Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 01:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

The blues is dead? Tell it to these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 06:21 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Mona Bond wrote:
The blues has been dead for decades. Anyone who still plays it is a zombie making silly guitar faces. Blues musicians were too stupid to notice that the public got tired of hearing the same melody, time signature, and three-chord pattern played over 12-bars. You've heard one blues song, you've heard them all. Only the tempos and the keys change. I needn't waste any words criticizing the genre's cliched lyrics.

Seems you're on the wrong forum hERe. As far as I can tell, Dylan plays that same old three-chord pattern since who knows when.. You can find these "stupid" melodys on all of his albums.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 07:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

They chirp and they chatter what does it matter. It's just one missed stitch in life's rich tapestry

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 11:51 GMT 

Duke brought his wife on tour with him...
Bob flirted with her...
Duke got pissed then left the tour...
Thats what i was told...is it Fact or fiction...
I dunno'

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 12:19 GMT 

Mona Bond wrote:
monklover wrote:

Who is great then? Robillard can play any kind of blues there is and the only other comparable blues player with his scope was Bloomfield.

The blues has been dead for decades. Anyone who still plays it is a zombie making silly guitar faces. Blues musicians were too stupid to notice that the public got tired of hearing the same melody, time signature, and three-chord pattern played over 12-bars. You've heard one blues song, you've heard them all. Only the tempos and the keys change. I needn't waste any words criticizing the genre's cliched lyrics.

Duke was driven out of Dylan's touring band because of his despicable offstage antics, not because he was getting too much applause. It was a "Try to avoid the scandals" sort of thing.

Out of style, not dead. What an ignorant remark. You probably don't know Charlie Parker from Charlie Hebdo.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 15:57 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
The way I remember it is that the Duke was in financial troubles afterwards, did thank his wife for standing by him through that trouble, had to sell some of his equipment, hinted Bob's heavies having threatened him and him walked out after something really nasty happend. It did not at all sound as if he had been fired and payed out of a contract. That would surely not be worth the fuss!

Did duke face financial hardship? I dont remember hearing that. Or about the heavies? Did duke say this. I still think hes making a fuss about nothing and that his gripe is just that he couldnt speak to his bobness after he waspaid off or sacked. I can imagine duke trying to get to bobs room or coach and not being allowed in. But really who knows, its all guess work from dukes cryptic comments.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 16:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

Heavies threatening him? Is this stuff just being made up out of thin air? I hardly think something like that should be repeated without some sort of credible evidence or corroboration. Geeze Louise.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 17:27 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Heavies threatening him? Is this stuff just being made up out of thin air? I hardly think something like that should be repeated without some sort of credible evidence or corroboration. Geeze Louise.

Whilst most of Duke's comments have been annoyingly vague, he has made some slightly more specific ones too:

"It started off great and ended up not-so-great. I really enjoyed playing his material and trying to complement the song and the singing and the interpretation. Especially on the first tour. That was fantastic, nothing but enjoyment. Then we took a break and did a second tour, when he seemed to not know what he wanted. I wasn't doing anything different than on the tour he loved, so it's hard to say what was going on. He's not exactly one to tell you what he's looking for. You have to guess".

(Unsurprisingly, no mention of anything like "oh, and incidentally, his team of bodyguards were going to beat me up").

And from his wife:

"Duke was definitely not fired. He walked away from a very lucrative but caustic environment. When someone you look up to and admire attempts to make YOU feel like less of a person, that's hard to get over. Sorry Duke if I'm speaking for you, and maybe saying too much, but I totally supported your decision to leave. Too bad cuz the band members themselves were awesome".

Note too that Duke's comments have been quite balanced and tame, really. Nowhere near the level of adolescent nastiness displayed by several people here. If anyone is blowing this truly out of proportion, it's those venting their animosity on this thread.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for clearing that up, yellowgoat. I wish someone would advise him to drop it. A no comment would be a sufficient answer in an interview.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:17 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:
raging_glory wrote:

Whilst most of Duke's comments have been annoyingly vague, he has made some slightly more specific ones too:

"It started off great and ended up not-so-great. I really enjoyed playing his material and trying to complement the song and the singing and the interpretation. Especially on the first tour. That was fantastic, nothing but enjoyment. Then we took a break and did a second tour, when he seemed to not know what he wanted. I wasn't doing anything different than on the tour he loved, so it's hard to say what was going on. He's not exactly one to tell you what he's looking for. You have to guess".

(Unsurprisingly, no mention of anything like "oh, and incidentally, his team of bodyguards were going to beat me up").

And from his wife:

"Duke was definitely not fired. He walked away from a very lucrative but caustic environment. When someone you look up to and admire attempts to make YOU feel like less of a person, that's hard to get over. Sorry Duke if I'm speaking for you, and maybe saying too much, but I totally supported your decision to leave. Too bad cuz the band members themselves were awesome".

