Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 15th, 2019, 22:31 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Carnegie Hall ....
PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 10:24 GMT 

I was listening to the 36CD World Tour set and reading Clinton Heylin at the same time and I was struck that the set did not include shows which I am sure were taped by Dylan's recording maestro - Carnegie Hall and New Jersey... both of which seems to get positive reactions from the audiences. Particulary CH where he appeared to be cheered. He got the same positive feeling in Belfast which got released first in Biograph and then finally with all the rest ...or most of the rest. Do we indeed know the set list for Carnegie Hall? As as before? Someone remarked that photos in the book that came with the box set 1965/1966 carried photos from that show, but nothing is captioned so it is hard to tell. Maybe out here has some of the answers?

Post subject: Re: Carnegie Hall ....
PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 13:13 GMT 

Canute wrote:
I was listening to the 36CD World Tour set and reading Clinton Heylin at the same time and I was struck that the set did not include shows which I am sure were taped by Dylan's recording maestro - Carnegie Hall and New Jersey... both of which seems to get positive reactions from the audiences.

I was disappointed that the Carnegie Hall show was not included in the 1965 Copyright Collection, which also did not include Ginsburg's recordings of the shows in San Francisco and San Jose. I guess Sony was confident that the recordings would not subsequently leak and be releasable as Public Domain.

I assume both San Francisco and San Jose shows can and are now being released by European labels under Public domain.

What is the date and venue of the New Jersey show? How do you know it was recorded? Did Clinton Heylin mention something about it?

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 13:19 GMT 

Carnegie Hall Oct 1 65 ; Newark Oct 2 according to Olof Bjorner, first port of call for such questions.

Carnegie Hall would be interesting if recorded because it included Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window.

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 16:43 GMT 

I'm getting what I know from Heylin's Judas! book and the Newark and NY Carnagie show must have been recorded ….Albert Grossman did not like to miss making a penny or two … Richard Alderson must have been employed for those and what was to come when they started to go round the world. Maybe Newark and NY and Texas and the other places were not rated, but according to the book the audience reaction was changing from booing to cheering. Maybe Sony/Columbia will eventually get round to releasing them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 21:11 GMT 

I was at the Newark concert.
https://blog.peterstonebrown.com/2014/02/24/reviving-a-memory/

PostPosted: Sat May 18th, 2019, 14:06 GMT 

DCB wrote:
Canute wrote:
I was listening to the 36CD World Tour set and reading Clinton Heylin at the same time and I was struck that the set did not include shows which I am sure were taped by Dylan's recording maestro - Carnegie Hall and New Jersey... both of which seems to get positive reactions from the audiences.

I was disappointed that the Carnegie Hall show was not included in the 1965 Copyright Collection, which also did not include Ginsburg's recordings of the shows in San Francisco and San Jose. I guess Sony was confident that the recordings would not subsequently leak and be releasable as Public Domain.

I assume both San Francisco and San Jose shows can and are now being released by European labels under Public domain.

What is the date and venue of the New Jersey show? How do you know it was recorded? Did Clinton Heylin mention something about it?

Carnegie Hall and the preceding rehearsals were taped professionally. As far as I know they were excluded from the 1965 Copyright Collection, because Sony/Dylan's people simply do not have access to the tapes (they passed from the estate of Albert Grossman straight into the hands of a collector in the late 1980s, I think).

The Ginsberg recordings were excluded from the Copyright Collection, because, again, Sony/Dylan's people simply do not own the tapes and did not buy them (for whatever reasons) from the Ginsberg estate. And they can only release what they have access to. The tapes were moved to the Ginsberg archive, where apparently they were not kept under lock and key and thus copies were made.

PostPosted: Sat May 18th, 2019, 14:57 GMT 

Thanks to all who responded to my questions and supplied answers for all of them ... appreciated. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 16:28 GMT 

Does anyone have this bootleg and if so what is the version of please crawl out like?

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 19:41 GMT 

Pauley wrote:
Does anyone have this bootleg and if so what is the version of please crawl out like?

As far as I know, New York and Newark are not in circulation, whereas San Francisco and San Jose are. So the person who can answer your question is the unnamed collector who acquired the first two from the Grossman estate.

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2019, 20:03 GMT 

Maybe Jeff Rosen....?????????????????????????????????

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2019, 19:57 GMT 

I'm 36. There is hope for me to hear it one day