Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 17:37 GMT 

workingmanblues wrote:
David Kemper Fan wrote:
Never Ending Tour.

Since the beginning (1988) up to 2000. Campbell / Buxter / Watson / Jackson / Sexton...

The core years will get the stellar time and the longest screentime (1994 - 1996). A lot of footage from the shelved NET album (House Of Blues 1996).

In the last RS Interview, it's stated that Daniel Lanois has produced the "Live 96" and Bob has re-recorded the vocals.

The last rs interview didn’t discuss Atlanta 1996 at all. Perhaps another article?

Exactly. It was Uncut Magazine.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/bob-dy ... ward-37964

Planned for a japanese release only. Harp and vocals re-recorded.

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 22:14 GMT 

David Kemper Fan wrote:
workingmanblues wrote:
[quote="David Kemper Fan"]Never Ending Tour.

Since the beginning (1988) up to 2000. Campbell / Buxter / Watson / Jackson / Sexton...

The core years will get the stellar time and the longest screentime (1994 - 1996). A lot of footage from the shelved NET album (House Of Blues 1996).

In the last RS Interview, it's stated that Daniel Lanois has produced the "Live 96" and Bob has re-recorded the vocals.

The last rs interview didn’t discuss Atlanta 1996 at all. Perhaps another article?

Exactly. It was Uncut Magazine.

https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/bob-dy ... ward-37964

Planned for a japanese release only. Harp and vocals re-recorded.[/quote]Excellent save David Kemper Fan. I was cheering for you there

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 23:35 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
TheBoiledGutsofBirds wrote:
No Direction Home
Rolling Thunder Revue

What's next?

The Gospel Years story?
The drunken 1980s/1990s?
The comeback of all comebacks?

I would love to see a documentary based on Dylan's 1991 shows.

Now THAT would be funny!

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 23:39 GMT 

I would have to think that this will be it for Scorsese docs on Dylan. Both Marty and Bob are near 80 now and the time lapses between No Direction Home, Living In The Material World and this is too great for either one to expect or rely on their health allowing them to expect that much time to pass.

Bigger issue is - there isn't much more to work with. Second leg of Rolling Thunder is there, but would essentially be telling the same story as this in reverse (and you can't ignore the elephant in the room of Bob's marriage on that one). And as has been made perfectly clear by everyone involved in this new film, Marty is not interested in doing the same thing twice. He said as much in his YouTube interview for NetFlix - the original assembled cut told a straight forward look at the tour going from location to location. Nice, but conventional - and he stated after viewing that he wanted to see this engage in the creative spirit of the tour as well as the historical aspect. In other words - don't remake No Direction Home again. And he didn't.

The Gospel stuff is possible, but that was and always will be a more difficult sell. I think we've been given all we're going to get on the Gospel stuff in the Trouble No More releases, including what they allowed out of the video content.

Everything after that gets far more problematic and even less commercial - there are many here who will champion various stages of the NET, but the general public sees most, if not all of it, as the guy no one can understand in concert, his voice is shot, he doesn't say anything, he doesn't play the songs the right way, etc etc etc. Yes, a NET doc could address that, but his voice(s) in the last 30 years or so are not made for the general public to readily or easily enjoy. Add on top of that the sparse amount of footage, almost nothing of concert footage barring special one of events (Unplugged, Supper Club, Norah Jones Amazon concert, tv one appearances). Nowhere near enough to put together a coherent narrative of what happened and what was accomplished artistically at any of those key moments. Much less a convincing one - any number of 2000 / 2001 NET concerts are a better example than any single second of the Unplugged special, but because almost nothing exists (or nothing period?) of those years of NET shows, any film would have to rely on Unplugged as video documentation of proof of Bob's renaissance and recommitment as a performer in the 90's and, I'm sorry to anyone who thinks Unplugged is a masterwork, but it isn't the best example of why the NET is great. Plus the NET itself is great for a lot of broader reasons, not just individual moments.

And one would have to assume Bob's choice to *not* document everything in the last 30 or so years is for a reason - he knows what he's doing and he specifically knows he's not self conciously documenting everything to make some self important document of it later on. The NET shows are supposedly recorded off the sound board and that's just about as good as it gets for documentation (and that's been called into question as well - Tell Tale Signs used cleaned up hybrid mixes of multiple sources of audience recordings for some of the later live examples if my memory serves me well). What's been important is the performance and he's leaving it at that. Unless a camera crew starts following them around for the next year or so, there really isn't a lot to work with.

However I'd love to be wrong - and maybe there was someone with a camera at the studio during the recording of Love & Theft or TOOM or Modern Times or all of the albums. And maybe there is a bit more concert footage than we know about.

