Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:33 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 01:42 GMT 

Is the blood test pressing the same idot wind as prior released? I just heard tonight on vinyl and sounds very much the same but not sure.
Organ and bass blow me away

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 03:14 GMT 

I think the answer is yes. The test pressing is different from the one on bott which is a later recording session and more blood which is the New York session but without the full organ overdub . It is my understanding that it is the same as the one on the bootleg blood on the tapes though.

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 04:07 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
BobDylan66 wrote:
The test pressing (or first pressing, aka New York Sessions) was how the album should have sounded if Bob didn't decided at the end of December 1974 to rerecord it in Minneapolis.
The mood of the album was more austere and had better cohesion, in the same vein as Simple Twist Of Fate, Meet Me In The Morning, and Shelter From The Storm (somber, melancholic, acoustic only). The biggest difference was with Idiot Wind, with its beautiful Hammond Organ.
With Bootleg Series 14 (More Blood More Tracks), we now have all the tracks from the first sessions in New York (used for the test pressing), except for the correct dub on Idiot Wind. The test pressing for Record Store Day 2019 fixed that omission. We could say it was a lost album finally released.

While More Blood More Tracks (6 CDs) has all the takes from the test pressing, the test pressing also has unique mixes/edits/overdubs throughout (not just on Idiot Wind) that are not on More Blood More Tracks (6 CDs). The test pressing is different from any other release of the Blood On The Tracks material.

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 09:10 GMT 

Pauley wrote:
I think the answer is yes. The test pressing is different from the one on bott which is a later recording session and more blood which is the New York session but without the full organ overdub . It is my understanding that it is the same as the one on the bootleg blood on the tapes though.

So the same as Blood on the Tapes or not? Was the organ overdub on Blood on the Tapes?

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 09:29 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Pauley wrote:

So the same as Blood on the Tapes or not? Was the organ overdub on Blood on the Tapes?

The test pressing version of Idiot Wind (organ overdub) is track No. 4 on the Blood On The Tapes bootleg CD from 1997.

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 14:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

The organ overdub is missing from the box set, as are a number of tracks that had edits done to them which altered the final result considerably - to that extent the box set is certainly not the last word in BOTT material, and the addition of the test pressing (itself different to the acetates which preceded it) is a 'must have' for completists. The 'spooky organ' version of Idiot Wind is 'the one' as far as I'm concerned and I was very surprised when the version on BS 1-3 came out and turned out to be a totally different version, albeit with organ.

The Steve Hoffman forum has some incredibly detailed breakdowns of what is (and isn't) included in the box; from that it's clear that even with all we now have access to (original release, speed corrected limited edition audiophile release, various boots like 'Blood On The Tapes', the 6CD box set, the Test Pressing, the Jerry McGuire 'Shelter', etc) we still don't actually have everything. I doubt now that we ever will as the various bits and pieces missing (including the advertised 'studio chatter' previously transcribed by Heylin) would not make a viable stand alone release. I guess it had to stop somewhere but I think it has been done a bit sloppily - not to mention the missing Minneapolis sessions which were the initial reason for the long delay in releasing the box and which still haven't come to light.

It would be useful if someone were able to do a breakdown of the box set in terms of which tracks were already available in some form prior to its release, thereby giving an indication of what commonly known tracks are not included on the box - for example the 'spooky organ' Idiot Wind with the organ missing was not available before the box, and missing it off seems almost perverse, and quite likely one reason the test pressing RSD release is so highly sought after. Were they planning the RSD release at the same time they were compiling the box, or is it a response to complaints about what the box is lacking?

EDIT - the same thing happened with Cutting Edge, supposedly 'every note Dylan played in the studio from '65 - '66', which was quickly shown to be incomplete, although at 18 cd's one questions ones sanity when demanding more.

PostPosted: Sat April 20th, 2019, 17:55 GMT 

Blood on the tracks New York sessions /// from Scorpio
Blood on the tapes /// from Columbo
Idiot Wind on the 48th street /// from Wanted man

http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-b28.html
http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-b27.html
http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-i-46.html

PostPosted: Sun April 21st, 2019, 09:32 GMT 

clean cut kid wrote:
Is the blood test pressing the same idot wind as prior released? I just heard tonight on vinyl and sounds very much the same but not sure.
Organ and bass blow me away

Right. This is it, as clear as I can make it.

Test pressing, 1974: "spooky organ" NY cut. Unofficially released until April 2019 - widely bootlegged until then (Blood On The Tapes, NY Sessions, etc: sometimes with a skip on the first note). Includes vocal punch-in from the take that would be later released on BS 1-3 ("You didn't trust me....autumn").

Album, 1975: Minnesota version. Completely different.

Hard Rain, 1976: completely different again. Tonally, kind of the perfect amalgam of all versions. Say some.

BS 1-3, 1991: incorrectly described as "spooky organ" cut in liner notes - they probably changed it after the notes were written. This is, in fact, the complete NY take 6 with a bit of reverb and NO organ. A much more direct vocal approach than even the test pressing version. Compare the lack of vocal swaying around the notes in the words "idiot wind".

MBMT, 2018: every version, without reverb - "you're in the room!" - but new organ overdub on famed test pressing cut (still unavailable at this point); more bafflingly, someone read up on this vocal punch-in business, misunderstood it and managed to insert the lines taken out of the test pressing version and put them into the BS 1-3 take. So these two takes now have each other's "you didn't trust me for a minute babe/I'd never known the spring to turn so quickly into autumn" lines. No one noticed, apart from every angry Dylan fan in the world, after it was released. Notebooks, yeah: but this really grated.

RSD, 2019: test pressing duplicate. Back to where we came in.

So, strictly speaking, there is still one version unreleased: until someone with the time, editing skills and software (anyone? Please be my guest. Someone surely has to) takes the test pressing take from MBMT, snips the vocal punch-in and replaces it with the lines mistakenly issued on the MBMT version of the BS 1-3 version (Take 6: the punch-in is at 4:40). But then you've still got the organ problem...oh, I give up.

Got that?

PostPosted: Mon April 22nd, 2019, 07:56 GMT 

Thank you Somebody Naked ... I've got it and I always thought I had it but your note confirms it for me anyway. What I do know is that I have all the releases even including the 'half speed master' so I am satisfied now ...nothing more to collect, I hope. Cheers and again, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon April 22nd, 2019, 08:49 GMT 

Canute wrote:
nothing more to collect, I hope

One day!

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 05:48 GMT 

So which is the closest to the actual spooky organ NY take? Test pressing, mbmt or blood on the tapes?

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 07:28 GMT 

Pauley wrote:
So which is the closest to the actual spooky organ NY take? Test pressing, mbmt or blood on the tapes?

Please read my post above.

PostPosted: Tue May 21st, 2019, 17:26 GMT 

I don't mean to sound pissy; but I worked quite hard on wording it so that it would answer every enquiry such as yours. Five posts above this one. If it doesn't answer your question, by all means come back.