https://isitrollingbobtalkingdylan.podbean.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/is- ... 1437321669

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 14:50 GMT 

Somebody Naked wrote:
Come gather round people, wherever you roam
There's a brand new podcast to download on your phone:

https://isitrollingbobtalkingdylan.podbean.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/is- ... 1437321669

For this alone, I'm going to download this.

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 17:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

is it any good?

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 17:30 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
is it any good?

Yea it's ok. David Hepworth dominates it, with mixed results. He had
an interview with Bob in '86.
I think it works depending on the guest. At least it's a conversation
with knowledgable people from first impressions.

PostPosted: Mon October 1st, 2018, 18:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Haven't listened yet, but the covert art on iTunes for it is much better than the other Dylan podcasts I've heard.

PostPosted: Tue October 2nd, 2018, 15:07 GMT 

I got through about 10 minutes. .. Seems like the main guy doesn't really even like Bob, and made a couple "money chasing" comments that gave me some gringes... comes off as anti-Semitic-ish to my ears. ... But, as I stated - only gave it about 10 min of my time.

Something separate - That Patty Smith hosted podcast from many years back (2004 area?) was excellent. I recommended it to someone a couple months back and the Legacy website it's on either doesn't have all (12?) the episodes anymore or at the very least makes it impossible to get to them.

If anyone knows a good site that has living links of that please let me know. Twould be much appreciated. ... Really loved those ... always skipped the 3 or 4 Newport based ones, and thought the last ones were best. ... Think it's David Kemper that tells a story about freaking out next to Bob in the back of a car that had a bunch of screaming fans crawling on it, and Bob telling him to settle down because it's only love .... or something along those lines. Good stuff. Love to hear it again and pass it along to a friend as well.

PostPosted: Wed October 3rd, 2018, 09:40 GMT 

OldHenryLee wrote:
I got through about 10 minutes. .. Seems like the main guy doesn't really even like Bob, and made a couple "money chasing" comments that gave me some gringes... comes off as anti-Semitic-ish to my ears. ... But, as I stated - only gave it about 10 min of my time.

Something separate - That Patty Smith hosted podcast from many years back (2004 area?) was excellent. I recommended it to someone a couple months back and the Legacy website it's on either doesn't have all (12?) the episodes anymore or at the very least makes it impossible to get to them.

If anyone knows a good site that has living links of that please let me know. Twould be much appreciated. ... Really loved those ... always skipped the 3 or 4 Newport based ones, and thought the last ones were best. ... Think it's David Kemper that tells a story about freaking out next to Bob in the back of a car that had a bunch of screaming fans crawling on it, and Bob telling him to settle down because it's only love .... or something along those lines. Good stuff. Love to hear it again and pass it along to a friend as well.

First of all no way was it anti semtic.

I listened to it last night I thought it was ok, nothing great, you ain't really missing out if you don't listen to it, but its fine to pass the time and have on in the background if you are doing something around the house. There was a part though when all 3 spoke at the same time it may have only been for 10/15 seconds but on a podcast its very annoying and listenable. I agree with the part about not liking Bob, came across as a fan of the 60s stuff and nothing else. I know everyone has a different tastes and I'm not saying that everyone has to like "blood on the tracks" or "desire" but for a Bob podcast it wasn't what I was hoping for.

PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2018, 13:56 GMT 

Always looking for Dylan podcasts. Thanks for sharing. Been enjoying the Bob Dylan Album by Album podcast. Nice breakdown of each song without being to dry or pretentious. Worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2018, 15:29 GMT 

the_hurricane wrote:
OldHenryLee wrote:

First of all no way was it anti semtic.

I listened to it last night I thought it was ok, nothing great, you ain't really missing out if you don't listen to it, but its fine to pass the time and have on in the background if you are doing something around the house. There was a part though when all 3 spoke at the same time it may have only been for 10/15 seconds but on a podcast its very annoying and listenable. I agree with the part about not liking Bob, came across as a fan of the 60s stuff and nothing else. I know everyone has a different tastes and I'm not saying that everyone has to like "blood on the tracks" or "desire" but for a Bob podcast it wasn't what I was hoping for.

I did say "ish" & "to my ears." ... But nevertheless, especially in these overly sensitive times that is definitely a hot button type term that in hindsight I should have avoided using to express my opinion.

It just seemed to me from his words & overall tone that he didn't like Bob all that much and it turned me off from the get.

PostPosted: Sat October 6th, 2018, 16:48 GMT 

So good to see so many new shows on Dylan popping up!

A reminder that you can listen to all past episodes of Definitely Dylan here: https://www.definitelydylan.com/
It's a radio show, not a podcast because I wanted to actually play the performances I'm talking about. For example, last week I played the first ever performance of Tombstone Blues, solo acoustic from the Contemporary Songwriters Workshop at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965.

PostPosted: Sun October 7th, 2018, 04:15 GMT 

Laura wrote:
So good to see so many new shows on Dylan popping up!

A reminder that you can listen to all past episodes of Definitely Dylan here: https://www.definitelydylan.com/
It's a radio show, not a podcast because I wanted to actually play the performances I'm talking about. For example, last week I played the first ever performance of Tombstone Blues, solo acoustic from the Contemporary Songwriters Workshop at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965.

Thanks for this - I just did a short road trip today and listened to the most recent episode. Will certainly check out the other episodes. This will make my commute much more tolerable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon October 8th, 2018, 15:26 GMT 

David Hepworth? Euuuuggggggggggh! Avoid.