And I agree with a previous poster here - it definitely would not be called the NET - Bob doesn't see it that way. And I doubt he'd approve of any narrative that tried to make a 1988-present day look at his touring as some kind of cohesive artistic endeavour of his. Although, that said, the Tell Tale Signs release more or less did do that, albeit focusing more on his studio work rather than the live performance.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 04:07 GMT 

Collect all the unused footage from DLB, ETD, Pat Garret, R&C, Hearts of fire and M&A. Create a story that spans decades.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've always been sceptical as to how much Scorcese is involved in these films. No Direction Home had been in the works for several years before Scorcese got involved, and all the interviews had already been conducted. With RTR, Scorecese was told by Dylan's camp a couple of years that it was happening and given the footage. All the van dorp trickery has the hall marks of Chronicles Bob and paint-someone's-holiday-photos-from-brazil Bob.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:32 GMT 

Yep. More than likely Scorsese is an invention too.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:40 GMT 

From watching Scorsese’s regular movies I like to think he’s got a bottom-up fix on things - idea/scene/frame swiftly shifting and here Bobson managed to infer some of his own.

Guess Dylan musta been bored by No direction home

Last edited by ballyho on Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:48 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:47 GMT 

David Kemper Fan wrote:
Never Ending Tour.

As far as I understand him they did not "re-record" harps and vocals but rather did a remix ("And so I had to remix the whole record, putting this little vocal amp on all of his vocals for the whole show.")

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 09:35 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I've always been sceptical as to how much Scorcese is involved in these films. No Direction Home had been in the works for several years before Scorcese got involved, and all the interviews had already been conducted. With RTR, Scorecese was told by Dylan's camp a couple of years that it was happening and given the footage. All the van dorp trickery has the hall marks of Chronicles Bob and paint-someone's-holiday-photos-from-brazil Bob.

I agree, I also think the basic ideas for the films came from the Dylan camp (which is a good thing). Scorsese has the team to put it together. And his name as part of the title of both films generates additional publicity.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 18:40 GMT 

None. Gotta factor in mortality and age.

We waited 14 years between NDH and Rolling Thunder. In 14 years, Dylan and Scorsese will both be in their 90's or dead. Unless they put something out in the next five years or so, I would be somewhat surprised if there was another one. Focus on that final album, Bobby.

PostPosted: Sun June 16th, 2019, 19:58 GMT 

There won’t be one. Not a chance. The trick Dylan missed was not having Nashville and the Blonde on sessions filmed. Not that you can blame him, given the crazy schedule he was on in February-March 1966. That could have made for an epic film.

PostPosted: Sun June 16th, 2019, 20:07 GMT 

If there’s another significant period with both vital musical/film material and an engaged Dylan it’s 79/80. Given Trouble no more I’d say around 2% chance for a third.

PostPosted: Sun June 16th, 2019, 20:32 GMT 

Tartan and Sambuca: Bob Dylan in 1991.

Segment of the documentary

Interviewer: you were pretty intoxicated during those shows, were you in some kind of personal Hell?

Dylan: Nah, I was just putting everyone on, I was sick of seeing all those same faces at the front night after night
and I just figured if I pretended to be drunk and sang those words unintelligibly it would drive them away

Interviewer: did it work?

Dylan: Nope, they just kept coming back for more and more, they even started bringing their nephews
and nieces and cousins and grandchildren and second uncles and aunts and next door neighbours.

Interviewer: so what did you do about it?

Dylan: I got drunk for real

PostPosted: Mon June 17th, 2019, 12:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think something will be done with the hours and hours of Eat The Document footage that has been newly digitised at the Dylan Archive in Tulsa. I don't think it will be a Scorsese porject - i have no idea what it will be - but I'd be surprised if we don't see something cropping up in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 05:20 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I think something will be done with the hours and hours of Eat The Document footage that has been newly digitised at the Dylan Archive in Tulsa. I don't think it will be a Scorsese porject - i have no idea what it will be - but I'd be surprised if we don't see something cropping up in a few years.
Oh, everything will come out in the end. I am 36. I have s lifetime of hearing new Dylan stuff ahead of me ;)
I mean that in the nicest way possible.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 12:02 GMT 

Could he have a Joni Mitchell movie in him? Called Coyote. It would finish out a trilogy with Last Waltz and RTR.

PostPosted: Sat June 22nd, 2019, 08:12 GMT 

BobFan115 wrote:
Could he have a Joni Mitchell movie in him? Called Coyote. It would finish out a trilogy with Last Waltz and RTR.
Featuring all three of the songs which weren't as good as most of her back catalogue which she sang during the rolling thunder? No.

PostPosted: Sat June 22nd, 2019, 11:12 GMT 

Pauley wrote:
BobFan115 wrote:
Featuring all three of the songs which weren't as good as most of her back catalogue which she sang during the rolling thunder? No.

Not just about Joni on the RTR tour, but something on mid-70s Joni - Hissing, Hejira,LastWaltz,work with Jaco, etc.

PostPosted: Sat June 22nd, 2019, 11:29 GMT 

BobFan115 wrote:
Pauley wrote:
[quote="BobFan115"]Could he have a Joni Mitchell movie in him? Called Coyote. It would finish out a trilogy with Last Waltz and RTR.

Not just about Joni on the RTR tour, but something on mid-70s Joni - Hissing, Hejira,LastWaltz,work with Jaco, etc.[/quote]Ok, yeah that would be fine.