Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu June 20th, 2019, 21:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 03:39 GMT 

Charlie quit the band because his wife threatened divorce if he didn't get off the road so much. They had young children at the time. He came back after his wife divorced him anyway. The last thing in the world Charlie would have trouble with is getting work. (with virtually anyone he wanted to)

If there's any ex band member who may have reason to be bitter it's J.J. or maybe Winston. But both of them being honorable gentlemen, have nothing but pride for their time with Bob. And maybe they understand how things work.

Duke blew his chance all by himself and has been whining about it ever since. He should grow up.

Of course Bob can be a pain in the ass at times. That doesn't forgive Robillard.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 03:54 GMT 

Duke Robillard is a good player. Not a great player. I liked what I heard. Dylan moved in another direction. End of story.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 04:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
If the occasional mean glance disturbs you, Dylan's band certainly isn't the right place for you.

Pfff. I found that out the hard way.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 10:06 GMT 

Duke is certainly self-consciously hyping up the incident as being something unpleasant. It would be an anti-climax to the whole thing if it turned out to be anything very minor (and Gibsona's observation that battle-hardened session musicians are necessarily thick-skinned is a good point).

For that reason alone, I will be interested in reading Duke's side of the story via an extract from his book (which I'm sure will be widely publicized by people criticising him for seeking publicity).

But until then, at least, let's not be too quick to condemn anyone. We don't know these people.

driftless wrote:

Of course Bob can be a pain in the ass at times. That doesn't forgive Robillard.

Forgive him? He's replied to a relevant question about his ex-boss, not buried his wife under the garden pond.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 12:09 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:
onemorecup wrote:

I saw Bob stop playing and watch the band when they were at the Roundhouse in London in 2009. He walked round to the side of the keyboard and leant on it glaring across the stage. It was strange but funny in a black humour way. There was another moment when he pointedly turned his back to the audience. During the blackout before the encore he came to the front of the stage and did star jumps from one side to the other with a big grin on his face. Funny man.

"Star jumps" is a complete exaggeration, though that would have been funny! :) He sort of ran/jogged across the front of the stage and pointed at the audience. Though compared to the rest of the show it was extremely athletic.

Old post I know, but I saw this and had to chime in with some witness testimony! I was on the rail at the Roundhouse that night and saw those star jumps with my own eyes. Star jumps is exactly what they were. Bob hopped sideways across the front of the stage while the lights were down between songs, raising his arms diagonally upwards with each jump. That, in my humble opinion, is your textbook garden variety sideways star jump. He only did it once, just to mess with people, and when the lights came back up he acted all normal as if he was never doing star jumps at all. It was such a bizarre thing to witness that it's seared into my memory forever and, apart from Bob's relentless glaring at Stu Kimball, it was the most memorable thing about a pretty lacklustre concert.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 12:32 GMT 

driftless wrote:
Charlie quit the band because his wife threatened divorce if he didn't get off the road so much. They had young children at the time. He came back after his wife divorced him anyway. The last thing in the world Charlie would have trouble with is getting work. (with virtually anyone he wanted to)

If there's any ex band member who may have reason to be bitter it's J.J. or maybe Winston. But both of them being honorable gentlemen, have nothing but pride for their time with Bob. And maybe they understand how things work.

Duke blew his chance all by himself and has been whining about it ever since. He should grow up.

Sexton quit because he was going to become a producer. Producing Lucinda Williams for an indie probably is good for a months rent.
He quit the second time because he was going to start a band with Dave Matthews after Dylan had him turn down his amp. Both times he came back because he needed the money.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 12:38 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:

Old post I know, but I saw this and had to chime in with some witness testimony! I was on the rail at the Roundhouse that night and saw those star jumps with my own eyes. Star jumps is exactly what they were. Bob hopped sideways across the front of the stage while the lights were down between songs, raising his arms diagonally upwards with each jump. That, in my humble opinion, is your textbook garden variety sideways star jump. He only did it once, just to mess with people, and when the lights came back up he acted all normal as if he was never doing star jumps at all. It was such a bizarre thing to witness that it's seared into my memory forever and, apart from Bob's relentless glaring at Stu Kimball, it was the most memorable thing about a pretty lacklustre concert.

Sounds entertaining, but he actually just jogged (enthusiastically, in stark contrast to the rest of the gig) across the front of the stage, vaguely guesturing with his hands outwards towards the audience.

I can imagine how looking directly upwards (from the extreme close proximity of the front row) these movements may have seemed exaggerated. Though I think possibly it has more to do with the cut-price, oddly-coloured mushrooms that onemorecup and yourself purchased from Tesco prior to the show.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 12:48 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
LeftBanke wrote:
driftless wrote:

Sexton quit because he was going to become a producer. Producing Lucinda Williams for an indie probably is good for a months rent.
He quit the second time because he was going to start a band with Dave Matthews after Dylan had him turn down his amp. Both times he came back because he needed the money.

