Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 23rd, 2019, 03:23 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 15:26 GMT 

mvrox wrote:
So apparently calling the box office works now. I bought a $35 theatre membership, called right at 1000 and they put me in the front row directly in front of Bob at regular price of $100, not the $600 that Ticketbastard is trying to get.

MY bankbook isn't big enough for Ticketmaster.

Getting tickets durect from a booking office venue is such a joy compared to the horrible Ticketbastard algorithims that sell shit seats for very ver high prices.

Two near front seat tickets at one of these Ticketmaster prices equates to a pretty good 10 day summer holiday for 2. Nice apartment, flights, good meals. No comparison!

PostPosted: Wed August 22nd, 2018, 16:41 GMT 

mvrox wrote:
So apparently calling the box office works now. I bought a $35 theatre membership, called right at 1000 and they put me in the front row directly in front of Bob at regular price of $100, not the $600 that Ticketbastard is trying to get. I'm not sure if it helped but I promised the box office guy that I'd bring them donuts if they gave me good seats. Needless to say they're going to be getting donuts this week.

That's very cool, sounds like a nice score! I'm wondering if it depends on the venue if that will work elsewhere? I was under the assumption that those "hot ticket" prices locked up all the first 10 rows or whatever, but even if it takes circumventing Ticketmaster, it would be nice to know there is still a shot at good seats for us "commoners".

I'm not in a rage or furious about the methods of selling tickets, it is what it is. But the closest show was 4ish hours away, and was going to do an overnight trip, but the fact I was dropping hundreds for semi decent seats, before even factoring in hotel and travel costs, I decided to sit this tour out.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 04:23 GMT 

Why do I get the feeling everyone is beating around the bush on this issue?

My last show was three years ago, partly because of the croaky standards and partly the prices.

What is evident is that Bob no longer gives a crap who his audience is. If he wants to play to the 1% in the first 30 rows then there ya go. There was a time when people were saying he was tired of playing to the same faces night after night, the hardcore road warriors. Well, he found a fix for THAT didn't he. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing... These people up front these days, can they even be considered fans? Do they even recognise the songs? Would they even recognise the album versions? But like everything else in life nowadays, nobody counts unless they have the bucks. Unlike Bob, my wages have not quadrupled in the last few years. In fact they haven't gone up one penney in four years. There was a time when he stood up for the common folk. Hard to digest that those times are obviously long gone.
Good on ya Bob, stash that cash.. hope it makes ya happy.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 13:40 GMT 

Lookout Kid wrote:
Why do I get the feeling everyone is beating around the bush on this issue?

My last show was three years ago, partly because of the croaky standards and partly the prices.

What is evident is that Bob no longer gives a crap who his audience is. If he wants to play to the 1% in the first 30 rows then there ya go. There was a time when people were saying he was tired of playing to the same faces night after night, the hardcore road warriors. Well, he found a fix for THAT didn't he. I'm just disgusted by the whole thing... These people up front these days, can they even be considered fans? Do they even recognise the songs? Would they even recognise the album versions? But like everything else in life nowadays, nobody counts unless they have the bucks. Unlike Bob, my wages have not quadrupled in the last few years. In fact they haven't gone up one penney in four years. There was a time when he stood up for the common folk. Hard to digest that those times are obviously long gone.

That's very harsh.

Tickets will likely be out of my reach as well, which pains me dearly, but character assassination isn't going to change that. Do we really know how these prices are set?

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 15:23 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:
Lookout Kid wrote:

That's very harsh.

Tickets will likely be out of my reach as well, which pains me dearly, but character assassination isn't going to change that. Do we really know how these prices are set?

You could say it is harsh but it's an understandable reaction. Near the front ticket's for two for a 1 hr 45min to 2 hr concert are now the price of a decent sun holiday for two for 1 week or more.

These crazy concert prices are not a problem for a certain layer in society, the small very comfortable layer. But they sure are a problem for many of those long standing years long loyal fans of Bob's. I'm kinda sad about all those fans being let down by this pricing.

Personally, I will probably still go see him, but I will be 'sitting in the Gods' with the slabbery drunks and their 'frothy beers'. I value the spare cash I have and want to do other things in my life than spend ALL my holiday money just to be a bit closer to Bob.

Bob will then only ever see the same intense faces, night after night, those who have panic attacks and nightmares over whether they got the 'PIANO ANGLE' right, whether they have missed anything. That's obviously the kind of 'patron' Bob and Co. want up there.