Note too that Duke's comments have been quite balanced and tame, really. Nowhere near the level of adolescent nastiness displayed by several people here. If anyone is blowing this truly out of proportion, it's those venting their animosity on this thread.

Totally agree, his comments have been very mild. In fact, barely mild. Robillard has freedom of speech and should be able to complain if he feels dissed, would love to know just what the particulars were about. I think the current sound of the band, where the electric guitars are barely audible, may be a clue.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:37 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:
raging_glory wrote:

And from his wife:

Duke Robillard wants Bob Dylan to die.

He wrote & recorded these lyrics:

Svengali

Well, you got a lot of nerve there, buddy
Saying what you said to me
You must've thought you were Svengali
When you sent your messenger for me

I used to be among the many
Who followed you and sang your praise
Now I won't even raise an eyebrow
When they put you six feet in your grave

Now, every door that's closed ain't locked
Every open eye don't have to see
You're gonna pay come time for judgement
For all of those you've wronged like me

(Spoken):

Yeah, you got a lotta of nerve, buddy
Just who do you think you are?
You ain't the Almighty!

And that messenger you sent,
That wasn't no Baptist preacher
You got a lotta nerve, buddy

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:40 GMT 

More like he wont be attending his funeral.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Duke's gotta lot of nerve to pass that off as a song.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:51 GMT 

I didn't know he had written THAT! Jay z would be proud of a diss record like that!

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 18:56 GMT 

Mona Bond wrote:

Svengali

(Spoken):

You ain't the Almighty!

He wants him to die? It clearly doesn't say that.

Anyway, I'm presuming you have ample intelligence to understand the difference between the drama of a song lyric and "the real world". In the same way that the writers of Psycho Killer or Soon After Midnight aren't really going around chopping people up (I assume).

Yes, of course, he clearly is upset/angry. The hinting is annoying. But his fairly mild comments all pale in comparison to the petty sniping by many here, ironically by people accusing him of the very same pettiness.

People can say what they want, of course; but I had generally assumed Dylan fans to be a classier group.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 19:35 GMT 

Yellowgoat wrote:
Mona Bond wrote:

Svengali

(Spoken):

You ain't the Almighty!

He wants him to die? It clearly doesn't say that.

Anyway, I'm presuming you have ample intelligence to understand the difference between the drama of a song lyric and "the real world". In the same way that the writers of Psycho Killer or Soon After Midnight aren't really going around chopping people up (I assume).

Yes, of course, he clearly is upset/angry. The hinting is annoying. But his fairly mild comments all pale in comparison to the petty sniping by many here, ironically by people accusing him of the very same pettiness.

People can say what they want, of course; but I had generally assumed Dylan fans to be a classier group.

Duke married the wrong person.

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 19:46 GMT 

Mona Bond wrote:

Duke married the wrong person.

So did James, by the looks of it!

PostPosted: Thu October 20th, 2016, 22:06 GMT 

Svengali - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Svengali
Jump to Definition - Svengali (/svɛŋˈɡɑːli/) is a fictional character in George du Maurier's 1895 novel Trilby. Svengali is a stereotyped Jewish man who seduces, dominates and exploits.

In this case a married woman...yes like I said in my previous post...
bob made advances and was flirting with dukes wife. So the title of dukes song svegali says it all...
That's why duke left the tour...

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 08:09 GMT 

Im not reading that from dukes wifes comments.

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 10:29 GMT 

Like she said maybe "I'm saying to much" ...
It's all tight lipped at the dylan camp ...
Duke and or his wife would never say oh bob came on to my wife...
Bobs not gonna' kiss and tell...
I was told this from some one in the dylan camp...
Believe it or not...

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 11:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

More unsubstantiated, uncorroborated gossip.

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 12:42 GMT 

gone with the wind wrote:

Believe it or not...

But Duke's statement does not match your theory at all.

Quote:
"[...] Then we took a break and did a second tour, when he seemed to not know what he wanted. I wasn't doing anything different than on the tour he loved, so it's hard to say what was going on. He's not exactly one to tell you what he's looking for. You have to guess".

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 12:58 GMT 

gone with the wind wrote:

Believe it or not...

I dont believe you, im sorry. Yes it has happened in the past. Was it late 70s, so it says in howard souness book. you made a claim but the evidence you submitted was but thoughts of yours :D

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 15:12 GMT 

Now we can only hope for a book from Billy Burnette....

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 19:58 GMT 

Directly from a close friend of Duke's wife...I asked her point blank about Dylan hitting on Duke's wife
"Absolutely not! No way! She would have definitely told me."
I know and believe her. No hitting on Duke's wife by Bob.

She also substantiated Duke's story...to wit...1st half of tour great, 2nd half sucked from rehearsals until he left...Bob very demanding for some reason and not always nice to Duke as he had been in the beginning...according to her, Dylan was verbally abusive...she also substantiated that Duke was out quite a bit of money...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next