Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat May 25th, 2019, 19:49 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Sat April 13th, 2019, 00:08 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
Probably not a question anyone can answer (yet) but is there anything in this set that isn't already available aside from the fancy packaging and the fact that it is now going to be an official release?

As you say, no one can really answer that yet.

BUT if the speculation/rumors about 3 discs of '75 rehearsals is accurate (big "if") then those discs would be largely new to us. Presently only "People Get Ready" and the various tracks that were extracted from the Renaldo & Clara soundtrack are circulating, not enough to fill even a single CD. Plus, the Renaldo & Clara tracks as we currently have them are often fragmentary and/or have film dialogue over them (presumably, that's not how they'd be presented on the RTR box). These rehearsals are a potential goldmine.

PostPosted: Sat April 13th, 2019, 00:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude. I hope I'm wrong but aside from Trouble No More, the last few releases have not lived up to the hype in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat April 13th, 2019, 02:34 GMT 

jman wrote:
I have it on very reliable word that information will be forthcoming.

Ha! :wink:

There's no way they'd announce an RTR release while they were skating on the PR from the Record Store Day release of the BOTT original test pressing.

The test pressing is in the news every day - why would they want to step on that?
I think (and call me out if I'm wrong) we're still at least a week away from an announcement.

PostPosted: Sat April 13th, 2019, 16:34 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
jman wrote:
I have it on very reliable word that information will be forthcoming.

Ha! :wink:

There's no way they'd announce an RTR release while they were skating on the PR from the Record Store Day release of the BOTT original test pressing.

The test pressing is in the news every day - why would they want to step on that?
I think (and call me out if I'm wrong) we're still at least a week away from an announcement.

What is so great about the test pressing? Can anyone explain that to me?

PostPosted: Sat April 13th, 2019, 18:20 GMT 

The test pressing (or first pressing, aka New York Sessions) was how the album should have sounded if Bob didn't decided at the end of December 1974 to rerecord it in Minneapolis.
The mood of the album was more austere and had better cohesion, in the same vein as Simple Twist Of Fate, Meet Me In The Morning, and Shelter From The Storm (somber, melancholic, acoustic only). The biggest difference was with Idiot Wind, with its beautiful Hammond Organ.
With Bootleg Series 14 (More Blood More Tracks), we now have all the tracks from the first sessions in New York (used for the test pressing), except for the correct dub on Idiot Wind. The test pressing for Record Store Day 2019 fixed that omission. We could say it was a lost album finally released.

Regarding Rolling Thunder Revue, I hope we will have an announcement this week. I'm however surprised by the lack of informations on the Netflix biopic (no trailer, no clear release date, no shoots, etc.). I hope it isn't a sign of a delay.

PostPosted: Sun April 14th, 2019, 08:46 GMT 

Sad but Bob appears to be investing in his past with recent releases and not what's in the future, if anything. None of the real record shops I went into yesterday had the Blood test album ... where I live there were several 'record shop days' but not the official sort and nothing new (or old new) in any of them. Maybe someone who gets it will up up a download somewhere....

PostPosted: Sun April 14th, 2019, 08:51 GMT 

Canute wrote:
Sad but Bob appears to be investing in his past with recent releases and not what's in the future, if anything. None of the real record shops I went into yesterday had the Blood test album ... where I live there were several 'record shop days' but not the official sort and nothing new (or old new) in any of them. Maybe someone who gets it will up up a download somewhere....

Is it only available physically or on download at some point?

PostPosted: Sun April 14th, 2019, 11:11 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
The test pressing (or first pressing, aka New York Sessions) was how the album should have sounded if Bob didn't decided at the end of December 1974 to rerecord it in Minneapolis.
The mood of the album was more austere and had better cohesion, in the same vein as Simple Twist Of Fate, Meet Me In The Morning, and Shelter From The Storm (somber, melancholic, acoustic only). The biggest difference was with Idiot Wind, with its beautiful Hammond Organ.
With Bootleg Series 14 (More Blood More Tracks), we now have all the tracks from the first sessions in New York (used for the test pressing), except for the correct dub on Idiot Wind. The test pressing for Record Store Day 2019 fixed that omission. We could say it was a lost album finally released.

Regarding Rolling Thunder Revue, I hope we will have an announcement this week. I'm however surprised by the lack of informations on the Netflix biopic (no trailer, no clear release date, no shoots, etc.). I hope it isn't a sign of a delay.

Scorsese's stuff has been subject to epic delay for some years. 'Silence' had lawsuits
filed because of the postponements. The Irishman was first announced in 2014 and
expected by 2016. It's been in the works since 2010. The RT movie is small fry compared
to any of the major Scorsese work. They just now pulled 'The Irishman' from Cannes '19
as it's not ready, sending the film festival organisers into crazes.

