Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 24th, 2019, 04:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 18:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

finbar wrote:
The most memorable concerts are always the ones that were never recorded......absence of evidence allows speculation and mythology to fill its void.

One of the best Bob shows I ever saw was one that hasn't been taped, or at least circulated (Barrie Ontario July 2017). I remember Bob pounding on the keys like Jerry Lee Lewis and wailing like a banshee and an "Early Roman Kings" that made the whole venue levitate. But if a tape shows up, it'll probably sober up my memory like a splash of cold water in the face.

True.
We recently went through a mini-version of that with '1952 Vincent Black Lightning' not long ago in the Americanaramalamadingdong days.

I'd trade never hearing SLC for some continuous Bootleg Series coverage of '78 up through the present day, instead.

PostPosted: Fri March 8th, 2019, 19:12 GMT 

I agree with both of you, but this one time (for me, anyway), memory and actual performance were indistinguishable. I am fortunate enough to have attended the 2018 Macon Coliseum show, front row balcony, just above the soundboard. I remember thinking, hoping (if I were a praying man, that, too) that a nice quality recording would surface. I had to wait longer than I thought I might, but when Soomlos' capture arrived, the show was even better than what I heard live! -- How is that possible!

Others claim, maybe rightfully so, that either Chattanooga or Youngstown or Thackerville (maybe all three) is a better performance, but Macon is so good (and I'm so biased) that I have a difficult time comparing.

Having a record of a show I attended that was so stunning -- it rocked, it swaggered, it surprised, it roused strong emotions -- is probably the highlight of my 45+ years of being a Bob Dylan fan.

Sorry for that - now back to the Bootleg Series 15 discussion :)

PostPosted: Fri May 3rd, 2019, 10:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

‘75 Netflix box is settled.
So perhaps we’re back to Nashville Cashline
Sessions as a Bootleg Series release?

PostPosted: Sat May 4th, 2019, 03:11 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
^ not unrealistic ^

With the next Copyright fears,
it seems like Nashville Cashline.
Dylan Inc. could put a nice bow around it or simply do a dump.

Someone mentioned the Richard Alderson coffee thing or The Villager tapes.
I say, enough of that era already.

Let’s get NETing!
Post of the year.

PostPosted: Sat May 4th, 2019, 05:59 GMT 

Thought about a NET bootleg today. Could they be waiting for it to end?

PostPosted: Sat May 4th, 2019, 12:03 GMT 

RedLightMind wrote:

Could be, but there's really no reason. They have had/still have so much in the vaults!
Besides, The NET itself is 31 years old -- too much variation. Of course there was that odd 'Live 1961-2000', but Dylan was a punk rocker in '88 compared to the elder statesman he is today.

When they do start releasing the NET, it will probably be broken up into different eras, maybe based on different bands, different guitarists. The interest for any single one of those eras would be far less than Rolling Thunder, MBMT, Cutting Edge, etc.

PostPosted: Sat May 4th, 2019, 15:29 GMT 

Dylan's consigliere said that the 1969 sessions with Johnny Cash are scheduled for release this year in order to keep the recordings from falling into the public domain in the EU, he just wasn't sure if they would be a Bootleg Series release. With a publication of "Chronicles Vol. 2" now a possibility for later this year, maybe they will make the 1969 sessions a tie-in with the book?

PostPosted: Sat May 4th, 2019, 19:44 GMT 

Interesting. And Chronicles Vol. 2 if there is one, I hope he will start talking about the L+T, MT, TTL and Tempest Recording sessions. Seems like a bit of a black spot in that area, as far as public knowledge goes

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 09:11 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
RedLightMind wrote:

Could be, but there's really no reason. They have had/still have so much in the vaults!
Besides, The NET itself is 31 years old -- too much variation. Of course there was that odd 'Live 1961-2000', but Dylan was a punk rocker in '88 compared to the elder statesman he is today.

When they do start releasing the NET, it will probably be broken up into different eras, maybe based on different bands, different guitarists. The interest for any single one of those eras would be far less than Rolling Thunder, MBMT, Cutting Edge, etc.