I'm wondering where you smart alecks all get this personal information

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 12:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Duke Tour Dates

Duke Robillard (appearing with Mark Hummel)

Fri 01/20/17 Oakland, CA Yoshi's Oakland

Sat 01/21/17 Folsom, CA Harris Center For The Arts

Wed 01/25/17 Eugene, OR The John G. Shedd Institute For The Arts

Thu 01/26/17 Seattle, WA Dimitriou's Jazz Alley

Fri 01/27/17 Seattle, WA Dimitriou's Jazz Alley

Sat 01/28/17 Seattle, WA Dimitriou's Jazz Alley

Sun 01/29/17 Seattle, WA Dimitriou's Jazz Alley

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 13:47 GMT 

Quote:
I'm wondering where you smart alecks all get this personal information

The internet.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 14:26 GMT 

^the exact source would be interesting

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 14:39 GMT 

I dont think so.
You didnt have to provide links for your exposition of the matter.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 14:50 GMT 

So it's only a pomposity

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 15:05 GMT 

Its the truth im just not going to put up a bunch of links about it.
Where are the divorce links?

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 15:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

meuse2208 wrote:
^the exact source would be interesting

Austin TX is one of those big/little towns. It was not that unusual to know someone who knows someone. Or even to go to a house concert and one of the musicians turn up. We met one of the ladies that Charlie did production for at a house concert. One day a co-worker came in and said Willie Nelson is playing a unannounced lunch concert down town. And of course everyone loves to share the " neighbor" gossip. You find out lots without even trying in that sort of setting.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 17:16 GMT 

There's enough water under the bridge now that I think it's time Duke just actually said why he was fired, although it really doesn't take a genius to figure it out; enough of Dylan's sidemen have gone on record stating that you if you play in Dylan's band, you play how Dylan wants. Duke was clearly unable, or unwilling, to do that. That's without even mentioning his penchant for social media...

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 17:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobfan wrote:
There's enough water under the bridge now that I think it's time Duke just actually said why he was fired, although it really doesn't take a genius to figure it out; enough of Dylan's sidemen have gone on record stating that you if you play in Dylan's band, you play how Dylan wants. Duke was clearly unable, or unwilling, to do that. That's without even mentioning his penchant for social media...

There's no mystery - he upstaged Bob Dylan. He's the paid help - you DO NOT draw a louder applause than your boss. Bye Bye Duke. One of the oldest problems in bands - ego clashing.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 17:23 GMT 

He might have gotten more than a mean look, but something really offensive or humiliating happening. Judging by what I read so far by people who got special treatment by Bob he really knows where to put it so it hurts. At least he is not writing songs about it any more. So should Duke.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 18:47 GMT 

patford wrote:
Duke Robillard is a good player. Not a great player. I liked what I heard. Dylan moved in another direction. End of story.

Who is great then? Robillard can play any kind of blues there is and the only other comparable blues player with his scope was Bloomfield.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 19:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

monklover wrote:
patford wrote:

Who is great then? Robillard can play any kind of blues there is and the only other comparable blues player with his scope was Bloomfield.

If he is a great player than it would seem he should be center stage with back up players behind him.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 19:22 GMT 

My guess is bob would have not spoken to him about and had someone tell duke they're paying him out of his contract. Given past 'resignations' im guessing they just told duke any old crap, like bobs moving in a different direction, a more mellow Sinatra sound. And yea who would believe it.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 20:00 GMT 

monklover wrote:
patford wrote:

The blues has been dead for decades. Anyone who still plays it is a zombie making silly guitar faces. Blues musicians were too stupid to notice that the public got tired of hearing the same melody, time signature, and three-chord pattern played over 12-bars. You've heard one blues song, you've heard them all. Only the tempos and the keys change. I needn't waste any words criticizing the genre's cliched lyrics.

Duke was driven out of Dylan's touring band because of his despicable offstage antics, not because he was getting too much applause. It was a "Try to avoid the scandals" sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed October 19th, 2016, 20:01 GMT 

The way I remember it is that the Duke was in financial troubles afterwards, did thank his wife for standing by him through that trouble, had to sell some of his equipment, hinted Bob's heavies having threatened him and him walked out after something really nasty happend. It did not at all sound as if he had been fired and payed out of a contract. That would surely not be worth the fuss!

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 00:01 GMT 

Mona Bond wrote:
The blues has been dead for decades. Anyone who still plays it is a zombie making silly guitar faces.

Spot on.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 00:50 GMT 

Mona Bond wrote:
The blues has been dead for decades. Anyone who still plays it is a zombie making silly guitar faces.
Jack White seems to be making a pretty decent living off of it, as do Nick Cave, Tom Waits and countless others.

Anyhow, Duke's comments were, at first, somewhat entertaining and had me curious as to what may have happened. Now, I'm just bored with him. Either come out with it or keep quiet. Ether way, it's not going to have an affect on how I feel about Dylan's music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next