Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 24th, 2019, 04:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Contact Bob
PostPosted: Wed June 12th, 2019, 19:57 GMT 

Hello everyone,

I know it sounds silly and it may be a sacrilege to even consider it (especially around other Dylan Hardcore fans) but does anyone know how to contact the man himself? Maybe a post address or maybe a tip of someone who knows someone. I guess Bob doesnt really care about his fans but he has always been such a big part of my life that right now where my life is coming to a forseeable end I made terms with everything that is important and I also wanted to let Dylan know, how much his work has influenced and helped me throughout my life. I have written a letter to Bob (Something of a kind like "Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie"). On the last tour in Europe I encountered Tony Garnier before a concert at a smaller venue in Bielefeld, we just exchanged a few words before he left but seemed to be a cool dude so right now I consider to give the Dylan letter to one of his band member IF I am able to see one of them at the next tour again. Well this sounds like a long shot so has anybody a tip concerning meeting Bob Dylan or some experience with fan letters to Bob?

Thank you all in advance

Post subject: Re: Contact Bob
PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 17:46 GMT 
Titanium Member

hey Mr. Sinclair, welcome! So glad you have said hello and written your letter!

I am sorry I wouldn't know a post address, other than his management?

And, yes, hand delivering to a member of the crew wouldn't hurt,

after all you have posted here in bob's community and that was heard 'round the world!

Bob friends forever!

Take care!

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 20:07 GMT 

I don't mean this in a mean way, honest, but I would guess that letter means more to you than it would to Dylan. I wouldn't bother going through the trouble, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 21:07 GMT 

You could make it if you try, Mr Sinclair.

But you are not the first one who tried to pass on things using a crew member.

In 2000 in Berlin some girls ( not me ) came with cakes. The next day was the Bday concert in Dresden. They did manage to the grab the long haired guitar guy Larry before the concert and asked if he could pass the cakes to Bob. He actually phoned for permission but it was denied. He apologized feeling very uncomfortable showing what a nice guy he was/ is.

The cakes were shared the next day in Dresden among fans and from what I heard they very delicious.

PostPosted: Thu June 13th, 2019, 23:50 GMT 

I think Bob does care about his fans at large. But he has kids, grand kids, countless ex relationships, and people and things he's got to deal with on a daily basis. An analogy could be, a nobody like me, can't listen to everything Bob has done, or view all the other entertainment I enjoy. In both cases, there's just too much out there.

I hope the OP does get in touch. But if he doesn't, it's understandable.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 00:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

One thing that does not work and could get you arrested is showing up at his house and just walking through the gate if it happens to be open.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 00:50 GMT 

You might try contacting his manager, Jeff Rosen.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 01:19 GMT 

Robert Sinclair wrote:
Hello everyone,

I know it sounds silly and it may be a sacrilege to even consider it (especially around other Dylan Hardcore fans) but does anyone know how to contact the man himself? Maybe a post address or maybe a tip of someone who knows someone. I guess Bob doesnt really care about his fans but he has always been such a big part of my life that right now where my life is coming to a forseeable end I made terms with everything that is important and I also wanted to let Dylan know, how much his work has influenced and helped me throughout my life. I have written a letter to Bob (Something of a kind like "Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie"). On the last tour in Europe I encountered Tony Garnier before a concert at a smaller venue in Bielefeld, we just exchanged a few words before he left but seemed to be a cool dude so right now I consider to give the Dylan letter to one of his band member IF I am able to see one of them at the next tour again. Well this sounds like a long shot so has anybody a tip concerning meeting Bob Dylan or some experience with fan letters to Bob?

Thank you all in advance

His address is:

29400 Bluewater Road
Malibu CA 90265

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 04:16 GMT 

It shouldn't be hard to get a hold of Bob. He told someone in a song "I'm not that hard to find, tell her she can look me up if she's got the time".

:arrow: :|
My guess is that Bob goes for weeks or even months with zero contact from anyone outside his circle. Like any normal person his age, when you think about it.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 04:45 GMT 

Not sure what age the op is but I associate the desire to meet/contact Bob with a somewhat adolescent nature, I speak from experience.
I sought Bob out when I was 16 and actually met him, it wasn't anything that could be interpreted as a mystical experience but I am
glad that it happened, I wouldn't seek him out now though.

You're probably better off relying on the law of serendipity, or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 07:37 GMT 

Mary32 wrote:
Not sure what age the op is but I associate the desire to meet/contact Bob with a somewhat adolescent nature, I speak from experience.
I sought Bob out when I was 16 and actually met him, it wasn't anything that could be interpreted as a mystical experience but I am
glad that it happened, I wouldn't seek him out now though.

You're probably better off relying on the law of serendipity, or something like that.

Did you not read the part where he says his life is coming to a forseeable end?

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 09:52 GMT 

Highly unusually, (normally against the law, I think), Dylan's postal mail is stopped at the local sorting office.

It would not be delivered. Or, at least, that was the case in the past. I am going back decade's so that may have changed.

I thought I should warn about it, however.

Band members or Jeff Rosen seem likeliest routes to success, as advised above.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 12:32 GMT 

I bought a very cool one-of-a-kind Johnny Cash t-shirt recently, men's size medium, that I would have loved to be able to give Mr. Dylan. I gave up before I even tried as it just seems too hard to connect. Gave the t-shirt to an ex instead.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 12:49 GMT 

homerthes wrote:
decade's

Evil apostrophe crime. Get back to your grocer's shop.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 14:52 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
homerthes wrote:
decade's

Evil apostrophe crime. Get back to your grocer's shop.