No doubt these shows will be made available when they work out the best way to monetize a streaming service and finally ditch physical media.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 10:38 GMT 

McG wrote:
summerteeth wrote:

No doubt these shows will be made available when they work out the best way to monetize a streaming service and finally ditch physical media.

This monetisation could only be successful if they possess soundboard recordings sufficiently superior to attract money from people who already are in possession of perfectly legal and frequently excellent audience recordings. These technological advances have ensured that a majority of the recordings of at least the second half of the NET are much superior to the kinds available, for example, in the forthcoming Rolling Thunder set. Oddly, the typical Dylan fan might be more inclined to part with his money for a concrete CD set in order to replace his perfectly acceptable audience-recorded mp3 set.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 11:10 GMT 

"Rolling Stone" magazine, September 25, 2017:

The latter (The Never Ending Tour) is a particularly challenging project since it involves over 2,800 concerts between 1988 and the present day. Dylan's road crew has been recording shows dating back to the beginning of the Never Ending Tour, but the quality of them up until the mid-2000's is less than stellar.

"Some of them are recorded on DAT or other formats of the moment," says the source. "Who knew they wouldn't last? For a lot of years during the 1990s, there were these two fans and they would go and each would wear recording equipment in their hats and they'd sit in different sections so that the stuff would be stereo. Those tapes sound better than our board tapes."

In recent years, many artists have started offering their fans recordings of every single concert. Nugs.net – which facilitates this service for Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Phish, Metallica and many others – have approached Dylan's team without any luck. "We're not big believers in the live download the ways those guys are doing it," says the source. "People like it and we've thought about it for a lot of years, but we just don't know."

One problem the source points to is the lack of manpower on the road to oversee the taping. "In regards to front-of-house sound, we don't have the kind of organization that Bruce Springsteen has," says the source. "They have someone doing a separate mix and they're looking at it as a profit center. We focus our energy on what the live sound sounds like. If you get a board tape that someone hasn't done a remix of, you're always disappointed in what they sound like. They're not as electric as the shows themselves. That's one reason we choose the Rolling Thunder period. Someone was doing a separate board mix. All the way back to Richard Alderson, who did the 1966 tour, some engineers take it upon themselves to do both, but that is very hard."

But couldn't the Dylan organization simply hire a separate sound engineer to go on tour and create a mix for downloads? "That's not where we're at," says the source. "Again, our focus is to try and present a show in the moment to the people. And also, I don't know how many downloads we want to have out there. We're more excited about curating new stuff for people. If people really want to find that stuff, it's all over the Internet."

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 11:22 GMT 

^^That makes sense to me.

And I will say, of all the live shows I've been to, from Springsteen to Pearl Jam to R.E.M. and more, the sound quality of the recent Bob shows in Paris was head and shoulders above any other band I've seen.

I think there is something to be said for the whole 'in the moment' thing that's mentioned above. The audience recordings from SPOT are extraordinary and could pass for official releases anyway, so I'm happy to have those and then have the memory of what it was like to sit there in the theatre.

They've obviously worked hard to make the sound quality as good as possible. Also, I'm 33 so I obviously missed the previous decades of live Bob, so curating stuff like RTR is perfect for me as opposed to more recent shows. Saying that, if they have good stuff from 1997-2002 then I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 12:07 GMT 

PJDylanRAF wrote:

And I will say, of all the live shows I've been to, from Springsteen to Pearl Jam to R.E.M. and more, the sound quality of the recent Bob shows in Paris was head and shoulders above any other band I've seen.

I think there is something to be said for the whole 'in the moment' thing that's mentioned above. The audience recordings from SPOT are extraordinary and could pass for official releases anyway, so I'm happy to have those and then have the memory of what it was like to sit there in the theatre.

They've obviously worked hard to make the sound quality as good as possible. Also, I'm 33 so I obviously missed the previous decades of live Bob, so curating stuff like RTR is perfect for me as opposed to more recent shows. Saying that, if they have good stuff from 1997-2002 then I'd love to hear it.

