Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 22nd, 2019, 16:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu June 16th, 2016, 11:26 GMT 

Over the last few years you’ve read some of my stories of working at New York’s A&R Studios as a recording engineer during the ‘70s including working on the New York sessions of BOTT. I’ve enjoyed and appreciated your enthusiastic response.

Many of you have asked when the book is coming out.
Well, here it is!

Never Say No to a Rock Star: In the Studio with Dylan, Jagger, Sinatra and More is available now from Schaffner Press!

You can buy it here on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Never-Say-No-Rock-Star/dp/1943156085?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

It includes untold stories of working with Paul Simon, James Brown, Steely Dan, Bette Midler, Judy Collins, Bob Fosse, Phoebe Snow, Phil Ramone and more.

Here is what a few readers have said:
“Glenn captures the excitement of making music and gives the reader a true feeling of being a part of the drive and fantasy, the magic and insanity, the moments of sheer exasperation and sheer wonder.” — JUDY COLLINS, Grammy winning singer/songwriter

“This book is beautifully written in the voice of a young idealist navigating the maelstrom and learning about life at the center of the action.” — STEPHEN HOLDEN, music and film critic

“One of the best “ROCK ‘N ROLL” writers I’ve ever read . . . RUN (and I mean that) to your computer and order a copy of Glenn’s new book “Never Say No to A Rock Star.”
— CHUCK GRANATA, author, record producer, and radio host

I’d would sure love it if you gave it a read, and if you like it, please post a review on Amazon, goodreads, here, or anywhere you like! You know how these things go these days! Thanks so much for your support.

All the best,

Glenn Berger

PostPosted: Thu June 16th, 2016, 12:44 GMT 

Good for you, Glenn! I'll be buying.

PostPosted: Thu June 16th, 2016, 12:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

Great stuff - another copy sold!

PostPosted: Thu June 23rd, 2016, 12:16 GMT 

Bumping this up to note that the book is now shipping from Amazon. Review to follow.

PostPosted: Thu June 23rd, 2016, 13:19 GMT 

I am almost through the book. Your chapter on Sinatra was excellent. The overall description of Paul Simon fits my impression of him from the first time I saw him live in 1969. Great writer, great guitarist, pretty good vocalist, miserable individual. Since we don't have to work with him,3 out of four ain't bad. The making of "Live Rhymin' is relevatory and hilarious.
The Dylan chapter was a bit disappointing since it had appeared before.
Finally, re: the Bette Midler story, what a putz.

PostPosted: Mon July 15th, 2019, 23:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm in the middle of this book now - somehow, I missed this discussion when Glenn first posted it - wish I hadn't - what a wonderful look at what it took to make the records that we hold dear to our hearts - the more I read about the recording process, the more I believe in some type of spiritual intervention that occurs to make possible the miracles that occur in the recording studio. Bravo, Mr. Berger!