As for the BOTT test pressing, great thing it's there. The NY Idiot wind may well be the
superior version. It's certainly more pained and searing. The overwhelming flaw of BOTT
New York however is that the WHOLE album is in the key of E. Regardless of how great
the songs are, if you have more than 4 songs in a row in the same key, you're going to
be paying a toll in monotone.

PostPosted: Sun April 14th, 2019, 12:29 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:

While More Blood More Tracks (6 CDs) has all the takes from the test pressing, the test pressing also has unique mixes/edits/overdubs throughout (not just on Idiot Wind) that are not on More Blood More Tracks (6 CDs). The test pressing is different from any other release of the Blood On The Tracks material.

Back to the topic of this thread: It's possible that there is a slight delay on the release of the Scorsese movie (maybe Dylan's people have not signed off on the final edit yet), which will result in a slight delay of the official announcement of the 1975 Live Recordings box.

PostPosted: Sun April 14th, 2019, 18:26 GMT 

The film has been submitted to ratings boards, so the edit is definitely fixed. We know it's coming sometime in May, no reason at all to believe it's been delayed.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 06:22 GMT 

20yearsofschooling wrote:
The film has been submitted to ratings boards, so the edit is definitely fixed. We know it's coming sometime in May, no reason at all to believe it's been delayed.

Source? :D

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 11:08 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Source? :D

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/rolling-thunder-revue-bob-dylan-story-martin-scorsese-2019

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 12:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

midnightcowboy wrote:

Very interesting. The film board suggest the release date is 3 August, which sounds plausible. Some interesting tid bits:

Quote:
LANGUAGE
There is strong language ('f**k')

DRUGS
A man talks about LSD being his "drug of choice" and another man referring to, in song lyrics, "junkies in the hall."

There is a use of the word 'n*****' in the lyrics of the song Hurricane.

Any idea what the 'junkies in the hall' song is? Hopefully we'll get live footage of Hurricane.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 12:48 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Any idea what the 'junkies in the hall' song is?

From Allen Ginsberg's "New York Blues":

I live in an apartment
Sink leaks through the walls
Lower east side full of bed bugs
Junkies in the halls

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 12:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks, I bow to your superior knowledge! How do you think it might be included in the film? Did Ginsberg perform it at any of the RTR shows, or in R&C? Or did he record it in the 70s? Or will Sharon Stone be reciting it?...

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 13:21 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Or will Sharon Stone be reciting it?...

Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 13:48 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
midnightcowboy wrote:

Very interesting. The film board suggest the release date is 3 August, which sounds plausible. Some interesting tid bits:

Quote:
LANGUAGE
There is strong language ('f**k')

DRUGS
A man talks about LSD being his "drug of choice" and another man referring to, in song lyrics, "junkies in the hall."

There is a use of the word 'n*****' in the lyrics of the song Hurricane.

Any idea what the 'junkies in the hall' song is? Hopefully we'll get live footage of Hurricane.

I would ignore the August 3rd assumption. The dates are in UK format. It was classified on 14/03/2019, so presuming the release date is in the same format (safe to assume as it's a British organisation and website) it's 8th March, which clearly it wasn't.

I was under the (wrong?) impression that this was only about 1975 too but the description given states: ROLLING THUNDER REVUE: A BOB DYLAN STORY BY MARTIN SCORSESE is a documentary about Dylan's Rolling Thunder revue tours of 1975 and 76.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 14:19 GMT 

If the docu is about 1975 AND 1976 why is the coming box set only about 1975 ???

Is it cause we get a similar box set with 1976 material ???

Can it be that way ???

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 18:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I saw something that said the documentary was going to be two hours. So maybe part one is 75 and part two will be released later this year with 76? It could have been a misprint. The documentary is 4 hours.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 18:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Did anyone go to the screening in Nyack, NY with Rob Stoner?

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 18:18 GMT 

115th wrote:
If the docu is about 1975 AND 1976 why is the coming box set only about 1975 ???

Is it cause we get a similar box set with 1976 material ???

Can it be that way ???

Yes (so the consesus seems anyway, based on unknown shadowy sources).

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 18:19 GMT 

I am invited by Bob himself and we will watch it at a private screening.

Sara is there, too.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:12 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I saw something that said the documentary was going to be two hours. So maybe part one is 75 and part two will be released later this year with 76? It could have been a misprint. The documentary is 4 hours.

The BBFC site says 142 minutes. I've no idea if that'd be just part one or both parts or whatever really.

PostPosted: Mon April 15th, 2019, 20:22 GMT 

subterranean wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

The BBFC site says 142 minutes. I've no idea if that'd be just part one or both parts or whatever really.

Two hours 22 minutes. That length's been confirmed for some time.
And that's the whole doc.

PostPosted: Tue April 16th, 2019, 07:29 GMT 

gerardv wrote:
subterranean wrote:

Two hours 22 minutes. That length's been confirmed for some time.
And that's the whole doc.

That's what I thought, so where are these four hour guesses coming from?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next