Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon July 22nd, 2019, 16:55 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 14:53 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
wormington wrote:
Heard the Jeff Slate podcast now while doing some boring work on excel. Purty cool. Somebody naked enlarging yet some more his stature in the forum after his already legendary chronicles of the 66 tour!

Here´s a humble request from my side for the future. Should you interview anyone involved on the Tulsa archives, I would be very interested in knowing if anyone knows whether there are any tapes/recordings of the 1977 "I´m cold" songs.


I'll certainly ask! Maybe I'll save that question for T Bone Burnett...

That's just me dreaming, by the way. He's not in the diary. And thanks for the kind words.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 15:07 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4700
Andy Muir would be a great guest - vast knowledge, consummate gentleman abd a new book on Bob and the other bard coming soon...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 16:32 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
In all honesty, we do have a list. Some have been asked. Some will be. We've got lots in the tank, as it were; but will continue to seek out the best guests that we can get.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 18:56 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2811
I'll do it, although I'd rather have a BJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 19:34 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
McG wrote:
I'll do it, although I'd rather have a BJ

I have listened to the podcast and get the reference, but still am outrageously offended!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 7th, 2019, 19:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2811
wormington wrote:
McG wrote:
I'll do it, although I'd rather have a BJ

I have listened to the podcast and get the reference, but still am outrageously offended!


Sail your Hail Marys and whip yourself 100 times, the shame will pass.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18th, 2019, 18:21 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat January 3rd, 2009, 15:19 GMT
Posts: 9237
Location: Desolation Row
The ratso episode was terrific. Thanks for putting it together.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 18th, 2019, 18:48 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
Thanks! We enjoyed that one too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 09:47 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
Got a new one out now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 12:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun October 8th, 2006, 02:33 GMT
Posts: 4292
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Thanks! Very entertaining. I'm a big JWH fan. So, this was particularly interesting to to listen to. Some pretty humorous stuff in there, too, especially when you start talking about Dylan's live shows.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 14:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
I'm very fond of Dan's Dylan impression.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2019, 18:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun October 8th, 2006, 02:33 GMT
Posts: 4292
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Somebody Naked wrote:
I'm very fond of Dan's Dylan impression.


It's actually pretty good. These podcasts have been great Sunday morning entertainment for me. They're much appreciated!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 09:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
I have by now heard the majority of the podcasts, very entertaining stuff, and btw, I love the opening theme (what is it?).

Also, on the one I heard just now (Jon Canter), one of you says that the electric version of Blind Willie McTell is better than the piano/accoustic one. Was that you? If so, I have a question for you:

WTF?!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 09:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
wormington wrote:
I have by now heard the majority of the podcasts, very entertaining stuff, and btw, I love the opening theme (what is it?).

Also, on the one I heard just now (Jon Canter), one of you says that the electric version of Blind Willie McTell is better than the piano/acoustic one. Was that you? If so, I have a question for you:

WTF?!


Thank you. Pretty sure that was Kerry (the Canadian one). I don't agree with him, but may have found myself making agreeable noises - I like it a lot, but I think the BS version takes it.

Thank you for asking about the music. It means that I can give my brother Sam a plug on his birthday. It's an unreleased, instrumental version of a song he wrote called Distant London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojJT0WeCgu0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23rd, 2019, 09:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
Somebody Naked wrote:
wormington wrote:
I have by now heard the majority of the podcasts, very entertaining stuff, and btw, I love the opening theme (what is it?).

Also, on the one I heard just now (Jon Canter), one of you says that the electric version of Blind Willie McTell is better than the piano/acoustic one. Was that you? If so, I have a question for you:

WTF?!


Thank you. Pretty sure that was Kerry (the Canadian one). I don't agree with him, but may have found myself making agreeable noises - I like it a lot, but I think the BS version takes it.

Thank you for asking about the music. It means that I can give my brother Sam a plug on his birthday. It's an unreleased, instrumental version of a song he wrote called Distant London.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojJT0WeCgu0

A job well done by your brother, the song swings.

If you ever feel like making an episode with a totally unremarkable, grey, dull and overexcited fan who´s happy to rant about each one of his records, chuckle together about his favorite lines of the San Francisco press conference, etc. give me a buzz.

Guessing all travel costs (I live in Spain) would be covered by you...?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 08:16 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
I hope you're all enjoying the Michael Gray podcast: our first two-parter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 10:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
If my memory serves me right (and normally it doesn´t), Al Kooper said on an interview that of all of Dylan´s biographers Michael Gray is the least one to be trusted.
I never read any of his stuff.
I shall listen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 11:44 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri January 11th, 2008, 12:47 GMT
Posts: 301
Location: City That never Sleeps
When is the second Michael Grey podcast available or is it up already?

Also, try and get Christopher Ricks on! I think he is excellent but I know not everyone shares that opinion. Bob also requested to meet him backstage a few years back which I think is fascinating.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 14:18 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
wormington wrote:
If my memory serves me right (and normally it doesn´t), Al Kooper said on an interview that of all of Dylan´s biographers Michael Gray is the least one to be trusted.
I never read any of his stuff.
I shall listen


The great thing about Song and Dance Man is that Michael makes no speculations about Dylan's private life: it's a critical study of the work and that alone. So I'm not quite sure what Kooper's beef is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 14:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 14th, 2015, 07:15 GMT
Posts: 526
Philly joe Remarkable wrote:
When is the second Michael Grey podcast available or is it up already?


Check Twitter tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 16:16 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
Somebody Naked wrote:
wormington wrote:
If my memory serves me right (and normally it doesn´t), Al Kooper said on an interview that of all of Dylan´s biographers Michael Gray is the least one to be trusted.
I never read any of his stuff.
I shall listen


The great thing about Song and Dance Man is that Michael makes no speculations about Dylan's private life: it's a critical study of the work and that alone. So I'm not quite sure what Kooper's beef is.

He was talking about inaccuracies, strictly musical, how so many people had the wrong story about what went on around Dylan´s 60s period, which of course he knows first hand.
Still not 100% he mentioned Gray, but think he did. I´ll try to look for the clip, it´s on youtube.

Update: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01IE0vVN08c

26:10 is when he mentions Gray. You can tell from his tone he really does not appreciate him. Before that there´s a long rant about writers and journalists who have all the details wrong.

Btw, anyone who hasn´t seen this video of Kooper talking about the recording sessions of Blonde on blonde is in for a treat


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 17:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 16th, 2009, 12:57 GMT
Posts: 1620
I guess I have now diminished the interest in your podcast.
I'm so much cuter when I keep my mouth shut, right? :|


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2019, 21:35 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 10th, 2016, 12:46 GMT
Posts: 2811
Has anyone been on one of his Dylan weekends? Shudder.

http://www.michaelgray.net/dylan-weekends.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2019, 21:56 GMT 

Joined: Sat July 31st, 2010, 06:41 GMT
Posts: 873
McG wrote:
Has anyone been on one of his Dylan weekends? Shudder.

http://www.michaelgray.net/dylan-weekends.html


Why shudder when you can enjoy the large sitting-room, sizeable pool, and terrace (where meals are taken communally) - and all for such a reasonable price?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2019, 22:40 GMT 

Joined: Mon April 6th, 2009, 20:28 GMT
Posts: 1082
Location: I was there for a party once
I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to the second part.

See if you can get Stephen Scobie to come on; though haven't heard much from him in a while, I thought Alias Bob Dylan was a great book.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hero4life, jefpar, Still Go Barefoot, summerteeth, The Wicked Messenger


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group