Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu June 20th, 2019, 22:10 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: No mans land
PostPosted: Mon May 13th, 2019, 00:52 GMT 

Joined: Mon May 13th, 2019, 00:43 GMT
Posts: 1
Hi

I've seen a couple of references (unfortunately on Wikipedia so not most reliable) that Bob has covered Eric Bogles no man land/ green fields of France. But can't find anything on it. Can any one help me out?

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Tue May 14th, 2019, 11:15 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 10th, 2006, 21:47 GMT
Posts: 2455
Don't know, but if he has, my guess is the concert goers constant clamoring of, "Do you know any Bogle?", may have finally worn him down.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Wed May 15th, 2019, 11:20 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 19217
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
dingo wrote:
Don't know, but if he has, my guess is the concert goers constant clamoring of, "Do you know any Bogle?", may have finally worn him down.

I can honestly say, those words have never rolled off my tongue during a Dylan concert...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Wed May 15th, 2019, 15:22 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 18034
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
I’ve never heard of him doing the song (which doesn’t mean he didn’t—he’s done a lot of songs) but the lines “bang the drum slowly and play the fife lowly” crop up in Where Teardrops Fall from 1989. Could be a shared folk source, though.

Surely someone on here will have the scoop for you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 05:46 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 10th, 2006, 21:47 GMT
Posts: 2455
Untrodden Path wrote:
dingo wrote:
Don't know, but if he has, my guess is the concert goers constant clamoring of, "Do you know any Bogle?", may have finally worn him down.

I can honestly say, those words have never rolled off my tongue during a Dylan concert...



Untrodden, you are getting sleepy, very, very, very s l e e p y, you feel a strange compulsion to stencil the name oldmanemu on a t-shirt and head for the first Dylan Australian concert available. You must procure a center stage front row seat, just as the first song begins you will start shouting "do you know any Bogle?" at the top of your lungs incessantly throughout the entire concert or until subdued... afterward, you will remember none of this, forget all about Bob Dylan, and become a fanatical Abba super fan! : )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 08:17 GMT 

Joined: Tue January 6th, 2015, 15:03 GMT
Posts: 708
smoke wrote:
the lines “bang the drum slowly and play the fife lowly” crop up in Where Teardrops Fall from 1989. Could be a shared folk source, though.

Of course. Most famously in the song "The Streets of Laredo".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 10:05 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue April 4th, 2006, 16:17 GMT
Posts: 3167
Location: Glasgow, on the banks of the clyde
You know the song in my heart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 12:16 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu January 24th, 2008, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 19217
Location: Where the swift don't win the race
Untrodden Path wrote:
dingo wrote:
Don't know, but if he has, my guess is the concert goers constant clamoring of, "Do you know any Bogle?", may have finally worn him down.

I can honestly say, those words have never rolled off my tongue during a Dylan concert...

dingo wrote:
Untrodden, you are getting sleepy, very, very, very s l e e p y, you feel a strange compulsion to stencil the name oldmanemu on a t-shirt and head for the first Dylan Australian concert available. You must procure a center stage front row seat, just as the first song begins you will start shouting "do you know any Bogle?" at the top of your lungs incessantly throughout the entire concert or until subdued... afterward, you will remember none of this, forget all about Bob Dylan, and become a fanatical Abba super fan! : )

Wow, can you even imagine how Take A Chance on Me would sound with Bob and His Band?!

I am in on this!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 14:40 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 3rd, 2009, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 2162
Location: Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
Can you hear the drums Fernando?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 04:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 10th, 2006, 21:47 GMT
Posts: 2455
Untrodden Path wrote:
Wow, can you even imagine how Take A Chance on Me would sound with Bob and His Band?!

I am in on this!!!





Oh my goodness, my deepest apologies untrodden, this is such an unfortunate turn of events even I could not have possibly predicted it.

Either the irresistible powerful beat of Abba has completely possessed you (Bjorn again) or else Mrs. untrodden has a gun to your head... she does, doesn't she, yes, I'm sure of it!

Best of luck untrodden, if all goes well, hope to see ya on the other side, er, that is, the Abba site, cheers, dingo. : )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: No mans land
PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 18:00 GMT 

Joined: Sat April 20th, 2019, 08:24 GMT
Posts: 7
In the 1984 Rolling Stone interview/article, the writer refers to Bob busking through a version of Karma Chameleon. Eric Bogle as Boy George? Too scary to contemplate!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: toilandblood546


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group