Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 15th, 2019, 22:27 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 13:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Oneofusmustknow wrote:
Dylan did let people solo in the past - its really only in the last decade, maybe, that he's repressed everything.

Although, the songs currently in The Set, don't really lend themselves to guitar solos much. In fact, his music in general doesn't really lend itself to guitar soloing.

Agreed. The songs in the set don't really offer much. I'm still kind of surprised at how much Charlie was allowed to solo during Til I Fell In Love With You from last summer

Yes, a Great "Til I Fell" last time around!

Back to Duke:
I, for one, truly enjoyed the Duke infusion.
We needed something different at the time to shake things up.
Little did we know the Duke-shake would result in such a static show.

We are now at a junction of desperate beckoning for change... 3 years on!

Of course we'll simply take whatever Bob dishes out and just try and figure it out later.

PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 16:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

Musicians clashing egos? Almost as old a story as hookers!

When I saw Duke with Bob in Lowell, Duke went into a superb acoustic lead in "Tangled Up in Blue" that sounded like a mandolin, but I think it was a guitar. Very high pitched, fast, and moving. The crowd burst into a huge spontaneous applause when his lead ended - unfortunately for the Duke, the applause was the sound of a guillotine to Bob.

In keeping the debate alive, which people express confusion over, Duke is simply basking in the Dylan glow again - he has no higher drawing card. Pump a few drinks into the Duke, and he'll probably stretch the story out for a couple of hours! Get it on YouTube Duke!!
Inquiring minds want to know!!

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 17:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

chrome horse wrote:

When I saw Duke with Bob in Lowell, Duke went into a superb acoustic lead in "Tangled Up in Blue" that sounded like a mandolin, but I think it was a guitar. Very high pitched, fast, and moving. The crowd burst into a huge spontaneous applause when his lead ended - unfortunately for the Duke, the applause was the sound of a guillotine to Bob.

Hmmm, it felt to me like they were having a jolly ole time together at that show, Chrome.

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 19:15 GMT 

Could child protection laws in Europe have prevented Robillard from traveling overseas with Dylan after their U.S. tour?

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 20:11 GMT 

Eustache Dauger wrote:
Could child protection laws in Europe have prevented Robillard from traveling overseas with Dylan after their U.S. tour?

! :o

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 03:33 GMT 

superhuman crew wrote:
smoke wrote:
I never understood the brouhaha about that clip...besides, if I recall it was near the start of the tour and Duke was hired back for the next one, so even if Dylan was angry and not just chilling for a minute and watching the band he clearly got over it.

Don't know about unannounced friends, I don't recall hearing that rumor, but it would be kind of funny if the whole thing was because Duke asked him to say hello to someone!

I understand your point about Duke being hired back for the next tour, but isn't it possible that Bob wanted to give him another chance to prove himself worthy of being in the band, so he hired him back for the summer tour? I think Bob gave Duke another chance, then he realized midway through the tour that Duke just wasn't working. After seeing that clip, I think it's pretty clear that Duke wasn't a good fit for Bob. When has Bob ever completely stopped playing and just watched the band? I saw Duke's last show with Bob in Nashville, and Bob kept looking back at him throughout the show - and I didn't get the vibe that Bob was very happy with what Duke was doing. I think it would've done Duke a lot of good to talk to Tony about what Bob wants in a lead guitarist.

I saw Bob stop playing and watch the band when they were at the Roundhouse in London in 2009. He walked round to the side of the keyboard and leant on it glaring across the stage. It was strange but funny in a black humour way. There was another moment when he pointedly turned his back to the audience. During the blackout before the encore he came to the front of the stage and did star jumps from one side to the other with a big grin on his face. Funny man.

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 05:27 GMT 

Exactly i saw that 2 at the roundhouse!! He was extremely pissed at his guitarist and humiliated him in front of the audience when he was doing mistakes, pointing fingers at him, saying loud no this was tadada amd not tadadadada and so on!!! Also Montreux 2001 he was extremely pissed at Charlie, I was 1st row, no barriers, and I can tell you sweaty Charlie was just like man I wished I disnt exist right now. I can understand why some people cannot handle this kind of behaviour, even if it comes from his Bobness.

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 07:24 GMT 

onemorecup wrote:

I saw Bob stop playing and watch the band when they were at the Roundhouse in London in 2009. He walked round to the side of the keyboard and leant on it glaring across the stage. It was strange but funny in a black humour way. There was another moment when he pointedly turned his back to the audience. During the blackout before the encore he came to the front of the stage and did star jumps from one side to the other with a big grin on his face. Funny man.

"Star jumps" is a complete exaggeration, though that would have been funny! :) He sort of ran/jogged across the front of the stage and pointed at the audience. Though compared to the rest of the show it was extremely athletic.

