Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 18th, 2019, 23:44 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 09:06 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
slewan wrote:

B -> how could you know?

Because you are bringing up monetary/economical aspects into the discussion quite often, don't you?

kind of 'Berufskrankheit' since I'm a sociologist. Beside that we should always kept in mind that music is a business and we can draw certain conclusions from that fact (concering tour planing for example)

PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 14:53 GMT 

Anyway it's dominant firm with competitive fringe. Price matching and allowing non-price aspects (simplicity, quality of website, assurance about meeting orders etc) to give the dominant firm a high market share at equal prices is a classic tactic. Watch carefully every time HMV or whoever offers a special. Amazon invariably price matches almost immediately.

What is more surprising is that Amazon UK, FR, DE, ES etc are not fully price aligned, but maybe that's because the competition authorities are watching.

Competitive market--- no sir. Trust me, I'm an economist. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 16:53 GMT 

bobdylan.com should really have had a better incentive to get people to order the set through them - if I remember correctly the with Trouble No More set you got an extra live show on 2CD's as a sweetener. Surely they could have come up with something a bit more tempting than what's on offer with the 1975 Live Recordings?

PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 17:15 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
bobdylan.com should really have had a better incentive to get people to order the set through them - if I remember correctly the with Trouble No More set you got an extra live show on 2CD's as a sweetener. Surely they could have come up with something a bit more tempting than what's on offer with the 1975 Live Recordings?

Yes, Live in San Diego 1979. Though to be honest, I probably listened to the show twice and it wasnt that good a show.

It feels like such a kick in the teeth to just get a luggage tag this time when, clearly, there are plenty of shows to pick from for an added disc (Plymouth? Waterbury). Lazy stuff, but can't really complain at this rate (well, I can). But we wont be bought off with cheap trinkets. :lol:
We know it, they know it, they're sitting on massive recordings. But at the same time, it's also cruel to "sweeten the deal" by extra shows and thereby shutting out those of us economically challenged (so in that sense it's actually pretty nice of them to just throw in some cheap tat for those who wanna prove how superfans they are).

PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 19:39 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

Kind of a relief as it's saved me some money, but surely you would have thought another bonus recording similar to San Diego '79 w/Trouble No More would have been the sensible option.

PostPosted: Mon May 6th, 2019, 22:10 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

I agree with the sentiment above. They saved me almost $60 by offering something as goofy as a luggage tag. The poster looks nice, but not $60 nice, not to mention im sort of past the hanging up posters phase of my life. I saved a copy of the photo and printed it out on photo paper to see how it would look, and while its only the size of a sheet of paper, it would work just fine had I wanted to hang it up.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 08:16 GMT 

Yeah, I'm actually GLAD they didn't offer any carrot-dangling extra recordings available from BD.com only.... that was really annoying, and made you feel you were missing out unless you ordered from them... and then we had the whole Shitsack debacle (or whatever that godawful courier was called that they used - never again)... I actually would rather they released the music available to all, and offered pointless trinkets as extras - that are easy to do without - and then released a 'The 1975 Live Recordings, Vol.2' in a few years, if they have the material there. At least that way they're making money and we're getting the music and we know what we're paying for.... there's no silliness like with Trouble No More.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 15:29 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:
Norway's biggest retailer in music that I use regularly does not have this release yet.

Well, Platekompaniet has it now (bunch of johnny-cum-latelys) but for $149 (even with free shipping) that's less than both amazon.co.uk and .de. Consider that a win, SirDogg.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 15:40 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Anr Bjotk wrote:
SirDogg wrote:
Norway's biggest retailer in music that I use regularly does not have this release yet.

Well, Platekompaniet has it now (bunch of johnny-cum-latelys) but for $149 (even with free shipping) that's less than both amazon.co.uk and .de. Consider that a win, SirDogg.

Yeah I got their newsletter so I cancelled my order at Amazon and ordered from PK 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 15:45 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:

Yeah I got their newsletter so I cancelled my order at Amazon and ordered from PK 8)

I'm still gonna save my money and wait a little longer this time.

But it's from their site I noticed that some of the rehearsal tracks are incomplete. It says so on bd.com too, but not on the bobdylan.shop.com site... Not that it matters as such.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 16:32 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
SirDogg wrote:

I preordered from amazon.uk today for 55,6 incl. postage to Norway. How can PK be cheaper....

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 16:39 GMT 

art wrote:

I preordered from amazon.uk today for 55,6 incl. postage to Norway. How can PK be cheaper....

Sorry, I didnt mean they were less, I meant they were both more than amazon.co.uk and amazon.de. Don't know why I wrote less instead of more. I was a bit distracted.

PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 17:09 GMT 

[/quote]

Sorry, I didnt mean they were less, I meant they were both more than amazon.co.uk and amazon.de. Don't know why I wrote less instead of more. I was a bit distracted.[/quote]

I see 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 8th, 2019, 15:20 GMT 

to the grave wrote:
Yes, very frustrating that Amazon US adjusts its price (even for those who ordered before the adjustment), but it appears that the official store will not do the same.

I did go ahead and email the official store to ask them about this; we'll see if I even get a reply, but I hope more of you who purchased the deluxe set will also send an email.

I likely would have still paid the extra $70; but there is obviously a principle involved. If "Bob Dylan" is going to adjust the price on Amazon, then his official store should make the comparable adjustments and honor the new price for pre-orders in the same way that Amazon does.