My phone does that to me on purpose all the time [gritting teeth, shaking head, stomping foot]. I wish there was a way to correct auto-correct so that it would no longer assume every plural is a possessive.

PostPosted: Fri June 14th, 2019, 17:57 GMT 

[url] https://network23.org/radiation/2016/04 ... -mail//url]

Sorry, my tablet did that.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 02:41 GMT 

Peggy Night wrote:

My phone does that to me on purpose all the time [gritting teeth, shaking head, stomping foot]. I wish there was a way to correct auto-correct so that it would no longer assume every plural is a possessive.

Yes, it was written on my phone. Yes, as a grammar teacher of over 20 years standing and the son of an academic linguist, it still burns me up to see it on screen. It's the middle of the night as I type this. littlemaggie has killed my chances of sleep.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 06:11 GMT 

I guess now would be as good a time as any to repeat the (quite possibly apocryphal) tale I heard from a Canadian fan at a Seattle show about 10 years ago. Seems this fellow's wife wrote Bob a letter following the release of World Gone Wrong, concerned about his career nearing its end and imploring him to find it within himself to write new songs. Somehow, she found a way to get the letter to Bob via a crew member, or so she hoped. Of course she never expected to hear anything back and never did. But the man I spoke to swore to everyone who could hear that she ended her letter with this exact phrase:

It's not dark yet, but it's getting there.

I don't remember whether or not he was wearing a mask, so I can't say if he was telling the truth. But I thought it was a good story.

I hope your letter finds Bob somehow, Mr. Sinclair.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 06:56 GMT 

movin_after_midnight wrote:
I guess now would be as good a time as any to repeat the (quite possibly apocryphal) tale I heard from a Canadian fan at a Seattle show about 10 years ago. Seems this fellow's wife wrote Bob a letter following the release of World Gone Wrong, concerned about his career nearing its end and imploring him to find it within himself to write new songs. Somehow, she found a way to get the letter to Bob via a crew member, or so she hoped. Of course she never expected to hear anything back and never did. But the man I spoke to swore to everyone who could hear that she ended her letter with this exact phrase:

I don't remember whether or not he was wearing a mask, so I can't say if he was telling the truth. But I thought it was a good story.

Woah, that's weird! Spooky.

Especially odd cos around that time - 1995 - I was devastasted when my aquarium accidentally smashed one day and my beloved but rather fragile-tempered sea cow escaped by throwing itself into my toilet.

I was so distraught, all I could think to do was to write to my hero Bob, asking for his advice. As i was seeing him for the first time in concert later that month in Aston Villa, it seemed a good opportunity - one which i seized by making my way to the front of the audience as the gig began. I waited for the right moment, and as Bob reached the final chorus of 'Tears of Rage', I folded the letter into a paper aeroplane and threw it at him with all my might. Amazingly, it soared through the air and banked and wove towards him, then just as he saw it coming right for him, he reached out and grabbed it and put it in his pocket and carried on singing! You can't see this on the video sadly, because of the angle, but it definitely happened.

Imagine my utter shock 2 years later as I listened to Time Out Of Mind for the first time and heard him sing the very words I began my letter with!
Dear Bob

My sensitive manatee has gone down the drain!

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 11:01 GMT 

Robert Sinclair wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all in advance

leave him alone – unless he wants to contact you.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 13:56 GMT 

slewan wrote:
Robert Sinclair wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all in advance

leave him alone – unless he wants to contact you.

This wasn't Bob's attitude towards Woody.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 19:17 GMT 

Your best bet would be to become a professional boxer and hopes he stops by to visit you at your gym.

PostPosted: Sat June 15th, 2019, 19:28 GMT 

McG wrote:

Especially odd cos around that time - 1995 - I was devastasted when my aquarium accidentally smashed one day and my beloved but rather fragile-tempered sea cow escaped by throwing itself into my toilet.

I was so distraught, all I could think to do was to write to my hero Bob, asking for his advice. As i was seeing him for the first time in concert later that month in Aston Villa, it seemed a good opportunity - one which i seized by making my way to the front of the audience as the gig began. I waited for the right moment, and as Bob reached the final chorus of 'Tears of Rage', I folded the letter into a paper aeroplane and threw it at him with all my might. Amazingly, it soared through the air and banked and wove towards him, then just as he saw it coming right for him, he reached out and grabbed it and put it in his pocket and carried on singing! You can't see this on the video sadly, because of the angle, but it definitely happened.

Imagine my utter shock 2 years later as I listened to Time Out Of Mind for the first time and heard him sing the very words I began my letter with!
Dear Bob

Thank you McG. I always wondered where such a strange line came from. Now I understand.

What I don't understand is why people don't just phone Dylan like I do? His number is listed in the Malibu phone book (you have to know to look for Elston Gunn). He doesn't always pick up first time.

PostPosted: Sun June 16th, 2019, 05:51 GMT 

Location: Well I'm already there in my mind and that's good enough for now
McG wrote:
movin_after_midnight wrote:

Dear Bob

What a great story :)

PostPosted: Sun June 16th, 2019, 05:54 GMT 

My sensitive manatee left me years ago, or so I thought. Turned out she was hiding behind every beautiful thing in my house. Luckily, I had only one beautiful thing in my house (a Starbucks Christmas mug), so I avoided some kind of pain.