Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu June 20th, 2019, 22:08 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 13:07 GMT 

David Baddiel was very interesting although clearly not a ModBob fan. I do think a lot of folks put off by the voice would be pleasantly surprised if they attended a gig from late 2013 to present day. They may not be able to see him of course (that's a separate issue) but the vocal improvement between the current era and some years before is night and day. That said, Hyde Park may not be the answer but a small venue, about row 6 centre... not to be sniffed at.

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 23:19 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
David Baddiel was very interesting although clearly not a ModBob fan. I do think a lot of folks put off by the voice would be pleasantly surprised if they attended a gig from late 2013 to present day. They may not be able to see him of course (that's a separate issue) but the vocal improvement between the current era and some years before is night and day. That said, Hyde Park may not be the answer but a small venue, about row 6 centre... not to be sniffed at.

Yes: and, I think it was Paul Morley who said he always goes and sits in the first two rows, and how fascinating it is.

PostPosted: Tue February 26th, 2019, 07:21 GMT 

Latest episode very difficult to get through. In fact, I didn't manage it. The guest seemed blissfully ignorant of Dylan - as are quite a few of the guests.

Paul Morley's episode was intoxicatingly enthusiastic. Too many of the other episodes contain the following:

* comparisons with L Cohen, usually in Happy Len's favour.

* endless appreciation for BOTT/TOoM yet scarcely a mention for anything else from the last 45 yrs.

* a declaration of how it's great D keeps on keeping on & changing etc etc yet, in the next breath, lambast D for continually touring & changing his arrangements. [latest guest said seeing D in late 90s really "upset her". Is the NET one big F@CK YOU to the casual fan?!]

I wouldn't appear on a podcast discussing nuclear physics for the simple reason I know very little about it. A shame too many of this podcast's interviewees fail to show the same humility.

PostPosted: Tue February 26th, 2019, 09:54 GMT 

chauncey wrote:
Latest episode very difficult to get through. In fact, I didn't manage it. The guest seemed blissfully ignorant of Dylan - as are quite a few of the guests.

Paul Morley's episode was intoxicatingly enthusiastic. Too many of the other episodes contain the following:

* comparisons with L Cohen, usually in Happy Len's favour.

* endless appreciation for BOTT/TOoM yet scarcely a mention for anything else from the last 45 yrs.

* a declaration of how it's great D keeps on keeping on & changing etc etc yet, in the next breath, lambast D for continually touring & changing his arrangements. [latest guest said seeing D in late 90s really "upset her".

I wouldn't appear on a podcast discussing nuclear physics for the simple reason I know very little about it. A shame too many of this podcast's guests show the same humility.

Thanks for the feedback. We're trying to do them as well as we can; sticking to our credo that they remain "conversations with interesting people about Bob Dylan", whilst honouring the fact that they are freewheeling chats; not rigid, formalised interviews necessarily with experts; and not too hagiographic. We learn as we go along: we are led by our guests' interests, but if a subject comes up too often, we aim to steer away from it in the future. It's crucial to us, as Peter Fincham said, that we are devoted, yes, but also critical fans. Forty minutes of us all agreeing how wonderful something is has a finite level of interest. I don't remember anyone lambasting Dylan for his continually touring or reinvention; and often you will find one guest's opinion contradicts another. Which is the way it should be. A couple of times we have actively sought to talk to people who don't know Dylan that well and whose objectivity we find refreshing: talking to only the top tier of Dylan experts would have quite a limited appeal. Ultimately we hope to provide an archive of conversations with a range of interesting people that illuminates, analyses and contextualises the work of this phenomenally significant and occasionally frustrating individual - and the reason we're all here.

PostPosted: Tue February 26th, 2019, 20:49 GMT 

Been listening to a few episodes and I've been enjoying it. I don't agree with everything that is being said (all the piling on on the NET tour etc) but it's still interesting. I really enjoyed the comparison to the Marx Brothers--very apt!

PostPosted: Wed February 27th, 2019, 09:40 GMT 

Not talking about hagiographies, just having guests who know a bit about Dylan. The latest guest was asked a couple of questions where she had to discuss a Dylan song that had changed over time for her. She then proceeded to talk about one of her own songs!

I like the show. It’s the kind of thing I want to hear. You and Kerry have some great chats. BUT this latest episode was, I sincerely hope, the absolute nadir - on a par with Dylan & the Grateful Dead.

PostPosted: Wed February 27th, 2019, 10:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've been really enjoying the shows, but I'd add one caveat. I can totally understand why the hosts and the guests so far don't like the NET. Everyone's allowed an opinion and they express theirs well. However, it's presented as if everyone universally agrees that Dylan's current live shows are terrible. This is not the case, there are plenty of people, myself included, that think that his lives shows right now are really good. It'd be nice if you could acknowledge that some people do think that Dylan's shows are of a very high standard.

