Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue June 25th, 2019, 12:16 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 18:38 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 30th, 2008, 23:50 GMT
Posts: 99
Anr Bjotk wrote:
DCB wrote:
Why bother calling it Rolling Thunder Revue if you don't include the actual revue?


Because that was the name of the tour? Should songs on the Neverending tour never stop playing? I dont know about y'all but I could give two shizzles about the other performers (unless there is any recording of Ginsbergs participation, but I always assumed he was more the guru rather than someone who was miced up? Am I wrong?).


That seems to be the consensus here. I actually like Ramblin' Jack Elliott's sets, especially as he tended to cover some Woody Guthrie tunes that tied in to Dylan's early folk days. Joan Baez also performed some folk tunes that harked back to the early '60s, and her performance of "Diamonds and Rust" was a nightly highlight. I always enjoy hearing Rob Stoner cover Bob Dylan's song "Catfish" and T-Bone Burnette covering Waren Zevon's "Werewolves of London", and Roger McGuinn performing "Eight Miles High".

Even with the singers that I don't particularly care for, I enjoy hearing interplay between David Mansfield and the other backing musicians.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 22:42 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 26th, 2009, 09:31 GMT
Posts: 1078
Location: Mobile
Ok so Johnny Hammond New York, Plymouth, Boston and Montreal then. The rehearsals will be interesting as there are loads we haven't heard.

Interesting Joey wasn't played live until 1987.

This is a bit teaser for 1976 https://youtu.be/lfmdXnnZojU


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 22:49 GMT 

Joined: Sun February 24th, 2019, 16:36 GMT
Posts: 37
Location: Sweden
The links doenst seem to work


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 23:55 GMT 

Joined: Thu September 25th, 2008, 22:08 GMT
Posts: 483
Pauley wrote:
Ok so Johnny Hammond New York, Plymouth, Boston and Montreal then. The rehearsals will be interesting as there are loads we haven't heard.

Interesting Joey wasn't played live until 1987.

This is a bit teaser for 1976 https://youtu.be/lfmdXnnZojU


Tremendous link! That video is exactly the reason id lust over a 76 box set


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 00:22 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue April 1st, 2008, 16:38 GMT
Posts: 7956
Location: The North Country
Pauley wrote:
New York, Plymouth, Boston and Montreal then. U


And Waturbury. Unless my memory fails me, Larry Sloman in On the Road With Bob Dylan called Waturbury the strongest show of the tour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 02:41 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 4th, 2014, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 329
John B. Stetson wrote:
Larry Sloman in On the Road With Bob Dylan called Waturbury the strongest show of the tour.

What are the chances I'll agree with Sloman?

Anybody got the Sam Shepard Rolling Thunder Logbook? Or is that a dumb question?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 03:25 GMT 

Joined: Wed September 17th, 2014, 16:14 GMT
Posts: 108
Anr Bjotk wrote:
Absolutely Sour Marie wrote:
[quote="Anr Bjotk"] Should songs on the Neverending tour never stop playing?
According to insiders, there are still at least two NET performances of Spirit On The Water under way right now somewhere.


I didn't get that joke... Is it because Spirit on the Water is a pretty boring song?[/quote]Yes, it was played regularly, is quite long and unpopular... Nothing more to it. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 03:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed November 29th, 2017, 04:04 GMT
Posts: 2851
The Spirit on the Water trashing is well and truely tiresome now.

I hope Dylan plays Spirit whenever he feels like it. And to hell with the Never Ending Set List Bashers. :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 09:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun April 26th, 2009, 09:31 GMT
Posts: 1078
Location: Mobile
Yeah, bob Dylan is a one trick pony. Always rehashing the same songs...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 11:50 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 4th, 2018, 12:38 GMT
Posts: 465
I spent some time with Waterbury this morning - for anyone who, like me, wants another Hard rain, yet One more cup of coffee plus St Augustine and Never let me go, this is the one


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 17:20 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon October 18th, 2010, 03:16 GMT
Posts: 1837
ballyho wrote:
I spent some time with Waterbury this morning - for anyone who, like me, wants another Hard rain, yet One more cup of coffee plus St Augustine and Never let me go, this is the one


Thanks for the tip. Better than Forth Worth I hope?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 9th, 2019, 18:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon March 30th, 2009, 14:57 GMT
Posts: 1555
Location: Doing society a fayvah
GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
The Spirit on the Water trashing is well and truely tiresome now.

