Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon June 17th, 2019, 01:07 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 21:08 GMT 

sunset wrote:
What a job you have done!
It's one strange thing about this: On your lists "Street Legal" is way behind the others of the 6 I have mentioned. As I most often go for "Street Legal" (closest opponent Blood On the Tracks) I very often meet people that vote for Street Legal - but, that's when I talk with European fans. If I'm in US (I have seen more Dylan concerts in US than any other country) I don't hear many fans voting for Street Legal, and also maybe they more often go for the 60's albums; even the young fans. Do you know how many of your voters come from Europe and how many from US, and from the rest of the world?

I have no idea. If people who voted want to tell us...

Anyway I think it's possible Street-Legal has a good reputation as an album, but this voting system gives more importance to the songs. And Strret-Legal ranks higher in the overall album ratings ranking than the average song ratings ranking. But anyway it's around number 20.

PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 21:14 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
Can't speak for all Americans, but Street Legal has four of Dylan's least loved songs.

In the ranking of the songs from original studio albums exclusively (no outtakes, Bootleg Series, or different versions), four of the nine from Street Legal (We Better Talk This Over, True Love Tends to Forget, Is Your Love in Vain?, and Baby Stop Crying), rank lower than 200 (204, 226, 284, 285, respectively). That's pretty low out of 470 songs. But then consider this, too: the studio list includes the dozens of Sinatra covers, songs from Self Portrait (original), Dylan, Christmas in the Heart, Saved, Under the Red Sky, Down in the Groove, and Knocked Out Loaded.

I don't know if GuillemTM has a list of Dylan compositions only, but I'm guessing all four songs would be in the lower 10%.

Thanks for your analysis! I don't have such a list, I gave You all the data I have except for the specific votes from every user, which I think must be kept private and even I didn't read it.

If anyone wants to take the song ranking and keep covers out of it, it's possible to do. I don't have enough time and energy now but if anyone does, could be interesting.

Certainly there's some songs in Street-Legal that seem far to be loved. But, still as Street-Legal isn't among my favourite albums, I love 2 of the 4 songs You mention: Baby Stop Crying, and True Love Tends To Forget, which don't seem to be loved by many people. So I guess there are many mixed feelings about many songs in this album and provably there would only be some agreement on Señor and Changing Of The Guards. That's why, I think, this album isn't on the top 10.

By the way: I'm European.

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 16:08 GMT 

I think Street Legal is a fans favourite ; Changing of the Guards, Senor and Where Are You Tonight are top songs for people who like to play his stuff over and over and wonder about it all. In SL, the answer to the question 'How does it feel to be on your own?' is 'Not all that great actually'.

For the record buying public as a whole though, SL was a big step down. Too many 3* songs, production quality not great, Is Your Love in Vain was probably a rare lapse in taste. There was nothing to repeat the trick of BOOT and Desire after a bad couple of years for Dylan. And '78 was a year when the world of rock moved on. And so, by the end of that long year did BD, but as usual, not in a predictable way.

In my personal ranking order it's in the top ten, it's a very nostalgic record because he never wrote like that again, but I can completely see why it's about 20th in the league table.

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 00:37 GMT 

I have a bootleg of the live debut of Is Your Love In Vain? And I absolutely love it! It's got that same haunted, vacant cathedral of love feeling that I get from Cohen's Hallelujah. I think it suffered in the Street-Legal soundscape, and from too many like-minded songs on that album, and from a world unable to accept a mysoginistic song narrator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14