Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mother Jones article
PostPosted: Wed June 19th, 2019, 23:21 GMT 

Generally, I am a fan of this publication, but eegads, they let an intern, Abigail Weinberg, with no apparent knowledge of Dylan write this article: https://www.motherjones.com/media/2019/06/in-martin-scorseses-rolling-thunder-revue-a-bob-dylan-story-the-masks-drop-and-the-women-disappear/.

I read it and am literally bubbling over with annoyance. "Sara," according to the article, "is a rare personal song." Never mind "Ballad in Plain D," "Girl From the North Country," "Boots of Spanish Leather," "Don't Think Twice," "Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome," "Wedding Song"--just to mention a few blatantly autobiographical songs. I mean, they're all bloody personal. She says "Just Like a Woman" has aged badly; Baez and Blakely took some of the verses on RTR; and it was the show's finale. I guess she missed "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "This Land is Your Land," in which other performers actually did take verses. And Sara has been erased by Dylan from the story--not because he respects that she's an incredibly private person who hasn't even had her picture taken since Jakob's bar mitzvah, but because of the NDA in their divorce settlement--which explains why he lets Baez say whatever she wants about him.

Really, Abigail should sue Mother Jones for journalistic malpractice. Don't they have fact checkers? Editors? Journalistic standards? An internship should be a learning experience, not a chance to show off your inexperience and ignorance to the whole world.

Okay, I'm done.

Post subject: Re: Mother Jones article
PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2019, 00:42 GMT 

I've always disagreed with people who say JLAW is sexist. It's about maturity, not sex. I really think a woman could cover the song and make it "just like a man/ breaks like a little boy" and the song would keep all its meaning. I mean how many times do people complain about a "man-child"? The concept is identical to the theme of JLAW.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2019, 00:50 GMT 

josemesa wrote:
Generally, I am a fan of this publication, but eegads, they let an intern, Abigail Weinberg, with no apparent knowledge of Dylan write this article: https://www.motherjones.com/media/2019/06/in-martin-scorseses-rolling-thunder-revue-a-bob-dylan-story-the-masks-drop-and-the-women-disappear/.

I read it and am literally bubbling over with annoyance. "Sara," according to the article, "is a rare personal song." Never mind "Ballad in Plain D," "Girl From the North Country," "Boots of Spanish Leather," "Don't Think Twice," "Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome," "Wedding Song"--just to mention a few blatantly autobiographical songs. I mean, they're all bloody personal. She says "Just Like a Woman" has aged badly; Baez and Blakely took some of the verses on RTR; and it was the show's finale. I guess she missed "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "This Land is Your Land," in which other performers actually did take verses. And Sara has been erased by Dylan from the story--not because he respects that she's an incredibly private person who hasn't even had her picture taken since Jakob's bar mitzvah, but because of the NDA in their divorce settlement--which explains why he lets Baez say whatever she wants about him.

Really, Abigail should sue Mother Jones for journalistic malpractice. Don't they have fact checkers? Editors? Journalistic standards? An internship should be a learning experience, not a chance to show off your inexperience and ignorance to the whole world.

Okay, I'm done.

I have never thought in Ballad in Plain D was a bad song, it came from a bad place but it always had a lovely melody and it was sung with honesty.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2019, 04:25 GMT 

Roberta Flack covered "Just Like a Woman", and it's great. I read the Mother Jones piece. It was sort of interesting, but I mostly disagreed and found it a little simplistic.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2019, 19:22 GMT 

Yes a lot of his songs are "personal" but some you have listed can also be termed very impersonal. Sara, the song, cannot hide its content so easily.

PostPosted: Thu June 20th, 2019, 20:54 GMT 

holliswatson wrote:
Roberta Flack covered "Just Like a Woman", and it's great. I read the Mother Jones piece. It was sort of interesting, but I mostly disagreed and found it a little simplistic.

Nina Simone also covered JLAW. It inspired Tom Russell to write a song about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8P4RtKZbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlleeAh-g4s

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 04:27 GMT 

josemesa wrote:
Baez and Blakely took some of the verses on RTR; and it was the show's finale.

The strange thing is that the essay she cites does say this. Still, it's something easily corrected just by looking at setlists or listening to the shows.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 06:44 GMT 

It's a terrible waste of time to get angry about articles that were written for the sole purpose of making people angry.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 09:36 GMT 

I read this and responded to her on Twitter. I didn't like the article, but thought I'd zero in one mistake she makes a lot out of erroneously.

Note how the author, and practically everyone else writing about it, makes the mistake of Joan Baez saying "couple of what?" when someone in the audience yells out "what a lovely couple?" In fact Joan is only repeating what Dylan just said. He mutters it immediately – the mind is quick on that one – as Joan says "don't make myths." Then she repeats it.

This counters her whole argument about Joan. She was only quoting Dylan. Listen closely (easier on video). Dylan says it first.

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 12:21 GMT 

Mary32 wrote:
I have never thought in Ballad in Plain D was a bad song, it came from a bad place but it always had a lovely melody and it was sung with honesty.

Yes, it's a bad, bad lyric with an enchanting tune sung (but not written) honestly

PostPosted: Fri June 21st, 2019, 14:59 GMT 

A piece of media that comes out that gets quite a bit of publicity will ALWAYS get an article like this. Always. From one particular point of view or another. You're either damned for what you do or damned for what you don't. Warranted or not.