Amazon.com adjusted the price once all 1000 bundle sets available for the US market were sold. The timing is not likely to be just a coincidence. Apart from possible business deals, amazon profits a lot from the data collected in the process (knowing who exactly is willing to order products at different prices is worth a ton for them).

More interesting would be to know what the official Dylan store will do with the 80 or so orders placed on the UK store before the price dropped there. Looks like UK customers are less interested in paying a premium for a poster + luggage tag and the extra costs added to the more or less hidden link don’t make the bundle that appealing in other European countries either.

PostPosted: Thu May 9th, 2019, 05:24 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
Amazon.com adjusted the price once all 1000 bundle sets available for the US market were sold. The timing is not likely to be just a coincidence. Apart from possible business deals, amazon profits a lot from the data collected in the process (knowing who exactly is willing to order products at different prices is worth a ton for them).

More interesting would be to know what the official Dylan store will do with the 80 or so orders placed on the UK store before the price dropped there. Looks like UK customers are less interested in paying a premium for a poster + luggage tag and the extra costs added to the more or less hidden link don’t make the bundle that appealing in other European countries either.

What did the price drop from and to where in the UK stores?

It seems the set is once again available at amazon.co.uk. Meaning what? That they sold out and got it back in stock or was waiting for the right price (I assume not, since the price went up and down several times, but...)?

PostPosted: Thu May 9th, 2019, 07:10 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
But at the same time, it's also cruel to "sweeten the deal" by extra shows and thereby shutting out those of us economically challenged (so in that sense it's actually pretty nice of them to just throw in some cheap tat for those who wanna prove how superfans they are).

Totally agree with that, that's why I'm thinking that the set available from the official site should retail at no more than $20 than the normal retail selling price! Whether it's extra CD's, Belt Buckles or Posters!

PostPosted: Sun May 12th, 2019, 19:06 GMT 

No posts in 3 days? We're all just patiently waiting? No more speculations or wild harebrained theories? This is a turn-up for the books. I guess we all have continued on to BS15.

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 07:51 GMT 

Frankly I'm a bit bored with the endless discussions/moaning/comparison of prices. Why don't we do that in a separate thread, and reserve this one for the musical content?

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 09:15 GMT 

Kirk wrote:
Frankly I'm a bit bored with the endless discussions/moaning/comparison of prices. Why don't we do that in a separate thread, and reserve this one for the musical content?

Agreed - anal retention, thy name is Dylan fan.

I won't even be buying the physical product - I haven't played a CD in years - so couldn't give a rat's chuff if you can get it 3 pence cheaper by pretending to be a Chinese woman in Frankfurt as long as you order between midnight and 12.01 on a Thursday.

Indeed, one could argue that by saving the environmental damage and carbon footprint this way. I'm actually an ethical fan and therefore superior to the vast majority of you.

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 09:42 GMT 

(Sorry, this is another price related post...)

I just ordered from amazon.de (72.97€ w/ shipping to Portugal). I would've preferred ordering from jpc.de (and I would've payed 3€ less) but quite frankly I was afraid they might cancel the order (something I think amazon can't do). I still find this price unusually low and in fact in amazon.es (which normally would be my preferred option, since don't charge shipping to Portugal) the same item is priced as 256€!
There seems to be a mistake here somewhere...
[url]https://www.amazon.es/Rolling-Thunder-Revue-1975-Recordings/dp/B07NWZ6345/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=rolling+thunder+revue&qid=1557738191&s=gateway&sr=8-3[/url]

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 10:32 GMT 

Pedro M wrote:

I just ordered from amazon.de (72.97€ w/ shipping to Portugal). I would've preferred ordering from jpc.de (and I would've payed 3€ less) but quite frankly I was afraid they might cancel the order (something I think amazon can't do). I still find this price unusually low and in fact in amazon.es (which normally would be my preferred option, since don't charge shipping to Portugal) the same item is priced as 256€!
[url]https://www.amazon.es/Rolling-Thunder-Revue-1975-Recordings/dp/B07NWZ6345/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=rolling+thunder+revue&qid=1557738191&s=gateway&sr=8-3[/url]

So you're complaining you got a good deal?

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 10:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

McG wrote:

Indeed, one could argue that by saving the environmental damage and carbon footprint this way. I'm actually an ethical fan and therefore superior to the vast majority of you.

Nope. CDs and Vinyl both have a lower carbon footprint than streaming.

'Streaming an album over the internet more than 27 times will likely use more energy than it takes to produce and manufacture a CD.'

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 10:54 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
McG wrote:

Nope. CDs and Vinyl both have a lower carbon footprint than streaming.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

Not planning on streaming.

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:35 GMT 

McG wrote:
Pedro M wrote:

So you're complaining you got a good deal?

No.
I was just putting forward the possibility that the right/final price might be closer to the one on amazon.es (and more in line with the price of previous BS editions, that did sell for more than 100€ with far fewer CDs.)
In amazon.es the price I payed for the 14 CD edition is instead the price tag for the mp3 edition.

PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 13:40 GMT 

Pedro M wrote:

No.
I was just putting forward the possibility that the right/final price might be closer to the one on amazon.es (and more in line with the price of previous BS editions, that did sell for more than 100€ with far fewer CDs.)
In amazon.es the price I payed for the 14 CD edition is instead the price tag for the mp3 edition.

Anybody paying that €256 on Amazon.es is an idiot. It's £60 in UK for the CD version.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 39  Next