one.
..."he seemed to not know what he wanted..."

That's too bad because, I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the Duke shows I witnessed, even if it was the EXACT SAME SET each night.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 00:19 GMT 

Hasn't it been mentioned here that the issue might have gone deeper than the playing? I recall something about Duke Robillard bringing friends around unannounced.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 00:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

I never understood the brouhaha about that clip...besides, if I recall it was near the start of the tour and Duke was hired back for the next one, so even if Dylan was angry and not just chilling for a minute and watching the band he clearly got over it.

Don't know about unannounced friends, I don't recall hearing that rumor, but it would be kind of funny if the whole thing was because Duke asked him to say hello to someone!

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 00:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Funny may not be quite the right word...

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 08:58 GMT 

smoke wrote:
I never understood the brouhaha about that clip...besides, if I recall it was near the start of the tour and Duke was hired back for the next one, so even if Dylan was angry and not just chilling for a minute and watching the band he clearly got over it.

Yeah, I never detected that Dylan was especially pissed off with Duke. Also, even if he is angry here, it happens within any band.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 11:29 GMT 

Diva Robillard, a great player in his own right was never going to settle into Dylan's band, he is too much of a traditionalist as a player - not that this is a bad thing - but lets be honest Donnie Herron, Charlie Sexton, they're always improvising or working around Dylan's nuances (if you can call them nuances). Whereas Robillard was just dropping in stock licks all over the shop.

Mind you it's fair enough to think perhaps things weren't communicated effectively as to what Dylan expected, he's a classic autistic and probably assumed Robillard would just come to 'know'.

Charlie Sexton is the best guitarist in such a long long time that Dylan worked with. Really there's only Bloomfield, Robertson and Sexton.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 11:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

trevgibb wrote:
Really there's only Bloomfield, Robertson and Sexton.

Um, no G.E. Smith on your list?

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 12:21 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:
Diva Robillard, a great player in his own right was never going to settle into Dylan's band, he is too much of a traditionalist as a player - not that this is a bad thing - but lets be honest Donnie Herron, Charlie Sexton, they're always improvising or working around Dylan's nuances (if you can call them nuances). Whereas Robillard was just dropping in stock licks all over the shop.

Mind you it's fair enough to think perhaps things weren't communicated effectively as to what Dylan expected, he's a classic autistic and probably assumed Robillard would just come to 'know'.

Charlie Sexton is the best guitarist in such a long long time that Dylan worked with. Really there's only Bloomfield, Robertson and Sexton.

Koella?

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 12:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Freddie makes my list--he seemed to fit Dylan to a "T", and the two seemed to inspire each other.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 12:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

If the occasional mean glance disturbs you, Dylan's band certainly isn't the right place for you.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 13:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
Freddie makes my list--he seemed to fit Dylan to a "T", and the two seemed to inspire each other.

^This.

Dylan gave Freddy more room to solo than any other guitarist and I think it was because he was somewhat eclectic. He watched Dylan like a hawk and had an uncanny knack for knowing just what to do.

Over the long haul Charlie has certainly found himself to be high on Dylan's list of guitarists. He knows his place, he does his job well, and plays his part.

I'm fond of GE Smith, JJ Jackson, and Larry Campbell as Dylan guitarists. Duke was interesting and I was sorry to see him depart so soon.

(Robbie Robertson is not on my list. His arrogance outshines his contributions and its a personality quirk of mine that I cannot get around. Maybe someday I'll get over it.)

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 13:40 GMT 

Jerry Garcia!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 13:54 GMT 

Charley McCoy!!!

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 14:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

No-one's licks are crisper than McCoy's

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 14:56 GMT 

Freddie was the best. I always thought he played lead guitar just like DYLAN would, had he actually practised electric guitar and became a virtuoso. Idiosyncratic, angular, stinging. Just like Bob's singing.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 15:32 GMT 

Koella is undoubtedly the most interesting guitar player Dylan ever played with. In fact, Koella is one of the more interesting guitar players I've ever heard. With Robertson and Sexton you know what you're getting, tasteful and rocking solos, licks, and fills. With Koella, that guitar would make some of the strangest and weirdest sounds. I loved it even when he failed though.

My dream Dylan lineup:

Levon Helm on drums
Rick Danko on bass
Freddy on lead guitar
Larry and Donnie on all other instruments

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 16:09 GMT 

Dylan would give Koella the worst dirty looks Ive ever witnessed, whenever he would showboat.
He really wasnt a good fit, a good guitar player, but a good fit no.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 16:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

This has been covered before. Duke, with his exotic leads, was drawing a louder applause than the Bobster. Sorry Duke - exit stage left!!

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 16:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

I like Duke...but exotic??

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 16:34 GMT 

Koella was exotic, Robillard was probably a victim of Sexton needing a job after his project with Matthews fell through.
Koellas guitar playing was to Dylans band what Aronsons bass playing was, both didnt last long.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 16:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
I like Duke...but exotic??

Maybe too strong a word. I saw him with Bob in Lowell, Mass., and Duke did a stunning lead on Tangled that brought a huge roar from the crowd. It was a high pitched, very intense lead. This was I think in the second stage of the tour he talks about, and of course, he was more familiar with the material by then, and was extending his virtuosity - much to Bob's chagrin, of course.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 17:25 GMT 

keithdylan wrote:
Judging by the video, I think he wants you to look at him for cues when you solo from time to time.

That's it! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2016, 17:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I saw Duke play with Dylan at Amherst and it was one of the best shows I've seen with Bob. I had folding chair seats on the floor of the gym, but we never sat down for the entire show. It was electric. Granted, I've only been seeing Bob since 2009.

I made a tape of that night, maybe I should go back and see if I can fix it up better than I could in those days. That was three years ago now, April 13th, 2013. I was hanging out in Boston that day, in some restaurant (south street diner perhaps, I had no idea what I wanted. Got a beer and a burger for less than $10.), a week later the bombing happened at the marathon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next