No we don't know who gets what out of these exhorbitant ticket prices. Fair point. But there is a kind of madness in how high these prices are. And the old loyal fans that are getting priced out have every right to comment, in the negative if they wish.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 15:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

I don't think it is harsh at all.
I think it is the uncomfortable truth that most fans at a site like this do not want to face.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 16:23 GMT 

I'm not saying don't comment, believe me I'm devastated I most likely won't be able to go. But until I know more about how prices are set I'm not going to character assassinate Bob. Do you really think he's directly involved in it? Like they call him and he says "charge so and such and x my fans" with some evil laugh. I mean sheesh.

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 17:23 GMT 

Some of these comments are completely over-the-top. I'm grateful every single day that Bob continues to tour. The cost of maintaining an operation like this and paying everyone involved is extensive, and the cost of security at these venues has obviously increased exponentially in recent years. I don't pay for the premium tickets and have always been able to secure great seats at every show for a reasonable price. Ticketmaster provides the invaluable service of everyone having equal access to tickets regardless of their location (no more waiting in long lines if you were nearby or dialing in for hours to phone ticket agents and having very little control over seat selection).

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 19:54 GMT 

lovethatcountrypie wrote:
Some of these comments are completely over-the-top. I'm grateful every single day that Bob continues to tour. The cost of maintaining an operation like this and paying everyone involved is extensive, and the cost of security at these venues has obviously increased exponentially in recent years. I don't pay for the premium tickets and have always been able to secure great seats at every show for a reasonable price. Ticketmaster provides the invaluable service of everyone having equal access to tickets regardless of their location (no more waiting in long lines if you were nearby or dialing in for hours to phone ticket agents and having very little control over seat selection).

If Ticketmaster really did provide everyone with equal access, there would not be so many tickets on third-party sites before the sale even begins, which seems to happen very often. There is also the issue of presales; in many cases, this means that the wealthy donors to certain venues get access to tickets before others.

And while I know that some people seem to be very fortunate at getting great seats for less than face value, many of us have never figured out their secrets. And for someone who would have to fly to a show, it isn't always easy to wait until the last minute to secure a seat. So despite very little inflation over the last decade (speaking of America, at least), seeing Dylan has gone from around $100 for GA or a seat in the first 10 rows to around $350-$600 for such a seat. That's a pretty big shift. As someone else noted, we can speculate on where the massive increase in money goes, but it's hard to think that it can be fully (or even mostly) explained by an increase in the cost of putting on the shows. I won't begrudge Dylan for making as much money as possible through his concerts, memorabilia, deluxe bootleg editions, signed graphics, signed Nobel speech, etc., etc. But it seems fair to me to say that things have changed....grave

PostPosted: Thu August 23rd, 2018, 23:49 GMT 

Many people like to complain and feel victimized. Because it's something I care very deeply about, I find it more advantageous, with much persistence and patience, to make things work for me.

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 00:14 GMT 

Many people like to complain and feel victimized. Because it's something I care very deeply about, I find it more advantageous, with much persistence and patience, to make things work for me.

Sorry Pie but I have to say this. That's a silly comment right there.

Nobody said they feel VICTIMISED. People are simply comparing the value for money of a single €600 seat at a relatively short concert with some of the other things that can be purchased in this life for the same money.

It's quite a sensible approach. By comparing prices they are not being VICTIMS but rather they are making their money work in the best way for them.

Oh and nobody here said that Bob Dylan gets ALL of this money, nor did anybody say that he has any 'evil' intentions with this pricing strategy.

The people who are complaining, as is their right to complain, are simply saying the tickets are over priced. Why inject all these emotional words; victimisation, caring deeply, evil eye etc.

Bob Dylan has been in the music business (business being defined in it's simplist terms as simply buying and selling) for donkeys years. He's well able to take a bit of criticism about pricing. It's all just business at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 12:08 GMT 

I think I made it a point to say, repeatedly, that Bob has the right to do as he pleases, and don't recall even dropping the slightest hint at being "victimized". I simply said based on current ticket prices and what it would entail for me to see a current show (travel, overnight stay, etc) I've decided to see this tour out, as for me, the cost vs value of what I would get is just not there. If you view that as "complaining" because we have a difference of opinions, ok, well I guess that is your choice, if it makes me you feel better.

I've also said numerous times, I don't need to be "guaranteed" the best seats in the house, simply that besides these "hot ticket" packages, it would be nice if some of the seats were left open so others like myself could at least have a theoretical shot at a good seat without needing to drop $500+ per ticket, or need to have an American Express for some presale, or be a member of some theatre to quality for a presale. It would be nice to simply log in when the tickets are released to the public, to at least have a chance at getting some nice seats.