The period you mention is well-covered by some excellent audience recordings of some great performances. To quote the Dylan representative above, they're 'all over the internet', some not too very far from this discussion forum.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 12:41 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
PJDylanRAF wrote:

The period you mention is well-covered by some excellent audience recordings of some great performances. To quote the Dylan representative above, they're 'all over the internet', some not too very far from this discussion forum.

I've briefly browsed the downloads section, but unfortunately a lot of links to previous years are dead now. I'm sure I'll locate them if I look harder :D

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 13:38 GMT 

PJDylanRAF wrote:

I've briefly browsed the downloads section, but unfortunately a lot of links to previous years are dead now. I'm sure I'll locate them if I look harder :D

That's interesting. I've been "listening through" the NET for the past couple of years, and the downloads section has had almost every highly-rated show I wanted. I'm up to the year 2000, and out of 100 shows, I've only had to go back to my whining external hard drives a few times.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 13:59 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
PJDylanRAF wrote:

That's interesting. I've been "listening through" the NET for the past couple of years, and the downloads section has had almost every highly-rated show I wanted. I'm up to the year 2000, and out of 100 shows, I've only had to go back to my whining external hard drives a few times.

I'm a total novice when it comes to these years, so I'm not entirely sure which shows are considered 'must-hear'.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 14:28 GMT 

PJDylanRAF wrote:

I'm a total novice when it comes to these years, so I'm not entirely sure which shows are considered 'must-hear'.

I'm no expert, but here are a couple of places to start:

https://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54702

https://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14350

Beginning there and then paging through the "Discuss Rare Performances" forum, I made a spreadsheet. Occasionally someone will rave about a show not on anyone's radar, and I'll add it.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 15:22 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
PJDylanRAF wrote:

I'm no expert, but here are a couple of places to start:

https://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54702

https://expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14350

Beginning there and then paging through the "Discuss Rare Performances" forum, I made a spreadsheet. Occasionally someone will rave about a show not on anyone's radar, and I'll add it.

Very helpful, thank you! I'm downloading some compilations, and then I'll branch out into specific shows.

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 18:39 GMT 

PJDylanRAF wrote:

Very helpful, thank you! I'm downloading some compilations, and then I'll branch out into specific shows.

The sweet spot is late '99 through spring '04

PostPosted: Sun May 5th, 2019, 23:37 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
PJDylanRAF wrote:

I seem to be seeing a lot of good performances on YouTube from 2000, especially.

PostPosted: Tue May 14th, 2019, 11:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Dylan's consigliere said that the 1969 sessions with Johnny Cash are scheduled for release this year in order to keep the recordings from falling into the public domain in the EU, he just wasn't sure if they would be a Bootleg Series release. With a publication of "Chronicles Vol. 2" now a possibility for later this year, maybe they will make the 1969 sessions a tie-in with the book?

Not sure about the book actually being a real possibility.
The music, yes.

Certainly Dylan, Inc. could make a nice little memorial package on ‘69.
No need for a giant deluxe thing.
A high quality version of what we know is fine.
Hopefully a few surprises too.

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 08:43 GMT 

Bootleg Series 15 : Strolling Thunder- Detroit 15th May 2015 - soomlos recording, Bennyboy remaster*

Just put it out there, Columbia - and pay me enough to retire please - you know it makes sense.

*For those of you who haven't heard this miracle of modern science, even those with the inferior Hungryhoss tweak, a PM is not advisable at all

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 10:52 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
PJDylanRAF wrote:

I'd say 1997-2002, for the NET. 1975-1976 was excellent and 1986-1987 were also very good. And the gospel period of 1979-1981.

PostPosted: Thu May 16th, 2019, 11:25 GMT 

I'd love to see a set focusing on the GE Smith years, 1988-90.

PostPosted: Sat May 18th, 2019, 14:15 GMT 

PJDylanRAF wrote:
I seem to be seeing a lot of good performances on YouTube from 2000, especially.

There were great shows on every leg of the "Never-Ending Tour". Cologne is the best from 2000 (outstanding Gates Of Eden, unique Cold Irons Bound).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next