Indeed, the 1998 version of Tough Mama that was recently criticised, all be it totally fairly, comes from an era that some consider Dylan's very best.

Actually, I think that the guests not knowing much about Dylan is one of the podcasts strengths. It's a natural conversation, not some know-it-all droning on about how many obscure bootlegs they've heard, which is always really boring.

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed February 27th, 2019, 11:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

If I was ever to embark on a podcast journey, certainly this thread hasn’t
convinced me that this podcast would be the one to break the ice with.

Good luck & don’t forget to have fun.

PostPosted: Wed February 27th, 2019, 18:32 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I've been really enjoying the shows, but I'd add one caveat. I can totally understand why the hosts and the guests so far don't like the NET. Everyone's allowed an opinion and they express theirs well. However, it's presented as if everyone universally agrees that Dylan's current live shows are terrible. This is not the case, there are plenty of people, myself included, that think that his lives shows right now are really good. It'd be nice if you could acknowledge that some people do think that Dylan's shows are of a very high standard.

Indeed, the 1998 version of Tough Mama that was recently criticised, all be it totally fairly, comes from an era that some consider Dylan's very best.

Actually, I think that the guests not knowing much about Dylan is one of the podcasts strengths. It's a natural conversation, not some know-it-all droning on about how many obscure bootlegs they've heard, which is always really boring.

Keep up the good work!

I agree. The whole "I can't stand his voice now" is borderline cliche at this point. I'm not sure how the podcast can remedy that. Both hosts appear to be on the same page and I would say is a legitimate blind spot in the conversation.

PostPosted: Wed March 20th, 2019, 11:13 GMT 

FYI: the next episode (March 25th) features Dylan expert and insider Jeff Slate, who wrote the liner notes for More Blood, More Tracks. He has quite a bit to say about what lies ahead for BS releases and things. He has an in-depth knowledge of Dylan and speaks with great enthusiasm concerning his voice and material in recent years; so hopefully this will balance some of the things articulated in recent comments.

PostPosted: Wed March 20th, 2019, 13:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Really looking forward to the Jeff Slate episode, he's always interesting.

PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2019, 07:15 GMT 

The Jeff Slate episode is there for anyone who's interested. Bootleg Series and Rolling Thunder gossip and the like.

https://isitrollingbobtalkingdylan.podb ... eff-slate/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/is- ... 21669?mt=2

PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2019, 20:17 GMT 

Best episode yet, an absolute belter.

PostPosted: Mon March 25th, 2019, 20:41 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Best episode yet, an absolute belter.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon April 22nd, 2019, 20:36 GMT 

The new episode with Billy Bragg is great, loved the stuff where he discusses his approach to songwriting etc. Billy's definitely a "link in the chain" so fascinating to hear him contextualize Bob with Woody and himself. Great listen.

PostPosted: Mon April 22nd, 2019, 21:49 GMT 

Yep, another cracker of an episode.

PostPosted: Mon April 22nd, 2019, 22:21 GMT 

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue April 23rd, 2019, 09:48 GMT 

I really enjoyed the billy bragg one, I listen to a lot of podcasts so I haven't got into this one the way I would usually, I think its the format I'm not used to but the bragg one was excellent.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 07:59 GMT 

New episode features Larry Sloman, the author of
On the Road with Bob Dylan. He has seen the movie
and has heard the box set. Should be good.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 11:13 GMT 

I don't remember Ratso saying he'd heard the new box set, but I did ask him about the film.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 11:19 GMT 

He said that it's like Renaldo & Clara without Renaldo and Clara. Every fan's dream, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 17:31 GMT 

He also said it was the best rock'n roll footage he'd ever
seen. Of course he may be somewhat biased.
Still, interesting that even for someone familiar with the
tour and with the R&C movie, the doc was still an eye-opener.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 12:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ratso is effusive about Isis in On The Road With Bob Dylan. Would he have said it was the greatest rock n roll footage he'd seen if they hadn't included Isis?

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 12:42 GMT 

Hey Moderators - did you even listen to the Ratso interview? Can only assume not, since you wouldnt have deleted my post otherwise. Would you?

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 14:04 GMT 

Heard the Jeff Slate podcast now while doing some boring work on excel. Purty cool. Somebody naked enlarging yet some more his stature in the forum after his already legendary chronicles of the 66 tour!

Here´s a humble request from my side for the future. Should you interview anyone involved on the Tulsa archives, I would be very interested in knowing if anyone knows whether there are any tapes/recordings of the 1977 "I´m cold" songs.