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 13:03 GMT 

mvrox wrote:
So apparently calling the box office works now. I bought a $35 theatre membership, called right at 1000 and they put me in the front row directly in front of Bob at regular price of $100, not the $600 that Ticketbastard is trying to get. I'm not sure if it helped but I promised the box office guy that I'd bring them donuts if they gave me good seats. Needless to say they're going to be getting donuts this week.

Good score there! Which venue?

A friend tried this tactic for Springfield Symphony Hall and was told they "aren't selling any new memberships right now".

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 14:18 GMT 

$575 front row packages. All the good seats gone to high dollar and then spend $100 for balconys to look at his back. This sucks. Where are the 35 Ithaca tickets from 2013. Have fun you rich bastards!

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 16:12 GMT 

GirlsWon'tLeaveMeAlone wrote:
It's all just business at the end of the day.

That's the main problem.
For Bob's management, for the management of the venues it's all just business.
We are the only ones in this game, who don't deal with "Bob Dylan" as an object of a business.
For us Bob, his music, lyrics and performances are non-commercial part of our lives - although we often have to pay for it.
Thanks God there are places like ER, which are small not commercial islands.

PostPosted: Fri August 24th, 2018, 17:30 GMT 

HopE wrote:
Thanks God there are places like ER, which are small not commercial islands.

I agree with that Hope. Well said!

PostPosted: Mon August 27th, 2018, 04:39 GMT 

Just noticed this article in the Guardian.

Seems Viagogo, that secondary seat sale company, basically a massive form of touting, illegal in many countries, has moved in on the USA. Is that part of this US price hike story?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... o-new-york

PostPosted: Tue August 28th, 2018, 11:38 GMT 

jalov wrote:
Just for the record, I am not implying I have some sort of right to good seats, but moreso feel it would just be nice to at least have a shot at them, without having to pay some insane-o "hot ticket" price as my only option.

I think Bob shows should have a 'lucky dip' ticket option, where you pay a low price and then are assigned your seats randomly on the day, with a chance of ending up right at the front. The Rolling Stones have been doing that for the last few years.

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2018, 03:43 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
belleseb32 wrote:
Yeah, I was loving the current setlist and looking to attend my first show since 2015 but those prices are keeping me away. Ain't no show I'd be willing to pay more than $100 for.

How about $117?

That’s what I paid.

Still a bit high for me. I'd really prefer to go with my wife, and $200+ for an evening out is too expensive. I love Dylan shows, but they're just not that much better to me than other bands I like to see at a fraction of the cost. Heck, I've seen Dylan plenty of times at a fraction of that cost, so I don't feel too obliged to pay up :-)

That said, I'm sure folks who plunk down their cash will have a good time. The current tour seems to be pretty wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2018, 19:09 GMT 

Reminder guys of how the ticket game works in 2018. Be patient...tickets will drop closer to show date, and secondary market prices will come down. Unless you get lucky, don't sweat the initial offering. If you want to go to the show, you can get an (affordable) ticket if you are patient.

PostPosted: Wed August 29th, 2018, 20:25 GMT 

mvrox wrote:

Will you tell us afterwards if they not put you in front of Bob but in the front of the piano? It‘s the place where he used to hide these days. I‘d strongly recommend a seat in rows 4 to 6.

PostPosted: Tue September 11th, 2018, 16:31 GMT 

I'll take a pass on $90 rear balcony seats.

PostPosted: Fri September 14th, 2018, 20:41 GMT 

restless fever wrote:
I'll take a pass on $90 rear balcony seats.

Yeah definitely a tough pill to swallow. I'm going back and forth if I want to spend $185 on two tickets to see him at The Met, in the last row of Loge seating. For laughs I checked out some other seats...$375 (before fees and taxes) for one seat in the 13th row. That is pretty much bonkers, lol.

PostPosted: Fri September 14th, 2018, 20:49 GMT 

compared to ticket prices in Europe (especially Germany and Scandinavia), the ticket prices for the US tour are rather moderate (except for the front row packages)

PostPosted: Mon September 17th, 2018, 15:32 GMT 

holy cow...just tried to get McCartney tix for a friend....
1300 per ticket and it wasnt even the front row!
500 for tix behind mix position in 100 level.
everything else sold out in seconds.
needless to say, i aint got no ticket to ride.
$2000 for front row!