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 21:03 GMT 

Quote:
I got through about 10 minutes. .. Seems like the main guy doesn't really even like Bob, and made a couple "money chasing" comments that gave me some gringes

Yeah, I'm trying to get into this but...there is a lot of negativity and not much new information. In the new episode they go on a rant of what a horrible filmmaker Bob is, and use Masked & Anonymous as an example (uh... :? ).

One guest wasn't aware Bob had made any films, another said Masked & Anonymous "was possibly the worst movie ever made," and the third said he had it on DVD but hadn't watched it. Cool.

PostPosted: Thu October 11th, 2018, 22:13 GMT 

Cold Irons Bound wrote:
Quote:
I got through about 10 minutes. .. Seems like the main guy doesn't really even like Bob, and made a couple "money chasing" comments that gave me some gringes

Yeah, I'm trying to get into this but...there is a lot of negativity and not much new information. In the new episode they go on a rant of what a horrible filmmaker Bob is, and use Masked & Anonymous as an example (uh... :? ).

One guest wasn't aware Bob had made any films, another said Masked & Anonymous "was possibly the worst movie ever made," and the third said he had it on DVD but hadn't watched it. Cool.
Good god, although we do know any idiot can have a podcast.

Not relating to what I have just said but now I think about I am surprised this forum hasn't got a podcast, I know there are a few already but with the Bob knowledge on here and the in-depth analysis of songs/gigs/writtings etc with the right posters involved i think it could work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 09:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

the_hurricane wrote:
Not relating to what I have just said but now I think about I am surprised this forum hasn't got a podcast, I know there are a few already but with the Bob knowledge on here and the in-depth analysis of songs/gigs/writtings etc with the right posters involved i think it could work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've often thought this too.

I quite liked that the guests weren't Bob know-it-alls. To be fair, the one that didn't know bob had made any films was 15. They had made their names outside of Bob-dom (acting, journalism), so they had a different angle. It wasn't particularly enlightening, but it was interesting.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 09:42 GMT 

Cold Irons Bound wrote:
Quote:

I don't know how far you've listened to it but 'a lot of negativity' is one side comment
by one of the participants who says he doesn't think Dylan is a good film maker.
And a comment on TTL two minutes before the end. Otherwise it's overwhelmingly
positive. I kind of enjoyed this one. David Morrissey and his 14 year old son have very
personal perspectives on their favourite albums (BOOT - dad & TOOM -son). (It
was the son who did not know about Dylan the film maker, though he was passionate
and surprisingly insightful otherwise). Another thing that was touched on was how
the album culture (and concept album culture) continues to engage a new generation.
It's not an in-depth musical or textual analysis. But it's an engaging conversation about
how Dylan's work merges with our personal lives and how his position as an artist evolves
generationally.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 15:24 GMT 

With episode 1 it turned me off because of the guest being to me not merely critical, but something darker. ... Nothing to do with the hosts, so I gave number 2 a try.

Way better vibes going on with episode 2. .... even the criticisms of stuff the guests provide comes off as stuff they just didn't enjoy or maybe haven't taken the time to fully understand. .... Light hearted opinions and a good enough listen.

.... You know, a basic podcast about someone the guests have a sincere affection for and at least comes across as respectful (again, only heard like 10min of the first episode).

Agree with geradv's deeper analysis of it.

Lastly, hope the guests there go on & see Bob live. Think they'd be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri October 12th, 2018, 16:01 GMT 

Also, I mentioned an older podcast mostly (first several anyways) hosted by Patti Smith on my first post on this thread. .... It's by far the best I've heard and hope the newer fans on hERe get the chance to hear it sometime.

I still can't seem to find out how to obtain all 12(either 12 or 13) episodes. ... If anyone could please help me with acquiring them please post on this thread or PM me.

Alldylan has a thing on it with links, but they're doneski.... not available.

For anyone not familiar of em here's the first episode:

http://podcasts.legacyrecordings.com/ro ... art-1.html

That first episode also comes up on a basic Google search on a couple other sites than Legacy. ... The problem I'm having is getting to all the episodes. .... Especially the later ones. Must confess I don't have the best set of skills with doing this sorta thing hence asking for assistance with it. ... or maybe they're just gone forever.

If anyone out there does take a shot at helping me with this - Thank you for your time and efforts whether successful or not.

More back on thread topic - Hope these guys or one of the newer podcaster's covering Dylan end up scoring Chris Shaw as a guest. ... Believe it'd be a top notch listening experience.

PostPosted: Thu November 8th, 2018, 18:39 GMT 

Latest episode has NME writer Paul Morley.
Paul is pretty knowledgeable and is evidently
a mammoth fan.

PostPosted: Sun February 3rd, 2019, 16:55 GMT 

I've listened to all 10 (an 11th is out tomorrow) and have very much enjoyed.

PostPosted: Mon February 11th, 2019, 22:55 GMT 

Latest episode is out and as entertaining and insightful as ever.

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 10:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I've really been enjoying these. The last one (loosely) on Every Grain of Sand was great.

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 10:24 GMT 

Really appreciate the warm words, Bobcats. We put a lot of work into them and have a great time doing them. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 10:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Somebody Naked wrote:
Really appreciate the warm words, Bobcats. We put a lot of work into them and have a great time doing them. Thank you.

Aha! I didn't know you were behind these podcasts. I always figured you were American.

PostPosted: Tue February 12th, 2019, 10:44 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Somebody Naked wrote:

Aha! I didn't know you were behind these podcasts. I always figured you were American.

Ha! The mystery is all. Kerry's Canadian; I'm the other one.