Bob seemed to be in a particularly bad mood at that concert, annoyed at camera flashes, the band, himself. I got the impression he was just in a bad mood generally and so everything came under fire. I wouldn't read too much into his stage mannerisms. Anyone who has ever been depressed (for instance) can relate to the feeling of every little thing upsetting you without reason.

Reading recent interviews you get the impression of a man who's moods can change like the wind, and indeed Bob himself has commented on this.

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 19:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
So more from the Dukester on facebook: but I know it must be hard to be you.. Duke Robillard
s.

Not as hard as being Duke I'd guess

PostPosted: Sat June 4th, 2016, 00:59 GMT 

This thread got me to put on a Koella show. Ta.

Larry Cambell has been doing a bit about his time with Dylan at his shows the last little while.

He talks about how he toured for a few years with Bob Dylan, and when he gets applause he quips "thanks, I deserve applause for getting through that."

Then he talks about how they'd get into this real high energy zone for an hour and a half each night, then just as you're up, you gotta get back on the bus and chill out. And how he dealt with realising that he was going to end up back on drugs/booze/whatever to deal with it.

PostPosted: Sat June 4th, 2016, 01:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

It must be nearly impossible to come down from the high of kicking ass in front of 20,000 people in a natural, sane way. What are you going to do? Have a cup of coffee and read a book?

PostPosted: Sat June 4th, 2016, 01:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
It must be nearly impossible to come down from the high of kicking ass in front of 20,000 people in a natural, sane way. What are you going to do? Have a cup of coffee and read a book?
You let a groupie ravage your body, silly wabbit

PostPosted: Sat June 4th, 2016, 02:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just one?????

PostPosted: Sun June 5th, 2016, 06:01 GMT 

And so it continues: Duke today on FB on Mavis Staples' guitarist page:

"Have a great tour, you guy will blow them away. I played with Mr. D a few years ago. Not what I hoped it would be.....Have great tour!"

PostPosted: Sun June 5th, 2016, 06:52 GMT 

Bob's a prick.

PostPosted: Sun June 5th, 2016, 08:31 GMT 
Mercury Member

Yeah but to be fair, we don't actually know he's going to vote Trump yet, do we?

PostPosted: Sun June 5th, 2016, 09:23 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
And so it continues: Duke today on FB on Mavis Staples' guitarist page:

"Have a great tour, you guy will blow them away. I played with Mr. D a few years ago. Not what I hoped it would be.....Have great tour!"

Oh God.

PostPosted: Sun June 5th, 2016, 10:50 GMT 

Can you imagine being a Girl who broke up with this guy?

Jesus Christ. Let it go already dude... It's starting to crossover into pathetic territory now.

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 05:22 GMT 

From October 2016:

Like Robillard, Bob Dylan has never been keen on analyzing and categorizing his music. Dylan brought Robillard into his band three years ago, but, within three months, Robillard was gone.

Rolling Stone reported in July 2013 that it was “unclear why Robillard is off the tour.” Robillard, the magazine said, posted a “cryptic message” on Facebook: "For sale: Bob Dylan CD and record collection, slightly used."

Robillard backed Dylan on 27 shows, and I was at one of them on April 6, 2013 — the second night of the tour at the Mullins Center on the University of Massachusetts campus in Amherst. I thought it was a pretty solid Dylan show, but I left somewhat frustrated, because, although Robillard played well, so few solos emerged form his talented fingers.

So, I ask Duke today what happened with Mr. Tambourine Man.

“I thought this question might pop up,” he says. “Well, as you know, Mr. Dylan is a complex man. I don't feel the necessity to answer your question here. I am working on a book about my life in music, and, in that book, I will most likely reveal the story of my short time with Dylan. I wish it had not gone the way it did in the end. The first tour was extremely enjoyable, but, by the second run, things had changed somehow. That's life.”

The entire article:

http://nodepression.com/article/duke-ro ... e-and-more

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 05:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here we go again

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 07:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Probably won't be rushing out to read your biography, sorry Duke.
Did enjoy seeing you those shows with Bob though, in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 13:25 GMT 

Now hes using the blob story to help sell his book. The guy really should get over it, although he is asked alot about being in bobs band, hes happy to answer.

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 13:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

We have Duke to thank for the emergence of The Set

(In response to the question 'say one nice thing about your opponent')

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 14:38 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
Now hes using the blob story to help sell his book. The guy really should get over it, although he is asked alot about being in bobs band, hes happy to answer.

He was responding to a direct question. What is he supposed to do? He puts on a better show than Dylan, by the way.

PostPosted: Tue October 18th, 2016, 15:40 GMT 

I think you have misread me monk, I agreed, duke is asked the question and will be each time he is interviewed I guess. That's the journalists trying to stir things up. Dukes happy to answer, its his choice.

The part that he didn't have to add was that ' his new book will have it all in there '. He's plugging the book in a poor way.

I've never seen Duke play so i can't judge, must be good though, dylans the most enigmatic, mesmerizing performer ive seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next