I hope Dylan plays Spirit whenever he feels like it. And to hell with the Never Ending Set List Bashers. :D :D


In the new updated version of Dante's Inferno, his Fourth Circle of Hell has the very first lines of Spirit on the Water and Beyond the Horizon playing on an eternal loop.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 10th, 2019, 00:18 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2412
Location: Ireland
Some people can never get the point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 10th, 2019, 01:29 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 4th, 2014, 21:25 GMT
Posts: 329
Anr Bjotk wrote:
ballyho wrote:
I spent some time with Waterbury this morning - for anyone who, like me, wants another Hard rain, yet One more cup of coffee plus St Augustine and Never let me go, this is the one


Thanks for the tip. Better than Forth Worth I hope?

Better than Fort Collins I hope. Because that would be really good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 10th, 2019, 01:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 14:43 GMT
Posts: 2019
Location: Singapore
ballyho wrote:
I spent some time with Waterbury this morning - for anyone who, like me, wants another Hard rain, yet One more cup of coffee plus St Augustine and Never let me go, this is the one


Tell It Like It Is was one of my first ever bootlegs and it's still one of favourites!
"He tells it like it is" !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 10th, 2019, 08:41 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 4th, 2018, 12:38 GMT
Posts: 465
I took 30 days free streaming on Amazon for this purpose, recommended:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Thunde ... deo&sr=8-3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 10th, 2019, 09:18 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 4th, 2018, 12:38 GMT
Posts: 465
Ghost Of Lectricity wrote:
Anybody got the Sam Shepard Rolling Thunder Logbook?


Quiet readable, best part is when Lou Kemp fiddles with the brakes/gears of Ratso’s car so he can’t slow down on the road...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 14:00 GMT 

Joined: Mon January 26th, 2009, 11:24 GMT
Posts: 87
Following the link to amazon Spain about the boxset, I found this:

https://www.amazon.es/Chronicles-2-Bob- ... B00LQF9VGW

Not sure if this kind of thing pop up in amazon from time to time or what


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 14:17 GMT 

Joined: Mon May 11th, 2009, 17:29 GMT
Posts: 228
waits wrote:
Following the link to amazon Spain about the boxset, I found this:

https://www.amazon.es/Chronicles-2-Bob- ... B00LQF9VGW

Not sure if this kind of thing pop up in amazon from time to time or what


This has been discussed, as the "December 31, 2019" date has been stated on a few sites:

https://www.expectingrain.com/discussio ... 0dae6b2d55

It's unlikely that a publisher would release a book on the last day of the year, especially when it means missing the Christmas sales opportunity. So it's likely a placeholder for "sometime in 2019".

There have been reports that he has been working on Volume 2 for many years now, maybe it truly is going to see the light of day this year. I hope so, the first one was a great read.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 15:33 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 9172
Location: Desolation Row
There's been an amazon placeholder for Chronicles 2 since the first book came out. The release date always get pushed back. There's absolutely zero chance of chronicles 2 being released this year, or probably ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 15:40 GMT 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 29th, 2006, 20:42 GMT
Posts: 1337
Location: Merrimack, NH
gibsona07 wrote:
There's been an amazon placeholder for Chronicles 2 since the first book came out. The release date always get pushed back. There's absolutely zero chance of chronicles 2 being released this year, or probably ever.


Ditto. The chances of a Chronicles 2 release are about as likely as the release of the "untitled Christmas book" that has been on the Amazon US site since 2009


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 16:06 GMT 

Joined: Thu January 10th, 2019, 21:21 GMT
Posts: 47
ballyho wrote:
I took 30 days free streaming on Amazon for this purpose, recommended:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Thunde ... deo&sr=8-3


Is this new??

I have Prime so I can listen to this. From the rumoured boxset??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 16:50 GMT 

Joined: Tue December 4th, 2018, 12:38 GMT
Posts: 465
It’s the whole show ’HD remastered’ but it stems from the soundboard recording from Wolfgang’s vault, I believe (I’m sure)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 16:51 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 3387
PJDylanRAF wrote:
ballyho wrote:
I took 30 days free streaming on Amazon for this purpose, recommended:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Thunde ... deo&sr=8-3


Is this new??

I have Prime so I can listen to this. From the rumoured boxset??


no. This is not anofficial release!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon March 11th, 2019, 16:59 GMT 

Joined: Thu January 10th, 2019, 21:21 GMT
Posts: 47
Thanks for the clarification. Still sounds pretty great.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 969 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain, finbar, Kirk, Narrow Way, toilandblood546


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group